Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DeepMind 12 Yes / No?

edited August 2022 in Hardware

I have the physical space for a DeepMind 12, but I don't have a particular need to own one given that software does so well these days, plus I have a Kong Kronos X as well as a few other keyboards / controllers, none of which emulate exactly what a DeepMind 12 can do, after-all it is a physical control surface emulating some of the analog synth attributes from days gone by, plus a pretty nice onboard multi-effects processor - but I'll not be sonically-deprived if I don't buy it. On the other hand, it is a learning experience to have all those controllers attached to a reasonably functional keyboard.

I have a chance to buy one in great shape used for $475 USD (total), which seems to be a really good price. I can't really justify it from a practical / sonic point of view, but I've never owned an analog synth - well I know it’s really a hybrid, but it has the controllers attached to a reasonably functional keyboard, to provide a similar user experience.

I'm a guitarist / vocalist / keyboardist, so I so like to play physical keys, and the idea of having all those controllers with immediate real-time access might be a fun learning experience, or it might be a waste of space and time, I do not know.

Talk me into it or out of it!

Comments

• edited August 2022

One caveat: deep menu diving which can take the fun out of playing

• For $475 I say go for it. It’s an amazing synth, and if you ultimately end up not liking it you can probably sell it for what you paid for it.

• I have one….it’s deeper than most think
    Lfos in the audio range
    Pretty great mod matrix
    Nice effects selection that really doesn’t sound like anything else

For the money it’s great
    Way more than a Juno clone that everyone thinks it is

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I have one….it’s deeper than most think
    Lfos in the audio range
    Pretty great mod matrix
    Nice effects selection that really doesn’t sound like anything else

For the money it’s great
    Way more than a Juno clone that everyone thinks it is

I absolutely agree, it’s why I have the keys and desktop.

• Thank you guys! I think I'll buy the beast, it should be educational at the least and great fun at best.

• edited August 2022

@puppychumful said:
    Thank you guys! I think I'll buy the beast, it should be educational at the least and great fun at best.

Enjoy, Jorb on YouTube has created classic patches for it and excellent tutorials.
    Also there’s the Deepmind 12 free app, great for choosing effects setup and step sequence, you can connect your iPad via wireless to the DM12.

• There was a time I was interested in one. Apparently it has a fan in it.

Over time I realised I shouldn’t be wanting one as I already have three Matrix 1000 units (one has a hum, got to dismantle it and find out why when I get some time).

However, last year when the Dreadbox Nymphes came out (you don’t hear people talk about that much now, since the release fuss) I thought that was a far simpler more elegant way of getting a useful poly sound.

On the other hand I hardly sequence any chords at all, so I should probably stay with an iPad polysynth if I didn’t have the trio of Matrix 1000.

• @u0421793 said:
    There was a time I was interested in one. Apparently it has a fan in it.

Over time I realised I shouldn’t be wanting one as I already have three Matrix 1000 units (one has a hum, got to dismantle it and find out why when I get some time).

However, last year when the Dreadbox Nymphes came out (you don’t hear people talk about that much now, since the release fuss) I thought that was a far simpler more elegant way of getting a useful poly sound.

On the other hand I hardly sequence any chords at all, so I should probably stay with an iPad polysynth if I didn’t have the trio of Matrix 1000.

You can set the fan level low, almost inaudible unless the environment is warm.

• Before I buy that Deepmind 12.

I do wonder whether my Korg Kronos X covers enough of the same ground as the Deepmind 12, so that the Deepmind 12 would be more or less redundant. By that I mean, I wonder if my Korg Kronos X can not only get equivalent sounds to the Deepmind 12, but has an equivalent effects processor section plus sufficient rotary and slider encoders, to emulate the features of the Deepmind 12.

Anybody know?

• Anybody willing and able to comment on my Korg Kronos X versus the purchase of the Deepmind 12?

• @puppychumful said:
    Anybody willing and able to comment on my Korg Kronos X versus the purchase of the Deepmind 12?

With up to 200 voice polyphony I would say your X can definitely do chords!

As far as analog sounding patches, I would say so.

Nothing like real analog oscillators and the price for the 12 seems to be reasonable.

I understand the desire to want analog.

You only live once!

• edited August 2022

I agree, my Kronos X is a modern monster, but I wonder how it would compare in terms acting as an emulator of the Deepmind 12's tactile functionality, you know, from a user experience perspective, in additional to a sonic comparison.

• Closest on the iOS platform to the DM12 is TAL-U-NO-LX, it is a very good analog emulation, if the Kronos can get anything that gives you the same sort of analog vibe, then maybe give the DM12 a miss and look for something a little more esoteric that the Kronos can’t emulate.

• I've had that thought too, i.e. the newer Korg Wavestate or Hydrasynth Explorer.

• Look what I found! DeepMind12 and Kronos

• Stop pondering and buy the DM.
    It's an amazing synth, I love mine.

If you don't like it you'll be able to flip it to someone else for the same price-ish.

• edited August 2022

My take. No…

It’s a good synth but never really sounds that great to me. I’d prefer Tal with your Kronos and some decent iOS FX.

• I also own a hydrasynth desktop….it’s pretty different, but hydra is just amazingly easy to program…and can sound big and fat, or thin and metallic. You can’t really go wrong with a hydrasynth, especially if you just want to make new sounds like crazy.

I own an iridium desktop as well, and even though I was worried about the crossover with it and the hydra synth …they sound nothing the same. So win win on that.

Deepmind is capable of some really out there sounds…at first before I bought it I had a fantom 6 and I really thought the Juno model and the deep,ind we’re gonna be ‘same territory’. Not hardly, the deepmind name says it all…the effects are unique to other synths… I don’t think they are the best effects ever made…but they are quite different sounding and can be modulated so get on one and give that a whirl too.

I am gassed on synthesizers though so I would travel to a dealer or friend that has the deepmind or hydrasynth and check them out and see if that is what you are into. Feel is everything

• Don’t overlook a peak or summit either …it’s one of my all time favorites