Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ge lab (mooer) don’t Appears in audio bus

edited August 2022 in General App Discussion

Hi everyone I just bought the audio bus app to record with mooer ge lab in Cubasis 3, but ge lab does not appear in the audio bus input options, Amplitube and bias fx appear which are the apps that I also have but not ge lab, what am I missing?

Comments

• @Gatus said:
    Hi everyone I just bought the audio bus app to record with mooer ge lab in Cubasis 3, but ge lab does not appear in the audio bus input options, Amplitube and bias fx appear which are the apps that I also have but not ge lab, what am I missing?

Is GELabs AUv3 or IAA? It looks like it may only drive audio output, and not play nice with other audio apps. Maybe it appears under System, when it's already loaded.

Why, exactly, did you buy Audiobus to record GELabs into Cubasis 3?

• I bought audio bus to record in Cubasis because if I try to load directly in Cubasis as Inter app audio it freezes or doesn't seem to work very well, and in the Cubasis manual they mention audio bus as a good alternative.

But I think the problem is Ge lab, since it does not say if it is IAA or AU v3.

• GELABs is just an IAA effect.

• edited August 2022

It seems strange to me because what made me think that it would work is that inside cubasis the 3 apps appear inside the Internal App Audio.

• @Gatus said:
    I bought audio bus to record in Cubasis because if I try to load directly in Cubasis as Inter app audio it freezes or doesn't seem to work very well, and in the Cubasis manual they mention audio bus as a good alternative.

But I think the problem is Ge lab, since it does not say if it is IAA or AU v3.

It is not AUv3. I think a lot of people using it with other apps which is why one hears very little about here anymore. There are more reliable alternatives that sound as good or better.

• @Gatus GE Labs is IAA only and it doesn’t work well if your DAW sample rate is set to 48kHz or 96kHz. It will glitch, crash, and distort. It’s not common knowledge, but GE Labs only works at 44.1 kHz (or 88.2). There’s not even an option to change the sample rate inside GE Labs, and unlike other apps, it doesn’t self-correct. You can only adjust the buffer size inside GE Labs, which I’d recommend switching from 256 to 128 to slightly improve latency. 256 buffer is fine too. Your iOS device probably defaults to 48kHz sample rate, and Cubasis does as well probably. So that could be your issue. There’s no reason for Ge Labs not to work reasonably well in Cubasis, just set Cubasis sample rate to 44.1. And as @espiegel123 has mentioned there are several better guitar app options out there these days that are AUv3. As far as IAA, I’d rate them Bias GE Labs Amplitude from worst to least worst.

Weird that Ge Labs doesn’t show up in AudioBus. It does show up as IAA in apps like AUM and Multitrack Daw. It could be Audiobus not scanning your device properly or GE Labs not communicating with Audiobus properly. It’s not uncommon.

• edited August 2022

@JoyceRoadStudios

. And as @espiegel123 has mentioned there are several better guitar app options out there these days that are AUv3. As far as IAA, I’d rate them Bias GE Labs Amplitude from worst to least worst.

What options for emulation of guitar amps and effects would you recommend?

• @Gatus said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios

. And as @espiegel123 has mentioned there are several better guitar app options out there these days that are AUv3. As far as IAA, I’d rate them Bias GE Labs Amplitude from worst to least worst.

What options for emulation of guitar amps and effects would you recommend?

I am a fan of both TH-U and the various Nembrini amp sims (the BG EXtasy may be the most versatile single amp sim on iOS). With either, I usually also use OwnHammer cabinet IRs. For effects, I mostly use a la carte AUs. TH-U has a lot of stomp box/rack gear emulations that can be purchase a la carte or in bundles.

The TH-U amps that I use are almost always what they call rigs (similat to Kemper profiles) which are a la carte offerings.

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

If you do want to try Audiobus, try loading GE Labs in an FX slot, not as an input. Add your guitar interface as the input, and Cubasis as the output.

But, if the problem is sample-rates, then that may not help fix the issue.

• Also, you may need to launch the Mooer app first.

• edited August 2022

@Gatus stability, sound quality, fidelity, realistic feel, these are the benchmarks of a good guitar app, regardless of genre. The more recent guitar apps are all AUv3. This doesn’t make them necessarily better than IAA apps of the past, it’s just that they happen to be better in almost every case. AUv3 is also much more convenient to use for so many reasons. You can open them inside DAWs without having to exit, you can run several instances of an AUV3 app in a project at the same time. AUv3 is much better for iOS multi-app integration, but can also be used standalone in most cases. Anyway you probably know all this already.

For a comprehensive guitar suite app (amps, cabs, effects, features), there is Overloud TH-U. It’s free to start. It sounds great and is super stable. You can buy “Rigs” a la carte, which are modeled using captures of real amps (like Kemper), they use impulse responses for cabinets, combine them with the effects and stomp boxes, for the best results. You can also use their free and affordable packages of amp sims and cab sims, like what Bias or Ge Labs offer, some of which are authorized emulations of real amps like what Amplitube offers. Overloud is the best of this kind of app in terms of sound and feel. Some people don’t like the user interface, because even though you have visuals of the components, you don’t really adjust the knobs but rather a slider menu that pops up for each component. I actually prefer it this way. Anyway try it for free and see if you like it better than Bias etc…

Many people also like ToneStack Pro, which is now AUv3. It’s also good and comprehensive, but since it’s an older app I feel that the sound quality and feel is of an older generation. Not as “realistic”. Some may disagree.

Since it’s iOS and you can mix and match and stack apps, it’s not so important to have just one comprehensive guitar app. Some people like it all in the box or standalone, but you can easily mix and match apps in cubasis or AUM or any other DAW. Think of it like a pedalboard. For this reason you must look at Nembrini and all of their offerings. Rather than one giant guitar app, Nembrini is all single amps and effects. But they’re considered the best by many. I would tend to agree. Nembrini and Overloud are currently as good as it gets on iOS. You can play each Nembrini amp you buy standalone, or combine it in a DAW chain with other effects, from Nembrini or other developers. You can buy one Nembrini amp, and then load Overloud before it and use its free effects, for example. Nembrini amps and effects are single masterpieces, easily combined with anything else in the iOS ecosystem. So it’s more about what you want, a giant app with everything inside of it or a DAW like Cubasis where you mix ingredients.

There’s also Rhino from Aurora DSP, also great. It’s kind of like a 4 channel pre-amp, with pre and post onboard effects, and impulse responses. Very quirky user interface with cryptic terminology, but it’s basically a smaller comprehensive guitar app.

Strictly for Fender/Vox clean stuff with good reverb and impulse responses, there is db audioware 20th anniversary, formerly Flying Haggis. Visually simple but gets the job done.

For an effects suite there’s BYOD by Chow DSP, free and great. Visually primitive which is preferred by some.

To sum it up, get a couple of Nembrini amps, get a few free or cheap Nembrini effects, combine it with free Chow effects, get some other effects like FAC Chorus or Eventide or whatever, and build your rig and your tone. If that’s too daunting and you want just one app to do it all like a Bias or Amplitube, then try Overloud or Rhino. But whatever you do, buy just one Nembrini amp of your choice, hear and feel the difference. Something as simple as using stock impulse responses, instead of cabinet emulation, already makes a huge difference.

• @wim said:
    If you do want to try Audiobus, try loading GE Labs in an FX slot, not as an input. Add your guitar interface as the input, and Cubasis as the output.

For some reason Ge Labs doesn’t show up anywhere in Audiobus. Seems strange.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@wim said:

It doesn't have Audiobus support implemented. I kind of figured all IAA apps would work in Audiobus, but that may not be the case. They may have to have the Audiobus SDK implemented.

@Michael?

• @wim said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@wim said:

It doesn't have Audiobus support implemented. I kind of figured all IAA apps would work in Audiobus, but that may not be the case. They may have to have the Audiobus SDK implemented.

@Michael?

Curious. Apps don't need to be built with the audiobus sdk to show up in audiobus..that's only needed for supporting Audiobus special features.

• @michael: GELabs shows up in Loopy Pro and AUM as an IAA effect, but not in AB3.

• AB3 supports AUv3s, but basic IAA (no AB3 support) it won't show