Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence and AUM playhead sync

Does anybody has succeed to sync the playhead, the song position between Xequence and AUM ?

I can sync the transport (play, stop) but not the song position pointer from Xequence to AUM neither from AUM to Xequence.
ad but no ... nada...

Comments

• Currently Loopy Pro and Beatmaker 2 are the only ways to get SPP.

• Song Position Pointer support is planned "some day" for AUM. Right now it isn't supported.

• @wim said:
    Song Position Pointer support is planned "some day" for AUM. Right now it isn't supported.

its been included for a few months now. its under the midi clock enable section.

• Anyone have a template for Audiobus/ X2 / AUM? I want to have all three sync and how route midi out of AUM via (midi AUs), recorded into X2, and output back into AUM.

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:
    Song Position Pointer support is planned "some day" for AUM. Right now it isn't supported.

its been included for a few months now. its under the midi clock enable section.

That's for outbound only though.

I haven't tried syncing X2 timeline from AUM song position pointer.

• edited August 2022

@wim said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:

ah...i swear it was following my hardware song pointer, but i could just have the AUM transport mapped.

its been awhiel since i have touched anything at all :(

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

@wim said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:

Wait ... Xequence 2 doesn't slave to MIDI Clock, does it? I think it can only be the master. If that's still correct, then Sending Song Position Pointer from AUM won't do anything.

X2 follows Ableton Link, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't follow MIDI Clock.

@SevenSystems ? Is that correct, or am I just having a "senior moment" here.

• @wim said:

@wim said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:

Wait ... Xequence 2 doesn't slave to MIDI Clock, does it? I think it can only be the master. If that's still correct, then Sending Song Position Pointer from AUM won't do anything.

X2 follows Ableton Link, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't follow MIDI Clock.

@SevenSystems ? Is that correct, or am I just having a "senior moment" here.

No senior moment... Xequence can only send MIDI sync, not slave to it.

• Thanks for your answers. Indeed, I was able to make it work with loopy pro.
    AUM is however the one I take to explore and create, I am looking a solution to go from the exploration process to production without pain: Xequence 2 is the guy for everything concerning MIDI, very nice software. But remain sync of audio recording (mainly voices and guitare).
    While I like loopy pro, the audio mixer is not as handy as the AUM.

• @Sylvain said:
    Thanks for your answers. Indeed, I was able to make it work with loopy pro.
    AUM is however the one I take to explore and create, I am looking a solution to go from the exploration process to production without pain: Xequence 2 is the guy for everything concerning MIDI, very nice software. But remain sync of audio recording (mainly voices and guitare).
    While I like loopy pro, the audio mixer is not as handy as the AUM.

There's an upcoming AUM update. Not sure what it will entail. Keeping my hopes up for something cool for handling audio tracks

• @SevenSystems
    I wonder if this would be feasible :

• a simple AUV3 plugin to record and play audio receiving midi as song position pointer
    • a special Xequence track sending midi song position instead of regular notes to that plugin located somewhere.

I am guessing that if the regular song position link cannot work in AUv3 plugin it can be coded by combination of note (and velocity) and/or cc to cover long audio at beat resolution.

Just brain storming ….

• @Sylvain said:
    @SevenSystems
    I wonder if this would be feasible :

• a simple AUV3 plugin to record and play audio receiving midi as song position pointer
    • a special Xequence track sending midi song position instead of regular notes to that plugin located somewhere.

I am guessing that if the regular song position link cannot work in AUv3 plugin it can be coded by combination of note (and velocity) and/or cc to cover long audio at beat resolution.

Just brain storming ….

Hey,

yes, such a plug-in would technically be no problem... the Xequence project could just have a single "sync instrument" that has "Send sync" turned on and pointed to AUM, then for that plug-in you'd just have to enable "AUM Destination" as a MIDI source. (this assuming that AUM doesn't somehow filter out sync messages from incoming MIDI to "AUM Destination"... I haven't tested this, but why would it?)

I've seen a multitude of "audio track plug-ins" surface in the past few years. Does none of them support MIDI sync? (only host sync) (I guess I wouldn't be surprised, as host sync obviously makes the most sense from a plug-in perspective and if anything , the HOST would normally sync to incoming MIDI Sync and then the plug-ins would be fine anyway)

• On another note, Is there any possibility of a Xequence version that is itself an AUv3 plugin? Then i could load in into AUM like i do with Atom and LK, but it would have the sequencing powers of Xequence 2. That seems like an ideal solution to me. But i’m probably missing something 🙂

• @Shabudua said:
    On another note, Is there any possibility of a Xequence version that is itself an AUv3 plugin? Then i could load in into AUM like i do with Atom and LK, but it would have the sequencing powers of Xequence 2. That seems like an ideal solution to me. But i’m probably missing something 🙂

Or i could load it into Loopy Pro and use it to record and edit performances, instead of Loopy’s built-in piano roll that isn’t very robust yet.

• People have been asking for an AU version of Xequence for years 'n years now. It's never been completely taken off the table and never been indicated that it will happen any time soon either.

Loopy Pro doesn't have a piano roll.

Xequence does work fairly nicely alongside Xequence 2. If you turn off Ableton Link and send MIDI Clock and song position pointer from Xequence to Loopy, Loopy's timeline follows Xequence's timeline. You have to start and stop the apps from Xequence though.

• @wim said:

Loopy Pro doesn't have a piano roll.

No, of course not. I meant the sequencer.

• I've seen a multitude of "audio track plug-ins" surface in the past few years. Does none of them support MIDI sync?

I have tried a few (loopy pro as AU and multitrack) , None of them are synced from MIDI.

For small FX Audio, I can trigger clips from Xequence as MIDI note (using Koala or Neon or multitrack, etc ...). For long audio this is not practical as you always need to play from the beginning of the triggering to keep it in sync.

What would be a dream :
    - An AU receiving a clip number (from e.i a given midi note), when it start in the song and what is the actual song position, so the AuV3 as all information to play it. Or it could be the clip number and the offset from beginning of the clip.
    - In Xequence you place the clip number # at the position you want in the Xequence timeline.

In this case you keep your arrangement in one software only (Xequence)

okay I am thinking too much ....

• @Sylvain said:

I've seen a multitude of "audio track plug-ins" surface in the past few years. Does none of them support MIDI sync?

I have tried a few (loopy pro as AU and multitrack) , None of them are synced from MIDI.

For small FX Audio, I can trigger clips from Xequence as MIDI note (using Koala or Neon or multitrack, etc ...). For long audio this is not practical as you always need to play from the beginning of the triggering to keep it in sync.

What would be a dream :
    - An AU receiving a clip number (from e.i a given midi note), when it start in the song and what is the actual song position, so the AuV3 as all information to play it. Or it could be the clip number and the offset from beginning of the clip.
    - In Xequence you place the clip number # at the position you want in the Xequence timeline.

What do you ‘sync to midi’, Loopy Pro syncs to midi clock. If you mean MTC, Auria Pro may be the only app I know if that does. does.

• edited August 2022

@Sylvain said:

I've seen a multitude of "audio track plug-ins" surface in the past few years. Does none of them support MIDI sync?

What would be a dream :

Note that there's another trick that works pretty well: If your sample player supports mapping a controller to Sample Start, you can:

1) draw a long note in Xequence, roughly the length of your long sample
    2) configure the Sample Start controller on your Xequence instrument
    3) create a long linear controller ramp from 0 to 127, exactly the length of your note, inside the clip that has the note
    4) make sure that "Chase notes" is enabled in "..." -> MIDI / Recording -> MIDI Output.

Now, if you start playing anywhere inside the long note, Xequence will first send the controller value at that point (giving the sample player the (roughly) correct starting position), and then send the note on (because playback started in the middle of the note -- that's what "Chase notes" does). That should actually start your sample roughly at the correct position, bringing it very close to true audio tracks.

Maybe I should publicize this workaround more...

And for Christ's sake, can we fix the forum so it doesn't constantly obscure what I'm writing with that completely useless "Draft saved at 65:44 pm" popup? (UI/UX: Only show a message when something BAD happens. NOT when something NORMAL happens!)

• @espiegel123 said:

What do you ‘sync to midi’, Loopy Pro syncs to midi clock. If you mean MTC, Auria Pro may be the only app I know if that does. does.

I could sync loopy pro stand alone to midi clock but not the AUv3.

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

@Sylvain said:

@espiegel123 said:

In what host? AUM?
    [edit] nvm. Loopy Pro AU doesn't accept MIDI Clock, only Link or Host Sync. You're correct, it isn't possible with the AUv3 version.

(btw, most hosts don't relay MIDI Clock to AUv3s. AUM is the only one I found that does. And even then, there is no AUv3 app that I know of that can sync to MIDI clock. All can sync to the host, and a very few can sync to Link independently of the host. But none can follow clock, even if they can receive it. )

I tested all this thoroughly when I made the Mozaic script MIDI Clock Tool.

• @Sylvain said:

@espiegel123 said:

If you need yo slave to midi clock run it as a host. In AUM, you could use Ableton link and use a utility like Audiobus 3 to convert midi clock to Ableton link.

• @SevenSystems said:

Note that there's another trick that works pretty well: If your sample player supports mapping a controller to Sample Start, you can:

>

Looks promising. Unfortunately I have quickly tried with koala, neon, multitrack, loopy, Enso and gauss but none of them seems to have a Sample Start cc inputs :(

• edited August 2022

@Sylvain said:

>

Looks promising. Unfortunately I have quickly tried with koala, neon, multitrack, loopy, Enso and gauss but none of them seems to have a Sample Start cc inputs :(

Before settling on Loopy’s AU sequencer for arranging audio, I experimented with a few apps to try and automate Sample Start. I first saw this technique mentioned by dendy as it is one way of faking audio tracks in NS2 so I had wondered if it were possible outside of NS2. I seem to recall SampleWiz 2 working quite well, but it was not too flexible given you would only get one sample per instance (short of some kind of automatic preset switching).

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

@espiegel123 said:
    ... In AUM, you could use Ableton link and use a utility like Audiobus 3 to convert midi clock to Ableton link.

That wouldn't work for song position pointer.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:
    ... In AUM, you could use Ableton link and use a utility like Audiobus 3 to convert midi clock to Ableton link.

That wouldn't work for song position pointer.

True. But, it wasn’t clear that SPP was needed for this use case.

• @MisplacedDevelopment @SevenSystems

The trick works indeed with Sample Wiz 2. I didn't check accuracy and repeatability but I am apple to start the sample following the X2 SPP using the right CC. A pity that Sample Wiz is absolutely not the right tool for this ! I do not see any other AU clip launcher that has this.

Thanks.

• @Sylvain said:
    @MisplacedDevelopment @SevenSystems

The trick works indeed with Sample Wiz 2. I didn't check accuracy and repeatability but I am apple to start the sample following the X2 SPP using the right CC. A pity that Sample Wiz is absolutely not the right tool for this ! I do not see any other AU clip launcher that has this.

Thanks.

Hah, good to hear -- but disappointing of course that there's no more widespread support for controlling sample start. A pretty basic feature for a sampler IMO...

BTW, if Sample Wiz supports mapping Pitch Bend or an NRPN to sample start, then it could work even better because those support 14-bit resolution in Xequence and thus you might get a more accurate sample start position, especially with longer samples.

• @SevenSystems said:

BTW, if Sample Wiz supports mapping Pitch Bend or an NRPN to sample start, then it could work even better because those support 14-bit resolution in Xequence and thus you might get a more accurate sample start position, especially with longer samples.

Just tried, it works with 14 bit Pitch Bend but not with NRPN. A pity that sample wiz cannot recorded clips longer than a few seconds :smile: