Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dream Fragments (TC-Data, Bome Network, Noire, ZebraHZ, Repro-5, Lores)

This is a music track that I improvised on an iPad with TC-Data as the MIDI interface.

I used Bome Network software to bring the MIDI notes into Bitwig Studio on a desktop PC. There the MIDI notes were fed into Native Instruments Noire for the piano. And I used ZebraHZ, Repro-5, and Lores for the other instruments.

After bringing the audio recording into Vegas Pro, I applied the Lurssen Mastering Console plug-in to the audio mix.

It's titled Dream Fragments.

Comments

• Hi David,
    Very atmospheric and relaxing.
    As always, the video is very nice and captivating.
    The piano is so inviting, and peaceful.
    Love this recording.
    Rene

• The maestro of TC-Data! Could you describe your process with regard to this app? How do you set up the control surface? Do you make a separate pass for each instrument, or do you layer them in the editing process?

• Thanks, @ReneAsologuitar. Much appreciated.

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr, I tend to use the TC-Data presets as is, except for maybe changing the key.

It's always a single pass. The layering is done by stacking the synth sounds beforehand. Ideally, the individual synth sounds will seamlessly kick in at different times.

I first set up the sound stack, and then try to figure out how best to play it.

Later, I may decide to alter the relative mix among the stacked synth sounds, or even swap out some of the synth sounds for other synth sounds. I always stick with the original MIDI-note recording, though - I just alter the synth sounds that the original notes are playing.

Hope that makes sense.

• @DavidEnglish said:
    Thanks, @ReneAsologuitar. Much appreciated.

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr, I tend to use the TC-Data presets as is, except for maybe changing the key.

It's always a single pass. The layering is done by stacking the synth sounds beforehand. Ideally, the individual synth sounds will seamlessly kick in at different times.

I first set up the sound stack, and then try to figure out how best to play it.

Later, I may decide to alter the relative mix among the stacked synth sounds, or even swap out some of the synth sounds for other synth sounds. I always stick with the original MIDI-note recording, though - I just alter the synth sounds that the original notes are playing.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, very interesting. Have you played with Touchscaper? It’s kind of in a similar ballpark as a controller, but for me easier to program and understand.

• This is definitely not helping diminish my gas / aas for tc-11. Lovely piece David

• What did you use for the visuals?

• @Gavinski said:
    What did you use for the visuals?

I usually start with a computer graphics visualization that is unrelated to the music. I tend to use Astrofox, Magic, or other PC-based visualizer for that. Then I use Vegas Pro’s Mirror and Swirl video FX plugins to make the graphics more symmetrical and dynamic. Because the video plugins can be adjusted while previewing the music and visuals, I can experiment in real-time to find the FX settings that best match the mood and pace of the music.

• edited September 2022

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Have you played with Touchscaper? It’s kind of in a similar ballpark as a controller, but for me easier to program and understand.

I did buy Touchscaper when it came out, but didn't spend much time with it. I should try it out again.