Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My appoholism is so bad….

….when a new synth comes out it’s a huge relief to hear the demos and realize I don’t like the sounds at all. Because that reduces the chance of me buying it down to about 50%.

Comments

• Lucky you. But if you’re referring to Nambu, probably no demos so far show what it is capable of. Still, always better to properly learn to play what you have than to buy every new toy

• Then, after a few beers on Friday night, I wake up the next morning and the app is installed. It’s like magic.

• Oh I definitely got Nambu as soon as I saw it! 🤣 I just need free time to play with it. No new apps without learning the latest one I bought first! ❤️

• ROFL, I didn’t work for two weeks because I had Covid so I said to myself I would wait to get new apps, cuz I am literally broke…. got Nambu the minute I saw y’all talking about how great it was lol…. And now I heard a new granular synth will be coming out soon, quanta 3 so I am sure I am gonna get it as soon as it comes out to take advantage of the possible intro discount 😂

• You won’t regret Nambu - but to get the most out of it you’re definitely going to want to spend some time and make your own patches. Gold lies in them there hills.

• @timforsyth said:
    Then, after a few beers on Friday night, I wake up the next morning and the app is installed. It’s like magic.

😅😅😅

• So, use shitty headphones.

• I didn’t start this thread to knock Nambu! Iceworks is so cool, and made three of my favorite fx apps. My ear is resistant to most synths. I only like a few, although it seems like I must have bought fifty or so.

• edited August 2022

We are truly blessed on iOS, desktop apps cost so much more, our low entry points make appoholism easy 😂

Now with Nambu, for example, I have at least six FM synths. This was my initial hesitation with buying a Opsix when they went on sale… I asked myself if I truly needed it because FM isn’t better with hardware although the tactile interface is a plus. At the same time, I read the Opsix interface is considered one of the best for FM synthesis, my hesitation lost me the Opsix but saved me $350.

All that being said, for the cost of a restaurant meal you can own most of the best of the best apps iOS has to offer - why not?

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    We are truly blessed on iOS, desktop apps cost so much more, our low entry points make appoholism easy 😂

Now with Nambu, for example, I have at least six FM synths. This was my initial hesitation with buying a Opsix when they went on sale… I asked myself if I truly needed it because FM isn’t better with hardware although the tactile interface is a plus. At the same time, I read the Opsix interface is considered one of the best for FM synthesis, my hesitation lost me the Opsix but saved me $350.

All that being said, for the cost of a restaurant meal you can own most of the best of the best apps iOS has to offer - why not?

Lockdown made me reignite my passion for making music and I dread to think how much it would have cost me if I didn’t have and iPad, to be honest I probably wouldn’t have bothered. Now I’m back into the swing of things, my perspective has changed somewhat. I would gladly pay a bit more or a yearly update fee to support all the amazing developers that make us smile, but that being said, the price barrier to entry is so low, it’s never been a better time to start making music.

• Yeah compared to desktop the entry prices are super low; still however, for some any price is high when things cost so much more, you think more than twice about hobby spending. Either way, indeed we are blessed.

• I did not go to the pub today = Nambu.

• edited August 2022

The important thing with any new synth, especially one from a popular developer, is to try and ignore the initial zombie run here on ABF.

I learned this the hard way 🙂, even though it's quite predictable. First are the "Instabuy!" robots. Then @Samu explains, a few times just to be sure, where the new thing falls short of his theoretical ubersynth concept. Then come the breathless comments with superlatives that are clearly unearned at this point, followed by the skeptic's counterpoint expertly delivered by @oat_phipps .

On to the demos. Doug clocks in at a solid hour, @Gavinski is more like 15 minutes max these days (decidedly laconic compared to his earlier output), @eylvy 4. Then it's put in drambo by @echoopera and in that strange one-of-a-kind genre that only @Svetlovska can do.

Throughout all this, I'm watching with a smug smile on my face, because I already know what's coming: in a few weeks, sometimes just days, the crowd moves on to the next Synth of the Year, and the thread on the previous one goes full crickets. Which is when I pat myself on the back, celebrating another well-executed escape from microconsumerism.

Until about five months in @Spidericemidas casually drops a set of genius presets and I buy the damn thing within two minutes.

• @ervin said:
    The important thing with any new synth, especially one from a popular developer, is to try and ignore the initial zombie run here on ABF.

I learned this the hard way 🙂, even though it's quite predictable. First are the "Instabuy!" robots. Then @Samu explains, a few times just to be sure, where the new thing falls short of his theoretical ubersynth concept. Then come the breathless comments with superlatives that are clearly unearned at this point, followed by the skeptic's counterpoint delivered expertly by @oat_phipps .

On to the demos. Doug clocks in at a solid hour, @Gavinski is more like 15 minutes max these days (decidedly laconic compared to his earlier output), @eylvy 4. Then it's put in drambo by @echoopera and in that strange one-of-a-kind genre that only @Svetlovska can do.

Throughout all this, I'm watching with a smug smile on my face, because I already know what's coming: in a few weeks, sometimes just days, the crowd moves on to the next Synth of the Year, and the thread on the previous one goes full crickets. Which is when I pat myself on the back, celebrating another well-executed escape from microconsumerism.

Until about five months in @Spidericemidas casually drops a set of genius presets and I buy the damn thing within two minutes.

That’s pretty much the hero’s journey abf style 😂

• @ervin said:

I learned this the hard way 🙂, even though it's quite predictable. First are the "Instabuy!" robots. Then @Samu explains, a few times just to be sure, where the new thing falls short of his theoretical ubersynth concept. Then come the breathless comments with superlatives that are clearly unearned at this point, followed by the skeptic's counterpoint delivered expertly by @oat_phipps .

Hahaha ! To good… 👍

• @Paulo164 said:

@ervin said:

Hahaha ! To good… 👍

I enjoyed that too :sunglasses:

Even though I've gotten a bunch of apps lately it's nearly not as bad as a few years back.

Neon, Nambu, Traverse, TB MBC, PolyBeat (completed the bundle to support the dev), Scaler 2, Pure Synth, ProCrate, and Crystalline are the latest paid apps I've gotten.

Bleass Omega was the fist app I bought this year...

...so this year has been comparably cheap apart from the Audient ID4mk2 and 11" M1 iPadPro with 'accessories'.

I do try to stay fairly object and focused but can definitely 'flip out' (like in the Neon thread) from time to time.

Drambo has really played a big role on my way out of app-o-holism...

Cheers!

• @ervin said:

I learned this the hard way 🙂, even though it's quite predictable. First are the "Instabuy!" robots. Then @Samu explains, a few times just to be sure, where the new thing falls short of his theoretical ubersynth concept. Then come the breathless comments with superlatives that are clearly unearned at this point, followed by the skeptic's counterpoint expertly delivered by @oat_phipps .

😂

• @ervin said:

LOL.
    That's a pretty funny but accurate observation of the way things move on so fast here.

I have to say though, my app addiction and buying has dropped considerably this year. I haven't been moved or tempted to rush into anything new this year, focusing instead on trying to make some actual music with the plethora of marvellous apps I already have, in between trying to catch up with making some soundbanks for the synths still on my list.

It is very VERY rare for me to gush and go crazy over anything here, using terms like "Game changer", "Instabuy", "App of the year" etc etc. But I really think Satoshi has just given us a masterpiece in Nambu that deserves as much plugging and promoting and excitement as possible. And I really hope people will realise what an incredible thing it is and spend the proper time digging into it and not be distracted by the next thing that comes along. There's enough in it to keep you discovering new things for years! Seriously! This thing should surely cure any further buying addictions. It will keep you busy and entertained for a very long time if you dedicate yourself to it and learn to make the most of what it's offering. I've chosen to pass on quite a few things this year, thinking "meh, I don't really need that", but what Nambu is offering has genuinely shocked and stunned me, and I wouldn't hesitate to label it instabuy or nominate it for synth app of the year. Nambu has put an instant stop to all my other iOS projects and ideas. I need to learn this thing inside out! The UI makes you want to dive in and explore. I can't put it down! 😆😁

• @ervin said:

Good analysis 😂

My walkthrough on this will be around an hour long walkthrough though 😝

• edited August 2022

@Spidericemidas said:

@ervin said:

LOL.
    That's a pretty funny but accurate observation of the way things move on so fast here.

I have to say though, my app addiction and buying has dropped considerably this year. I haven't been moved or tempted to rush into anything new this year, focusing instead on trying to make some actual music with the plethora of marvellous apps I already have, in between trying to catch up with making some soundbanks for the synths still on my list.

It is very VERY rare for me to gush and go crazy over anything here, using terms like "Game changer", "Instabuy", "App of the year" etc etc. But I really think Satoshi has just given us a masterpiece in Nambu that deserves as much plugging and promoting and excitement as possible. And I really hope people will realise what an incredible thing it is and spend the proper time digging into it and not be distracted by the next thing that comes along. There's enough in it to keep you discovering new things for years! Seriously! This thing should surely cure any further buying addictions. It will keep you busy and entertained for a very long time if you dedicate yourself to it and learn to make the most of what it's offering. I've chosen to pass on quite a few things this year, thinking "meh, I don't really need that", but what Nambu is offering has genuinely shocked and stunned me, and I wouldn't hesitate to label it instabuy or nominate it for synth app of the year. Nambu has put an instant stop to all my other iOS projects and ideas. I need to learn this thing inside out! The UI makes you want to dive in and explore. I can't put it down! 😆😁

Yeah, I don’t instantly pull the trigger on everything anymore either. I used to feel a need to buy everything new from every credible developer especially at initial price for fear of missing out but now I only buy what I know I will use.

• @Gavinski said:

Looking forward to the Nambu video!

I'm using the LFOs as additional step-sequencers (using a max-width square wave) and they work surprising well for that too.

Thankfully Satoshi has already added all my suggestions to the to-do list so I really do look forward to the coming updates!
    (It's rare to find a developer who 'gets it' without having to do tons of additional explaining).

Cheers!

• edited August 2022

@Spidericemidas said:

@ervin said:

LOL.

Nambu is the biz for sure! UI is one to be marveled. We should be good until…

Moog or Klevgrand releases something 😂

• @Samu said:

@Gavinski said:

Looking forward to the Nambu video!

I'm using the LFOs as additional step-sequencers (using a max-width square wave) and they work surprising well for that too.

Thankfully Satoshi has already added all my suggestions to the to-do list so I really do look forward to the coming updates!
    (It's rare to find a developer who 'gets it' without having to do tons of additional explaining).

Cheers!

Nice! I'm really glad he's listening.

• @ervin : very droll! :)

• @ervin said:

Stay out of my head!

Honestly, that is some fine and fucking hilarious writing. Nicely done.

• @ervin Haha. It’s a multi staged process to get you to succumb 🤪 Resistance is futile 😉

• @ervin said:

This.👍

/DMfan🇸🇪

• edited August 2022

@ervin said:

Hahaha, I’m honored! (The latest synth, Nambu, did just get my ultra-rare, caveat-free stamp of approval though. Maybe I’ve lost my edge…)

But , seriously, you learn fast to ignore the initial two-day hype fest (day one-app is about to drop excitement/day two-people posting initial rave impressions after 10 minutes with it, at which point they don’t tell you but they’re secretly done with it, whether they yet realize it or not). By that time, the thread will already be buried on page 3 and fall for eternity UNLESS the developer adds free features to the app in an update. It’s amazing how quickly any sort of actual ongoing discussion just gets dropped.

• @oat_phipps said:

@ervin said:

Hahaha, I’m honored! (The latest synth, Nambu, did just get my ultra-rare, caveat-free stamp of approval though. Maybe I’ve lost my edge…)

But , seriously, you learn fast to ignore the initial two-day hype fest (day one-app is about to drop excitement/day two-people posting initial rave impressions after 10 minutes with it, at which point they don’t tell you but they’re secretly done with it, whether they yet realize it or not). By that time, the thread will already be buried on page 3 and fall for eternity UNLESS the developer adds free features to the app in an update. It’s amazing how quickly any sort of actual ongoing discussion just gets dropped.

Profound: “…they’re secretly done with it”

• edited August 2022

I’d wager to say at least 75% of this forum, if not more has GAS or Appoholism or whatever…

I think part of any musician, creative type, or artist no matter what they use as their medium, is always looking for creative and new ways to do something or make something new. Find new sounds, new methods, new ways, new whatever, to explore creativity and possibility. Sure there’s definitely times where you should work with what you have or within your limitations, but there’s also that exploration side, that’s wants to be creative, try new things, and think outside the box to see what happens.