Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Scaligeri Boogie - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

So this is my tribute to the great Hammond organists that continue to inspire me. This was probably the most difficult tune I've done lately.

I've never claimed to be a jazz player, and I've always managed to just get by at the jazz gigs I've played. I've been working on this tune for a couple of months, practicing, coming up with ideas, listening to tunes for inspiration, figuring out how I could cheat just enough to not have this sound so stiff and programmed.

I'm pretty happy with how this came out. It's far from perfect, and I'm certainly nowhere near the league of the players I'm paying tribute to, but I hope that my labor of love does this music some small amount of justice.

And I hope to hell that it swings, man.

Comments

• What a cool tribute to the organ elite. Billy Preston and Booker T are the rare breed that managed to cross over to Top 49 Radio.

I got my hands on a Hammond 2-3 times over the years that were set with a Leslie Speaker and it’s the musical equivalent on getting behind the wheel of a car on a NasCar Track. My kids music teacher had one in his home according to his stories. He was one of Rhodes guys that took in students fir any instrument. My daughter started on piano and asked for flute, guitar, alto sax, and laptop software over the course of 3 years. My other daughter went with a female teacher that was good for her and helped avoid the constant comparisons to her sister that made public school harder for her. We pulled her out of public school to give her her own lane. In a church school she was the top dawg and teacher’s pet and not a runner up. Later she switched to zag Sci and carved out her own identity.

Sibling rivalries can be rough.
    My wife was really good at insuring her daughters had the best chance of success in life.

• One of my best friends and I always liken playing a real Hammond to driving a car. You can feel it humming and vibrating underneath you, each arm and leg is doing something different - it definitely is it's own beast and is a wildly different experience to playing a piano or piano-like instrument.

Glad you liked it - this one was tough.

• @Daveypoo said:
    One of my best friends and I always liken playing a real Hammond to driving a car. You can feel it humming and vibrating underneath you, each arm and leg is doing something different - it definitely is it's own beast and is a wildly different experience to playing a piano or piano-like instrument.

Glad you liked it - this one was tough.

It shows in the results: a labor of love and reverence.

• I like this a lot!
    I listened to it several times last night and that opening melody line really stuck in my head.
    I played it again just now and... yeah... there it is, just like I remembered it.
    Straightforward, memorable, and catchy as hell.
    You are a jazz player!
    Yeah man, this swings!

• Thanks, @Paulieworld - I really appreciate the comments. I strive for the simple since my tendency is to over-complicate things. The head came to me and it just stuck - so rather than add a whole lot of instrumentation, or go for something overly long, I just kept it short and to the point. It helped keep the solo from being too repetitive, since I only have so many tricks up my sleeve.

You made my afternoon - thanks again for the kind words. It's nice to know that there are folks out there who are listening.

• edited August 2022

This took me back.
    When I was little ( between 5 and maybe 8) my father played stand up bass for our church. There was an organ player, Woody, who was a kind older man. Despite being legally blind he always immediately knew who I was when I approached him after service. I haven’t thought of him in years but something about your playing brought those memories rushing back. I doubt he ever played anything quite as soulful, although those old gospels were quite moving.
    Well played. And as the old song used to say,” Thanks for the memories”.

• Hi Daveypoo,
    Wow, what a tribute song, a list of greats!!!
    Definitely not stiff, and not programmed sounding to me.
    And the melody is so nostalgic, and so cool.
    Love the sound you came up with, and I love this recording.
    Thanks for this gem!!!
    Rene

• edited August 2022

I'm flattered that something of mine could elicit such fond remembrances, @MadeofWax Organ, in it's many forms, is such a unique beast. I'm not sure why I'm so drawn to the Hammond sound but it's magnetic to me. Glad you liked this one, thanks for the comment and the story.

@ReneAsologuitar I appreciate your kind words. What I lack in melodic and harmonic content I try to make up for with feel. That was this tune - simplicity and swing. I'm glad you liked it and thanks for listening.

🙏

• Great tune @Daveypoo - more Hammond, please.

• @pbelgium said:
    Great tune @Daveypoo - more Hammond, please.

I'm working on it - I promise. Thanks for the encouragement!

• To borrow a catchphrase from @jakoB_haQ: please finger your organ as soon as possible… and repeat for your and our pleasure. I dig a big organ sound.

• @McD It's always a challenge to avoid a thin, wimpy B3 sound with any emulator. I'm getting better at it, but it's always tough. The focus of this particular collection of tunes is Hammond, and the next tune has that plus a special guest or two - stay tuned.

• Very enjoyable to listen to. Very cool sounding and reminds me of seeing old footage of young hipster kids twisting on the dance floor or beach. This is the kind of stuff that led me into jazz (as a listener) before I knew what jazz was. Keep ‘en coming!

• The B3 Binge Continues... Did I blink and miss Jack McDuff in there?

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    The B3 Binge Continues... Did I blink and miss Jack McDuff in there?

Oh, he's in there!

• edited August 2022

@Blipsford_Baubie said:
    Very enjoyable to listen to. Very cool sounding and reminds me of seeing old footage of young hipster kids twisting on the dance floor or beach. This is the kind of stuff that led me into jazz (as a listener) before I knew what jazz was. Keep ‘en coming!

Thanks for the support - I've got a bunch of good grooves in the pipe, I just need the time to get them all fully realized. Stay tuned for more adventures coming soon...

• @Daveypoo said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    The B3 Binge Continues... Did I blink and miss Jack McDuff in there?

Oh, he's in there!

OK, yes I see him now! I guess I did blink!

I'll just leave this little thing here:

• Ah, the green, green grass of home…

• oh man! Hou did i miss this?
    This is a great track. I understand why you took long to finish it.
    I have an album from Rueben Wilson that i sometimes put on the turntable om hot summer nights and let all the stress flow away.

I miss one on the list :)

• Being a Swede I miss this gem just organs and some drums :sunglasses:

(Hansson & Karlsson from very, very long time ago).

• If we’re just going to chat about organs I’ll see your Swedish organist and raise you an Englishman:

• I’m praising the benefits of sad music today so…

• I'll see your drums and organ and raise you Lee Michaels

• It swung for me… great track!
    Almost 100% male dominated so I’ll throw this one in to try and balance things out…

• Thanks, @GeoTony - appreciate it!

Damn - her feet are cookin'!