Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help: Looking for 4In/4Out Audio Interface

edited August 2022 in Other

Anyone have any opinions on the best 4In/4Out audio interfaces for the iPad? I want to be able to route different audio streams to different devices in AUM.

Set up would be with a Mixer with 2 AUX sends. I’d like to route those 2 AUX sends to different Channels on the iPad.

Process those incoming channels via Channels 1&2 or 3&4 with different effects and send it back into the mixer via its 2 Stereo Outs.

I want to use AUM as my effects rack for the Mackie I’m getting.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Going old School with the mixer:

Comments

• Check the Mackie Onyx line. They do class compliant multi i/o.

• @echoopera that Mackie is great. I used to have one.

I used it with an iConnectAudio 4+, and it worked fine. I liked that I could use it with both Mac and iPad.

• edited August 2022

@samu I already have the mixer. So I’m looking for a 4/4 interface.

• What’s your budget, how small you wanna go, and do you want to expand on it later?

• @echoopera said:
    @samu I already have the mixer. So I’m looking for a 4/4 interface.

Ok, Then I'd take a close look at the Steinberg UR44c.
    https://www.steinberg.net/audio-interfaces/ur44c/

• I recently picked up a Volt 476 and I’m quite happy with it. Only complaint is that none of my gear can quite drive the line inputs. However, if I’m understanding @echoopera ’s setup correctly, the Volt will handle this with ease — the mixer’s aux sends should be able to drive the line inputs no problem.

FWIW I’m using an iPad Air 3 (Lightning port) with a powered CCK connected to an unpowered USB hub with a Launchpad Pro mk3 (drawing USB power) and the Volt 476 (drawing mains power). I have to turn the Volt on before plugging in the CCK because the Launchpad draws too much power at startup, but otherwise the setup works flawlessly.

• @Samu said:
    Ok, Then I'd take a close look at the Steinberg UR44c.
    https://www.steinberg.net/audio-interfaces/ur44c/

+1 for the UR44. It’s rock solid and does the job.

• Ooh. Some nice suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Anyone familiar with the Motu m4. I really wanted the Evo8 but it sounds like you can only mirror the 3&4 out to 1&2 on the iPad.

• edited August 2022

@echoopera said:
    Ooh. Some nice suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Anyone familiar with the Motu m4. I really wanted the Evo8 but it sounds like you can only mirror the 3&4 out to 1&2 on the iPad.

I have it and love it, it would work for your use case if I understood it correctly.

Edit: I have to say though that I don't like this about it: the paint has been coming off near the monitor knob

• Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 Mk2: https://www.amazon.com/Native-Instruments-Komplete-Audio-Mk2/dp/B07RQ9VH34?th=1
    the original version of this unit has worked quite well for me.

• @bangzero That thing looks like what I've been looking for and failing to find. Am I right in thinking (warning: absolute hardware idiot here) that I can plug the iPad into that via a USB or Thunderbolt hub and a) get midi over USB, and b) get audio flowing back from that into the iPad, and c) both of those things can be happening at the same time?

• @echoopera one question after re-reading your post: why do you need 4 inputs? It looks like your mixer sends are both mono, so a 2-in/4-out interface should be enough

• @Grandbear said:
    @echoopera one question after re-reading your post: why do you need 4 inputs? It looks like your mixer sends are both mono, so a 2-in/4-out interface should be enough

Maybe he wants to record the performance too?

• The Zoom U44 is a nice interface.

• edited August 2022

@Samu said:

@Grandbear said:
    @echoopera one question after re-reading your post: why do you need 4 inputs? It looks like your mixer sends are both mono, so a 2-in/4-out interface should be enough

Yes...4 is always better than 2 :) But yes, this is the plan. I can use the Alt 3/4, or Headphones out on the Mackie to feed 2 Channels on the audio interface to record the performance/samples/loops on the iPad.

• edited August 2022

@FastGhost: that should work, but i can't test that setup exactly. i use it primarily for di guitar and monitor outs. i do simultaneously use the midi input for a keyboard. i like that my original unit handles stereo piezo pickups well, and the preamp stays quiet at max gain. ps- i connect the ka6 to a powered midi hub, which goes to the usb c on an ipad. it likely won't work well connected directly to an ipad.

• @echoopera said:

@Samu said:

@Grandbear said:

Yes...4 is always better than 2 :) But yes, this is the plan. I can use the Alt 3/4, or Headphones out on the Mackie to feed 2 Channels on the audio interface to record the performance/samples/loops on the iPad.

;) got it, I got hung up on that one specific use case, makes total sense

• folks, sorry for the amazon link with misleading price from unknown sellers. street price of Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 Mk2 is $249. NI web page here: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/audio-interfaces/komplete-audio-6/

• @echoopera
    I'm not familiar with m4. I'm not a Motu user.
    The following information is what to watch out for in mail order.

Motu m4 seems to have three versions.
    It is on page 30 of the 'Motu M4 Audio Interface Review' thread in the 'Audio Science Review' forum.
    (I don't know if it is against the rules to write another forum address directly on this forum, so I won't.)

The v1 and v2 of the m4 can be distinguished by their appearance because of the different number of screws around the combo jack.
    I have never seen v3.
    I don't know about the compatibility of each ver/rev/gen of m4 with iPad.

• @Grandbear Do you ever use the 3/4 out on your M4 to send elsewhere? Curious if it actual offers a separate Send or if it’s just Mirrored like on the EVO 8.

• @echoopera judging from your setups and use of hardware, I think you’re gonna outgrow an m4 really quickly.

• I’ve got a mackie going into my, well, Svetlovska’s old ICA4+, and once you’ve set it up how you want it, it’s bloody great…

• edited August 2022

@echoopera said:
    @Grandbear Do you ever use the 3/4 out on your M4 to send elsewhere? Curious if it actual offers a separate Send or if it’s just Mirrored like on the EVO 8.

Yes, they're not mirrored, in the screenshot I shared above you can see the 3/4 outputs silent while 1/2 are not. That said, I'm not sure that the EVO 8 only mirrors 1/2 to 3/4.

• @bangzero Thank you, much appreciated.

• It arrived...right now I'm just using the SP 404mk2 to pass audio from the iPad to the Mackie...going to experiment with using the Headphones (3/4) on the SP to send effects to the board*:

Now where is that 1/8 to Stereo 1/4 cable again?

*Nope...3/4 is just mirrored of 1/2 for now...need to figure out how to do CUE send from the SP...it might work.

• edited August 2022

Deleted

• @mistercharlie said:
    @echoopera that Mackie is great. I used to have one.

I used it with an iConnectAudio 4+, and it worked fine. I liked that I could use it with both Mac and iPad.

Ahhh...this is a good one to think about. Is it this model?
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AUDIO4c--iconnectivity-audio4c-dual-usb-c-audio-and-midi-interface

Also, you may notice that I revived the Mackie thread on Elektronauts :smile: Lots of good info there.

• edited August 2022

The one I’d suggest is the motu ultralite avb.
    If you looking for something small and no frills, the esi maya44 usb is a basic 4x4 (if you don’t mind using unbalanced/rca)
    It’ll give you up to 8x8 with option to expand. I’m also runing 24ch usb from the iPad, and 32 from the mac overs it’s ethernet (I have an 828, the ultralite does 24 over ethernet)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    The one I’d suggest is the motu ultralite avb.
    If you looking for something small and no frills, the esi maya44 usb is a basic 4x4 (if you don’t mind using unbalanced/rca)
    It’ll give you up to 8x8 with option to expand. I’m also runing 24ch usb from the iPad, and 32 from the mac overs it’s ethernet (I have an 828, the ultralite does 24 over ethernet)

Cool. Unfortunately the Ultralite AVB like the Ultralite Mk5 is unavailable worldwide :( I wanted the MK5.