Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The AudioBus Horror Movie Massive: Final Vote & Sign Up

edited August 2022 in Creations

Ok folks, here we go:

Please vote on which film you think we all should work on below.

Deadline: Noon tomorrow, Tuesday 2nd August

Also, indicate if you wish to be a contributor. You are signing up to take a random slice of whatever film is selected, and produce:

1) soundtrack for that selected slice
2) Optionally: any amount up to a max of two additional minutes of ‘B roll’ audio - sound FX, foley, mood, atmosphere, whatever you like.

The wishes of those who wish to submit pieces shorter than their allocation will be respected.

Technical details regarding the submission format to follow

What movie should we make a soundtrack for?
  1. Should it be…17 votes
    1. The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari
      17.65%
    2. Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde
        0.00%
    3. Faust
        0.00%
    4. Genuine
        5.88%
    5. The Golem
        5.88%
    6. The Hands Of Orlac
        0.00%
    7. Haxan
        5.88%
    8. The Phantom Carriage
        0.00%
    9. Svengali
        0.00%
    10. Warning Shadows
        0.00%
    11. White Zombie
        5.88%
    12. Wolf Blood
        0.00%
    13. Vampyr
      58.82%

Comments

• Of course I am up for it.

• Yeah this is too good to miss, please count me in.

• OK, it's just too tempting, sign me up. I like a challenge that takes me out of what I usually do.

• I've been following this with interest. Excited to see and hear the result but won't take part... :)

• Yes, I’m up for it. Watched Vampyr last night, it’s excellent. FWIW, I’d be happier not using the crisp version that may have copyright issues. I think it’d be safer to use the unrestored version, and embrace the quality as part of the ambience.

• Up for 1 (happy to do several slices if needed) and possibly 2 as well

• Hey hey people!
    Up for a slice of horroscape too :wink:

• Yes, please!

• Please count me in. I am up for doing a bit of dark ambient soundtrack in which ever film is chosen.

• I'm in - and I'm feeling plenty gloomy. I'll go with whatever film is picked; I agree with suggestions that it should be an un-restored type of film, heavy on visuals over people talking a lot. Vimeo is also a good movie hosting site if youtube is problematical.

• edited August 2022

And the winner is… Vampyr!

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4q8cJzGdR9J8w3hS/giphy.gif

Okay: there will now be a short intermission while the dog sorts out what to do with the car she was chasing, now that she has caught it…

We have 15 contributors/volunteers/victims:

1: @sevenape
    2: @Kewe_Esse
    3: @FastGhost
    4: @bygjohn
    5: @Gavinski
    6: @senhorlampada
    7: @rottencat
    8: @jwmmakerofmusic
    9: @AlterEgo_UK
    10:@Stochastically
    11:@Svetlovska
    12:@Krupa
    13:@Synthi
    14:@LinearLineman
    15: @iOSTRAKON

That works out, given a run time of 76 minutes, conveniently, to 15 slices of almost exactly 5 minutes a piece. (There will be latitude given in the submissions to allow for the shortfall)

So, using my dice roller app, - https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/custom-dice-roller/id1369352125 - which can create a ‘dice’ with any number of sides, I’ll create a 15 sided dice, and roll it, starting with sevenape, and re-rolling any duplicates until all slots are filled.

Results (excluding re-rolls): 6,15,13,5,14,8,4,10,7,1,2,11,3,12,9

A: 0-5
    B: 5-10
    C: 10-15
    D : 15-20
    E: 20-25
    F: 25-30
    G: 30-35
    H: 35-40
    I: 40-45
    J: 45-50
    K:50-55
    L:55-60
    M: 60-65
    N: 65-70
    O:70-75

And the results are:

@sevenape : 25-30
    @Kewe_Esse :70-75
    @FastGhost : 60-65
    @bygjohn : 20-25
    @Gavinski : 65-70
    @senhorlampada : 35-40
    @rottencat : 15-20
    @jwmmakerofmusic : 45-50
    @AlterEgo_UK : 30-35
    @Stochastically : 0-5
    @Svetlovska : 5-10
    @Krupa : 50-55
    @Synthi : 10-15
    @LinearLineman : 55-60
    @iOSTRAKON : 40-45

More details on submissions and guidelines for creation to follow. (In other words, we’re all making this up as we go along… stay tuned! ) :)

• Thanks for doing that! Very excited about this project. Actually might be nice to get some big youtubers on side too to give it a bit more traction. @jakoB_haQ @thesoundtestroom

• Maybe we should have a product first?

• Both those guys like their ambient vibes....

• Thank you @Svetlovska, this is really exciting.

• I’m just exporting a timecoded version for everyone to work from, I’ll need to figure out a neat way to share it via iCloud with all participants - I think this means I’ll need a list of email addresses, but if anyone knows different, do let me know 😁

• Dear Lord.... You've given me a difficult section Svetlovska, which will require a change in mood from ghoulish to ecstatic 😂

In reality the division into 5 minute slots is never going to be conducive to a good musical outcome. This will need tweaking for sure.

• 40-45 // my age range 😁

• Oooooh thanks very much!!!

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    40-45 // my age range 😁

I'm thanking the good lord that my segment is not my age range, though some days it feels like it is 😅

• Hahah, just watched my possible time slot (vid on YT). Already thinking of ideas that won’t end up happening because Kaøs

@Gavinski said:

@iOSTRAKON said:
    40-45 // my age range 😁

I'm thanking the good lord that my segment is not my age range, though some days it feels like it is 😅

• :lol:
    Wow... after you guys commenting I ended up noticing mine is also my age range (towards the end. I hit 40 this year) :tongue:

• 15-20 is my emotional age range.

• edited August 2022

@FastGhost : thanks, but this was @sevenape ’s idea. I’m just the mouthy one along for the ride :)

@Gavinski : what I suggested is that everybody can extend the start times back and the forward times forward or back to the nearest sensible cut - anything up to a minute either way to make it work. If everyone ‘colours outside the lines’ a bit, there should be enough slippage to ease the transitions.

I do like the idea of maybe following in order from the last piece as well, so each could pass the baton on to the next, and if there is somewhere we can post the works in progress, that will help, as everyone can listen to each other’s works, but I don’t want to get over prescriptive: people will all get their chance to make their part, and to try to make their part work in the greater scheme.

I think everyone has to expect their piece may be edited, pitch or tempo stretched and otherwise messed with to fit. That’s why I am suggesting providing ‘B Roll’ of less structured but related stuff to your main piece, which can be used as aural filler if required… Nothing stopping people from recording a longer cut, and submitting this alongside the ‘official ‘ cut too - it’ll be an aesthetic decision for the ‘producer’ to make how to use any alternate takes supplied.

The arbitrary nature of the allocation is part of the challenge really. To go from ghoulish to ecstatic on a sixpence sounds like a gift to me! ;) And don’t forget that back in the day this task often fell to just one person on a piano or theatre organ improvising… :)

• It is an interesting challenge, my comment was tongue in cheek in that regard, but I'm sure you know that already 😉

• I wonder if one of our more melodic members could come up with a motif for others to build on / stretch / destroy /etc. in order to create the continuity that some are worried about.

• edited August 2022

Maybe @LinearLineman ? On the strength of his Mr Hyde piece, I can certainly imagine a ‘main theme’ / title sequence played on piano, which could then be provided as both audio & MIDI file for others to mess with…

• edited August 2022

@rottencat : :) Tres droll…

• I’m going to add a note of dissent here. I don’t mean to be discordant.

In thinking about this project, one of the things I liked about it was the opportunity to hear what each contributor came up with. I didn’t really view it as an alternate soundtrack, but more as an anthology of horror music. I would prefer that it be a series of original music and not the reaction of one composer to the previous one.

I also think it would be a lot easier to manage that way.

Honest, I’m doing my best not to be a troll.

And whatever the decision is, I’m in,