Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

usb hub - focusrite - keylab

Hello Gentleman,
I bought an usb hub ([this one])(https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B095LKP3JF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 "this"))
my plan was simple: keylab61 into usbhub, focusrite 18i8 2 gen into usb hub, usb hub into original cck ipad.
unfortunatley this set up does not work, because the ipad does not see the audio interface nor the keylab (hardware unavaiable message in aum). The keylab is powered, I can totally use the keylab just by pluggin it directly in the cck, and that works fine. But I want to be able tu use the other focusrite channels for other microphones + aum.... I'm I missing something? thank you!

Comments

• Looks like it ought to work.

Are you connecting the hub to the CCK by its host cable (comes out the end of the hub)?

Have you connected the hub power supply?

Have you connected the Keylab and Focusrite to data ports on the hub, with the power switches (buttons) turned on?

• @uncledave said:
    Looks like it ought to work.

Are you connecting the hub to the CCK by its host cable (comes out the end of the hub)?
    yes
    ys
    Have you connected the Keylab and Focusrite to data ports on the hub, with the power switches (buttons) turned on?

and yes, that's why I really don't get it, the keylab is on (has power) but the audio interface does not show up on the ipad.

I tried to connect it to my pc, and it does not show there either...I'm really lost! maybe ther's something in the focusrite set up that I'm unaware of, or maybe the usb hub does not work and I need to buy another one...

• On your pc you need drivers and software.
    I have version 1 18i20 and it worked.
    Could be that you have to switch something on in the software.

• edited August 2022

@ciga said:

@uncledave said:
    Looks like it ought to work.

yes
    ys

and yes, that's why I really don't get it, the keylab is on (has power) but the audio interface does not show up on the ipad.

I tried to connect it to my pc, and it does not show there either...I'm really lost! maybe ther's something in the focusrite set up that I'm unaware of, or maybe the usb hub does not work and I need to buy another one...

It is possible that the Focusrite is not "class compliant"; if so, it will not work with iOS.

You need to try different combinations to see if anything works:

• Focusrite direct to CCK. May need Lightning power to CCK as well.
    • Keylab only through hub.
    • Focusrite only through hub.

Do any of these combinations work? Can you try anything else through the hub: memory stick, USB mouse, etc.? They would establish whether the hub works at all.

Edit: Try connecting power to the CCK Lightning port (assuming it's the current USB 3 Camera Adapter with a Lightning power port alongside the USB port).

• edited August 2022

I also have a Keylab 61 Mkii and the CCK from Apple with a cheap usb hub and it all works fine. Running into a 3rd gen focusrite 2i2.

CCk connected to iPad Pro and I always have it powered. Cheap usb hub connected to CCK and then my interface is plugged into the hub along with my key lab. Also sometimes use the mpd228.

• Hi. @ciga
    I have read your comment history. My English writing is poor, but maybe the web or app version of DeepL will make it a little easier to read. If it is written in a strange way, it is probably because my writing is wrong.

Below is all the information I found.

Basic Information
    When using the Scalett series on iOS, it seems that Scalett users need to connect to the FocusriteControl software with a PC to deactivate WDM mode when using Scalett for the first time.
    Maybe iPadOS users need to connect to the PC at least once.
    (It seems that using the Scarlett 3rdGen with an iPad also requires a similar connection to a PC.)

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005430409-Can-I-use-my-bus-powered-Scarlett-with-an-iPad-Lightning-port-
    The above page is for hardware that is only bus-powered.
    For the Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen, you may need to use a dedicated non-USB power supply for the Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen itself. (I’m not sure.)

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360021869499-Updating-the-Firmware-of-Focusrite-Interface-using-Focusrite-Control

(This part was written before I read baconink's post above.)
    I’m optimistic about your problem because I just watched this video a short while ago.
    I have not watched this video in its entirety.
    It may not be helpful to you. It may just give you some relief.

Connecting Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen to ipad

(It shows a cat at 1:01.)

Below is a troubleshooting or FAQ from NI page. I think the information is somewhat generic and universal.

-The order in which the power is turned on is incorrect. (or the order in which the cables are connected is incorrect.) It gets a little more complicated when CCK is involved.
    -There is a problem with the dedicated DC power supply for the focus light itself. (or not using DC power/AC adapter?)
    https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210280705-How-to-Connect-your-NI-Controller-Audio-Interface-to-an-iOS-Device

-The USB hub itself is not powered on. Power is in short supply.
    https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005440465-Notes-on-the-Use-of-USB-Hubs-with-Native-Instruments-Hardware-Products

-There is a problem with the USB cable itself. (or the cord is unusually long, etc.)
    https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210293725-Choosing-the-Correct-USB-Cable-for-Your-NI-Hardware-Device

Below are some supplements.
    Caution: I cannot be responsible for the accuracy or reliability of these information.

-It is said that if the USB port is 2.0 instead of 3.0, it may be successfully recognized in certain situations.
    But that is for Windows PC, etc. I don't know if it has anything to do with USB hubs or iOS or iPad OS.
    -USB 3.0 ports are recognized as 2.0 by the host when the cable is inserted slowly.
    But that is a Windows or game console story. (I don't know if it is the same for Mac.) I don't know if that has anything to do with iOS/iPadOS.
    -Maybe it fail if your iPadOS version is too old. But I don't want to recommend OS updates to others because of the risk of trouble. Backups and other preparations are necessary.
    (I don't think it needs to be the latest version, but I'm not sure. If I read or hear the names and screen sizes of others' iPad, I would be confused because I don’t know if that model is newer or older.)

Just in case, this information probably has nothing to do with your problem.
    In the manuals for older versions of M-Audio's MIDI controller products, there is a warning not to connect the MIDI controller and an audio interface to the same USB hub. But it does not say why they should not be connected together.

May the Force be with you…

• Update! following @uncledave simple suggestion (but sometimes simple is not immediate) I tried to connect mouse + usb hub + pc and it wasn't working, so I guessed about the usb not functioning, I bought a new usb hub (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07YCZTT92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and all the connection are now working properly. So the issue was simply the friggin usb hub!
    thanks everyone for the helps and tips, awesome comunity here as always!!!

• edited August 2022

It seems to me that the red ports on you first hub do not give a usb connection to the host. They are only charging ports.
    Edit: nevermind