Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wired MIDI in & out at the same time?

This should be a simple question?* I want to use all my usual MIDI input devices on the iPad (KeyStep Pro, Behringer BCR2000, etc.), which are connected through a CCK3 and USB hub. But at the same time I also want to be able to send MIDI to the PC. I think I want a wired solution, not WiFi.

Is this just a matter of buying a cheap USB MIDI interface and plugging it into the USB hub at one end and the PC at the other end? Can anyone suggest an actual interface that works well?

Thanks.

(*Prepared to be wrong, as usual :/ )

Comments

• Does the PC have wired (5-pin) MIDI input, maybe as part of an audio interface?

• No, it's just a PC :). (With Windows 10, if that makes a difference.)

• I've always wondered if it would work if I connected two of these back-to-back using the DIN connectors, then plugged each into a device. I have one, but am tempted to get another just to see if it would work.

Humm ... I guess It would also require two adapters.

• @wim said:
    I've always wondered if it would work if I connected two of these back-to-back using the DIN connectors, then plugged each into a device. I have one, but am tempted to get another just to see if it would work.

This works. In place of the adapters, just cut the Din connectors off and solder the 2 units together

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:
    I've always wondered if it would work if I connected two of these back-to-back using the DIN connectors, then plugged each into a device. I have one, but am tempted to get another just to see if it would work.

This works. In place of the adapters, just cut the Din connectors off and solder the 2 units together

good to know. B)
    I think I'd still use the adapters for increased flexibility though.

I assume out of one would go to in of the other, and vice-versa, correct?

• Outs to ins, like you were connecting the DINs to another synth. Did it for a hot minute on a small portable rig to sync clock with a laptop.

• Now I'm curious. I'm gonna have to try that.

• edited July 2022

No different than if you ran your 1x1 into the back of a MOTU or other actual DIN interface. My computers are slaves in my environment and it was an easy way to get a stable clock to the laptop. You're just running at DIN speeds, not USB speeds.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:

Okay that sounds plausible, I will probably buy a couple like these and see where it gets me. (@wim, I will get the f/f adapters too. Amazon has a 2-pack for £6.95, so not worth destroying the main course :/ )

• @MarkH said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:

Okay that sounds plausible, I will probably buy a couple like these and see where it gets me. (@wim, I will get the f/f adapters too. Amazon has a 2-pack for £6.95, so not worth destroying the main course :/ )

I ordered two usb midi interfaces for this
    purpose alongside the f/f adapters and they work.