Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The AudioBus Collective Horrowshow Soundtrack : submission deadlines, updated call for skills

edited August 2022 in Creations

See below for the story so far re this collective challenge for the AudioBus Massive :)

***Update #1 ***

Ok, can we set a deadline for suggestions for a video to vote on, as the work we will collectively compose a soundtrack for, of :

Midnight Monday 1st Aug GMT

You need to submit your online link where the piece can be downloaded from, by then, with a brief para arguing why your choice should be selected.

It needs to be:

Public Domain

Playable as-is on iPad

In the genre of Horror (broadly)

Preferably silent era (since we’ll be playing it with our own soundtrack, duh! :) )

Once all submissions are in, we’ll post a vote, and the winner will then be announced. At that point, we’ll divide the running time by the number of people who want to participate, then allocate that fraction of the movie, selected by random lot, out to each contributor to work on in their own time.

You need to submit the online link where the piece can be downloaded from, and a brief para arguing why your choice should be selected.

It needs to be:

Public Domain

Playable as is on iPad

In the genre of Horror (broadly)

Preferably silent

At least 20 mins long

@Krupa has agreed to lay up the individual submissions to the video, but we need someone with audio engineering skills and/or DJ style cross mixing skills to oversee the sound mix of this final collage of 10-20 short pieces, and a similar number of ‘underscore’ filler materials, to use as they see fit, to make it all sound as cool and as coherent as possible.

More details below:

Hi all,

At @sevenape’s suggestion, visitors to my Datura thread have discussed the might of the awesome AudioBus Noise Collective swinging in behind the rescoring of an ancient, public domain horror movie in a suitably ambient way. (in my case, dark ambient, obvs), before uploading said Frankensteinian audio visual creation to the You Tubes.

The idea is to divide the run time of the finally selected movie by the number of people who want to play, and randomly allocate each participant a punch in and punch out point in the movie, tweakable to the nearest sensible cut. Given most of the early movies run to around an hour this is likely to be ten minutes or less of ‘soundtrack’ time for each player to score. Participants are also optionally asked to provide a less directly scored soundscape/sound FX/mood piece which can be used as underscore/filler elsewhere in the piece as required.

Signed up so far are me, the aforementioned sevenape, @Gavinski, and @Krupa, but the project is open to all comers. Krupa has volunteered to act as mixmaster for the final thing, but note this is all being done very slow time, so think weeks or months for the finished result, not hours or days.

First step is to invite suggestions for a suitable movie to work on. We’ll then run a vote to pick the favourite from suggestions made, and take it from there.

The rules are: it must (broadly, at least) fit under the category of ‘horror’; it should have a run time of 20 minutes or longer; it must definitely be public domain; and there has to be at least one good online source for direct download of the movie in iPad playable format.

There are obvious ‘classics’ out there like The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, of course, but don’t forget lesser known gems too. My personal preference is to find something weird that hasn’t already been done to death, but hey - this is a democracy, so surprise us ;)

A couple of suggestions to get you going:

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/wolf-blood-1925

https://publicdomainmovie.net/movie/the-hands-of-orlac-1924

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with!

Comments

• I'm entirely the wrong kind of artist to take part in this, but I'm extremely excited to see it happen. Can we get something like a live-blog in this thread so the rest of us can watch it come together?

• What about we aim to have it done by halloween!? Too cheesey?

• Yes! And then a watchalong on the night!

• Personally I think one of the old German expressionist Films would be great, but I’ll leave it to the more knowledgeable to suggest some unknown nugget!

• Could be good. Lots of different parts

• edited July 2022

@sevenape : Well - I love the title! Checking the movie now. The livestream/watch along sounds cool too. :)

• @FastGhost said:
    Yes! And then a watchalong on the night!

YES!!! A live watch along!!

• @Svetlovska said:
    @sevenape : Well - I love the title! Checking the movie now.

Maybe a bit slow? Haha

• edited July 2022

For what it’s worth this is my contribution to the vote-on list:

https://archive.org/details/Vampyr_201612

Made in 1932 just as sound was coming in, and so shot in three language versions (only two of which apparently survive), with a mix of minimal sound and (way too many) title cards, it barely works as a coherent narrative at all, but rather as an extended hallucination. (To my mind making it perfect fodder for our experiment.)

This is especially true of the central section where the nominal hero, a moon-faced young man played by the wealthy non-acting aristocrat, who in an early example of crowd funding, was rewarded with the lead for financing the movie (!), has an out of body experience. He sees himself being carried to his grave, and it is - unsettling, yet oddly compelling, more art house than grind house. Dreyer, the director, shot the whole movie through gauze, (when filters were really filters) and so the thing has a still-beautiful, still-weird prevailing mood of distanced melancholy. An extended dream of death…

This is the unrestored, slightly abbreviated public domain version. There is a recent Criterion Collection restored version based on a longer restored 1998 cut, which I presume remains in copyright in that configuration, and which I am therefore staying well away from.

Given that there are uploads of the full Criterion cut on You Tube which have been up for 8 months thus far (and incidentally racked up watches in the single digits in that time) I don’t imagine the experiment will trouble anyone’s lawyers, especially if prefaced with a good faith statement citing the public domain source and willingness to take down if challenged. Hell, we could even include a link to the restored one and info about it. No one is looking to make the big bucks here, I take it…?

• I'd love to contribute some noise to the collective! 🤩 That'd be fun!

• Whoa, just having my tiny mind blown open to this off-the-scale idea.

• @Svetlovska said:
    For what it’s worth this is my contribution to the vote-on list:

https://archive.org/details/Vampyr_201612

Made in 1932 just as sound was coming in, and so shot in three language versions (only two of which apparently survive), with a mix of minimal sound and (way too many) title cards, it barely works as a coherent narrative at all, but rather as an extended hallucination. (To my mind making it perfect fodder for our experiment.)

This is especially true of the central section where the nominal hero, a moon-faced young man played by the wealthy non-acting aristocrat, who in an early example of crowd funding, was rewarded with the lead for financing the movie (!), has an out of body experience. He sees himself being carried to his grave, and it is - unsettling, yet oddly compelling, more art house than grind house. Dreyer, the director, shot the whole movie through gauze, (when filters were really filters) and so the thing has a still-beautiful, still-weird prevailing mood of distanced melancholy. An extended dream of death…

This is the unrestored, slightly abbreviated public domain version. There is a recent Criterion Collection restored version based on a longer restored 1998 cut, which I presume remains in copyright in that configuration, and which I am therefore staying well away from.

Given that there are uploads of the full Criterion cut on You Tube which have been up for 8 months thus far (and incidentally racked up watches in the single digits in that time) I don’t imagine the experiment will trouble anyone’s lawyers, especially if prefaced with a good faith statement citing the public domain source and willingness to take down if challenged. Hell, we could even include a link to the restored one and info about it. No one is looking to make the big bucks here, I take it…?

Im up for vampyr. We could just leave the subtitles up and completely remove the soundtrack. It’s frrrrreaky…

• That is what I had in mind. And yes. Yes it is… :)

• This sounds fascinating. Just skimmed the other thread and this one, so will have a serious look at the videos and ideas over the next couple of days. I may well be up for it!

• Vampyr is a great choice. There's some Jan Svankmajer films on Archive.org too, which not strictly horror, can be pretty disturbing. https://archive.org/details/j_svankmajer/Jan+Svankmajer/

• Count me in!

• I'd be interested. I have no movie preferences. Something obscure seems best. The one @sevenape linked here looked good to me. If a lot of people want to join this, I'd be happy doing just 5 minutes.

• I would like to contribute something. 10 minutes sounds a little daunting though… could I be a wildcard and maybe submit something under 5?

• Someone should maybe volunteer to be the person who does the final mix and decides what goes where. Any takers? 😝

• edited July 2022

@Krupa has already volunteered, utter hero that he is. See Datura thread, and my initial post at the top of this page:

@Krupa has volunteered to act as mixmaster for the final thing, but note this is all being done very slow time, so think weeks or months for the finished result, not hours or days.”

• edited July 2022

I was actually thinking I’d volunteered to more lay the audio back into the original video rather than mastering tbh- I’m no engineer and I’m pretty good at trashing my own levels so might not be best trusted with everyone else’s 😅

• I mean I can barely use a compressor for instance 😁

• edited July 2022

@Krupa : apologies! I kind of made no distinction between putting the sound to video and creating the mix, because I thought it was one and the same process, and, as I said - I’m definitely no expert!

My own ‘mastering’ makes no distinction when I make one of my vids, I’ll just be slapping FAC Bandit on its’ init ‘Final Exciter’ setting, Bark Filter on Tripleband with limiter setting , and calling it a day.

I’ll shut up if there’s a grown up around who can do it properly, but, perhaps one way would be for you to lay up the tracks to video as you said, then pass that (as an unmastered multitrack master?) project file in a suitable DAW to someone else who knows what those eq and compressor thingummies actually do? Or give it to me, and I’ll whack FAC Bandit and Bark Filter over everything…?

I guess what will actually be required once you’ve worked your magic is basically managing levels across the transitions from piece to piece, and sonically ‘glueing’ it all together so it sounds like a coherent work? Someone with DJ/cross fade skills would be good…

Also, at the point of inviting audio submission, it’ll probably be useful for whoever is going to audio master it to set out any rules that might make it easier for them, like including bpms run time and key info along with the submission, recording everything to an initial set db max level, whatever…

So: any mastering wizards out there? Probably people who play and record ‘real’ acoustic/electric instruments as their thing, I’m guessing?

Or DJ mix masters?

Don’t be shy…

• No worries @Svetlovska , I think that’ll be best, hopefully someone with ears and brain that line up nicely will step up as beyond roll off under 100hz or over 10k I’m next to useless… laying out timelines though, I’m fairly used to that…

• edited July 2022

Btw I’ve not had chance to watch in detail the suggested movies, but in general is say the more visually striking the better they’ll inspire us…I’ve got to go and read a short book about valves now though, I’m back at that, but struggling with the tech and maths…

• Totally agree. I’m biased, obvs, but Vampyr delivers more startling images per minute than most…

• I’ll try and download them today and take a solid look, we should maybe think about a shared folder somewhere as well, maybe a YouTube channel for uploading it to when it’s done…

• This is a great idea. If there is room, I would love to contribute some music too!

• edited July 2022

Both of those are very good suggestions! I’ve just set a deadline of Monday Midnight for anyone who wants to suggest a movie to work on, but these are the ones we’ve got so far:

https://ia903205.us.archive.org/9/items/Vampyr_201612/Vampyr.mp4

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/wolf-blood-1925

https://publicdomainmovie.net/movie/the-hands-of-orlac-1924

https://archive.org/details/WhiteZombie

https://archive.org/details/SvengaliJohnBarrymoreBKCap1931

http://publicdomainmovies.net/movie/robert-wienes-genuine-a-tale-of-a-vampire-1920

http://publicdomainmovies.net/movie/the-golem

http://publicdomainmovies.net/movie/das-kabinett-des-doktor-caligari-the-cabinet-of-dr-caligari

https://archive.org/details/ko-6rkarlen-victor-sj-c-3-b-6str-c-3-b-6m

(Interestingly, Korkalen, The Phantom Carriage, a silent movie, already has a version with a modern Dark Ambient soundtrack, (which is pretty good) by the band KTL, but this version is definitely pd, with a classical score added which we could replace.)

Second only in the amazing visuals territory of course is Caligari, my only worry there is that it is a little too famous, Vampyr is more obscure and therefore to my eyes anyway more interesting.

If I had another lifetime, skills, and an attention span which extended beyond ‘lunch!’, I would think of creating some kind of meta narrative by collaging sections of all these films together, with specially shot linking scenes, video FX etc… somewhat in the style of Adam Curtis, who is a stone cold genius as far as I am concerned…

… but I don’t! :)

• Heh, let’s do this one and see what’s next next 😁

That’s quite a list, I’ll get into it ASAP, I was also thinking I might start a Google spreadsheet with at least a list of forum names on it, we can then add section details and perhaps some contact info later, I’m not a producer really but I’ve learned some organisational techniques can really help me stop falling into chaos…