Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB2, MTDAW, Auria, Bias, ToneStack, GarageBand

edited December 2014 in Creations

Hi everyone. Here's a rock ballad done tracking bass and electric guitars in MTDAW via AudioBus with Bias and ToneStack, then pasted into Auria (I like the stability of AB and MTDAW on my iPad 2). Organ recorded in and exported from GarageBand, vocals and acoustic guitars tracked in Auria. Mixed in Auria and mastered in Final Touch. The drums are loops from Drums on Demand.

Any feedback on the mix, song, and/or performance is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi,
    beautiful song!I'm really glad to hear a SONG in this forum.A bit Tom Petty-ish.
    I think ,if the drums weren't compressed that much,it would fit better for this kind of music.
    And ,there are one or two notes where you are a bit off too much with your vocals,just a bit.
    Very nice guitars!I hope,you don't get my critic points wrong.I like your song and your vocals
    very much.Keep on writing and recording.Best wishes - Chris

• Wow, great song!

100% agree on the drums—too compressed for the tune. Hard to make a specific suggestion without knowing how you set it up but something like cutting the ratio in half and upping the threshold a bit. A little will probably sound nice but it's such a natural and lovely sounding song/mix otherwise, the hyper compressed drums just don't fit. They don't need to be that loud either - they're just there to move the great vocal melody/words along.

I'd also consider dropping the vocals about 3db. Just a little bit to get them to blend a little more. They should definitely be the most prominent thing but I think you'd still have that after dropping them a little. The sound is great. I wouldn't change a single note of them though. Great take(s).

The very first hit of the song "I just.." seems like something got misaligned. No big deal; never bothered the Velvet Underground... just saying. :)

• @Schimanski & @syrupcore. Thank you for the constructive comments. I tried getting a better sound with those drums, but they're compressed out of the box (Drums on Demand country loop pack). I agree they're pretty squashed; I'll see what else I can do. That opening line is off, not on purpose, but I did make a conscious decision to leave it that way; I thought it had a certain quirky cool about it. I know about my vocal intonation, and it's something I continue to struggle with. I did several passes on the vox, and I always track things that require microphones late at night, after everyone's off to bed. It always seems to get late in a hurry. No excuses, and I appreciate your honesty about the vox. Thank you both again for listening.

• Since you already have auria you could always add drumagog to get a different drum sound without having to do much work to redo them. I know that spending more money on one more app can be aggravating, but the auria version of drumagog is a whole lot cheaper than the desktop version. Rim does throw in more gog files for free if you email your itunes receipt. At least that used to be the case.

• Your vocal intonation is great, you have nothing to excuse! It wavers a bit here and there but so did plant, petty, presley, ross, redding, reed, franklin, dylan, bowie... You sell the lyric and keep the melody, the rest is academic.

• @Flo26. Thanks so much. Emotion and atmosphere is certainly something you know all about.

@Janie. I have Drumagog, but this particular loop set is single track. I was under the impression that Drumagog doesn't do single track drum loops very well. Maybe I could isolate just the snare. To my ears, that's the biggest culprit. It's strange because the loop set is supposed to be country flavored. I guess country music has gone through some changes too. Thanks for the suggestion. Can't hurt to try.

@syrupcore. I'm very uncomfortable with that list of names, but I understand your point. Thank you very much.

Thanks to all of you for listening and taking the time to offer your ears and ideas. I truly appreciate it.

• A tiny bit of Autotune (not too much) might help with vocal intonation. There is an app that uses the same algorithm, but I forget which one.

• Great song and production.

I woudn't worry too much about the intonation of the vox, first of all it's not at all that bad, secondly if anything it brings character to the song.

• @PaulB. Thanks for the suggestion. I've played with the one in Auria and the actual autotune app for iOS. I'm baffled by both.

@Carlsson. Thanks for giving the song a listen and for your generous comments. My wife and kids would certainly agree that there is a character in the song. Sorry for the bad pun; I can't seem to resist.

• Great track! Thanks for sharing.

• @SuperNiCd. Thanks for listening. Glad you liked it.

• For Drumagog, you could copy the track and then use Pro-EQ to notch to isolate snare etc. That would allow you to "separate" the single track into individual tracks for processing.

• @sch. I'll give that a try. Thanks so much.