Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can I run Loopy Pro on two Ipads simultaneously through Motu M4?

Hello All,
Anyone know if this is possible? My next thing I was going to try would be to split the USB C at the back of the M4 with a USB C data hub and then into 2 USB3 powered hubs and "Apple Lightning to USB3 adapters" into the ipads. What I tried already was adding the second ipad into the system by plugging it into the USB hub of the first one. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• You’ll need an iConnectAudio interface to interconnect two iPads like that.

• Yes. You cannot actually do that. USB is a very simple master/slave system. A USB system has one master (computer or iPad) and multiple slaves. Connecting a slave to two masters, or trying to connect an iPad as a slave, will not work.

The iConnectAudio interfaces can do this because they have two host ports, so they can act as slaves to two masters. This requires some clever computer stuff inside the box; they're not just simple USB devices.

What are you actually trying to achieve with this? Sample different audio sources simultaneously? Generate a mixed audio output?

• Sync them via Ableton LINK.

• @Ko said:
    Hello All,
    Anyone know if this is possible? My next thing I was going to try would be to split the USB C at the back of the M4 with a USB C data hub and then into 2 USB3 powered hubs and "Apple Lightning to USB3 adapters" into the ipads. What I tried already was adding the second ipad into the system by plugging it into the USB hub of the first one. Thanks in advance!

I don’t think the host app (Loopy Pro) is relevant to the issue. As @uncledave said, unless an interface is made to connect to two computers/iPads , you can only have one interface per device.

• What type of "USB-C data hub" do you expect to use to split the USB-C from the Motu? Most USB-C hubs/docs have only one host connection.

The term "USB hub" may be misleading. These hubs are actually USB port expanders. They're not peer connectors like the old ethernet hubs were.

• KoKo
    edited July 2022

Thanks Everyone!
    What wanting to do is have one ipad for me and one for a friend, both of us improvising and live looping. The audio signal from both loopers would ideally go into the Motu and then out into my Elektron Analog Rytm input which is the 3rd instrument in the system. I've been doing this with one ipad beautifully so far. I'm wanting to avoid having to get a second interface and mixer to keep the system more mobile. The Rytm is the master clock.

This is the "hub" I was thinking of trying.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NDQGSPR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_11?smid=A3AP5TZF1ZCXHP&psc=1

I'll look into the iConnect audio. I wonder how the sound quality compares. My long term intention has been to upgrade to a larger Motu interface to also have the option of utilizing the individual outs on the Rytm and Loopy to go into my analog mixer, add effects, and then record into my DAW (which i'm currently not using at all) for recording.

• Right. That hub is essentially the same as any other: one host port, several slave ports. You cannot connect an iPad to a slave port and make magic happen. Sorry.

• Okay, if I understand correctly, iConnectivity Audio 4C is the way. Thanks!