Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What a long strange trip it has been: Datura

Comments

• @sevenape said:

@sevenape : ah, Haxan. As is the original witchcraft movie, I take it? A century old (!) and still a fascinating artefact:

Yes that! and also just 'Witchy'!

Watching Häxan. Quite fun and interesting so far, but dear god I wish Svetlovska had been around to do the soundtrack. What is this merry orchestral nonsense? I've literally never heard a less fitting movie soundtrack 😂

• edited July 2022

:) I’m old… but not that old!

• @Gavinski said:

@sevenape said:

@sevenape : ah, Haxan. As is the original witchcraft movie, I take it? A century old (!) and still a fascinating artefact:

Watching Häxan. Quite fun and interesting so far, but dear god I wish Svetlovska had been around to do the soundtrack. What is this merry orchestral nonsense? I've literally never heard a less fitting movie soundtrack 😂

Maybe we should all get together and rescore it!?

• @sevenape said:

@Gavinski said:

@sevenape said:

That is actually a pretty damn cool idea. Would we have the rights to show that new version though?

• @Gavinski said:

@sevenape said:

@Gavinski said:

@sevenape said:

That is actually a pretty damn cool idea. Would we have the rights to show that new version though?

It only has to be "different enough". Are you talking about the whole sound track or just a specific song?

• @rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:

@sevenape said:

@Gavinski said:

@sevenape said:

It only has to be "different enough". Are you talking about the whole sound track or just a specific song?

Well I think he's talking about, say, being able to upload the whole movie to YouTube but with an entirely different score. Movie would be the same but soundtrack completely different. Movie is 100 years old.

• Films
    Knowing if a film is in the public domain is complicated because so many people and types of copyright works are often involved in its production. According to UK copyright law, in order to know if a film is in the public domain you need to identify the following creators:

(a) the principal director

(b) the author of the screenplay

(c) the author of the dialogue, and

(d) the composer of music specially created for and used in the film

Copyright in the film expires 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last person listed above dies.

A good source of freely available films is the Prelinger Archives, a collection of movies that are supposed to be in the public domain in the US. However, remember that copyright law is territorial. So, while a film from this archive might be in the public domain in the US, it may still be in copyright in the UK, and identifying the copyright owner may not always be easy. Indeed, many of the films contained in the Prelinger Archives are orphan works: works that are in copyright but whose copyright owner is unknown or cannot be traced.

• edited July 2022

Seems like this version is silent (I haven't downloaded to check) and public domain

https://archive.org/details/Haxan_tinted_and_subtitled

• @Gavinski said:

@rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:

@sevenape said:

@Gavinski said:

@sevenape said:

Well I think he's talking about, say, being able to upload the whole movie to YouTube but with an entirely different score. Movie would be the same but soundtrack completely different. Movie is 100 years old.

@Gavinski said:
    Seems like this version is silent (I haven't downloaded to check) and public domain

That’s exactly what I’m talking about!, that version you posted from archive has the music still, but if we completely remove their soundtrack I imagine it would be fine. Honestly I think the music on it was chosen because it’s also out of copyright

• Definitely sounds like an interesting project

• Sums up the emotions I felt earlier this week when in a fight with one of my friends.

Beautifully done! Tense, forboding, excellent! What did you use to create this track besides the modular loop ported into AUM? :)

• @sevenape said:

@Gavinski said:

@rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:

@sevenape said:

@Gavinski said:

@sevenape said:

@Gavinski said:

That’s exactly what I’m talking about!, that version you posted from archive has the music still, but if we completely remove their soundtrack I imagine it would be fine. Honestly I think the music on it was chosen because it’s also out of copyright

@Krupa said:
    Definitely sounds like an interesting project

Definitely sounds interesting, I'd be up for contributing to that 👍

• Thinking about it though, I wonder if there is a better choice which is actually more of a horror, but also in the public domain. Any thoughts? Häxan is fun but not really a horror, apart from in a few scenes, but even those are quite tongue-in-cheek.

• edited July 2022

?

Based on Poe’s The Premature Burial. 1927. Source : BFI archive. Silent, scored for Rachmaninov’s C# Minor Prelude, full of visual cues to sound, short, definitely horror. I’m game for a laugh… ( and not just because I have the exact same statue as featured in the film:

the only thing is I’m not sure if it is public domain…

*** update*** that’s a nope, sadly. Pity. I fancied that. Might mess with a screen cap (and guest appearances by my Poe figure - it’s The Red Death, btw, as in The Masque Of… fame.

There’s these:

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/wolf-blood-1925

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/the-cabinet-of-dr-caligari-1920

Caligari is better, (a stone cold classic, in fact, obvs); wolfblood less well known so arguably a better source

Right: you’ve got my blood up now. Going to have to go on a web hunt…

• @Svetlovska said:

?

Based on Poe’s The Premature Burial. 1927. Source : BFI archive. Silent, scored for Rachmaninov’s C# Minor Prelude, full of visual cues to sound, short, definitely horror. I’m game for a laugh… ( and not just because I have the exact same statue as featured in the film:

the only thing is I’m not sure if it is public domain…

*** update*** that’s a nope, sadly. Pity. I fancied that. Might mess with a screen cap anyway.

There’s these:

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/wolf-blood-1925

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/the-cabinet-of-dr-caligari-1920

Caligari is better, (a stone cold classic, obvs); wolfblood less well known so arguably a better source

Thnx for doing the checking Svetlovska! Which do you think would be best. Just pick one and let's make it happen

• Would also be a great showcase for iOS music

• what about this one?

A page of madness.

There aren't even any dialogue cards, just pure film.

• edited July 2022

@sevenape : excellent find, and very interesting. But an hour plus is about fifty minutes longer than my attention span! :) Sections of maybe. Or something shorter in the first place, like this:

In the public domain, an avant garde 1928 take on The Fall Of The House Of Usher. Run to 12 mins - which most of my pieces tend to! Also: it’s as mad as a box of frogs, which also appeals ;)

• I think if there are a bunch of us contributing sounds, length is not an issue. The most important thing is picking something suitable to the weird ambient we tend to make

• @Svetlovska said:
    @sevenape : excellent find, and very interesting. But an hour plus is about fifty minutes longer than my attention span! :) Sections of maybe. Or something shorter in the first place, like this:

In the public domain, an avant garde 1928 take on The Fall Of The House Of Usher. Run to 12 mins - which most of my pieces tend to!

Aha! Something we could do individually you mean rather than a combined effort!? That would make things easier for sure!! A short film! Good idea! I remember seeing a batsh!t crazy french film recently...

• it was this... bit too slapstick though

• @sevenape said:

@Svetlovska said:

In the public domain, an avant garde 1928 take on The Fall Of The House Of Usher. Run to 12 mins - which most of my pieces tend to!

Aha! Something we could do individually you mean rather than a combined effort!? That would make things easier for sure!! A short film! Good idea! I remember seeing a batsh!t crazy french film recently...

That's also an interesting idea...but I think a combined effort on a longer piece would be fun!

• @Gavinski : I’m easy either way, but does that mean someone has to volunteer to collage everything together? I’m not sure I have the tech chops for that. Someone better like, er - you! Or @iOSTRAKON or @Krupa mebbe…

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Gavinski : I’m easy either way, but does that mean someone has to volunteer to collage everything together? I’m not sure I have the tech chops for that. Someone better like, er - you! Or @iOSTRAKON or @Krupa mebbe…

I might be good for that, a section to do some sounds for would deffo be fun. I’ve not watched Haxan for ages, since my witch film research obsession started really, I’ll check out the others… might not be a quick project all in all, few weeks / months maybe rather than a few days?

• edited July 2022

@Krupa : yes, that sounds great. No rush, and with a pro at the helm, it could actually end up being, er… quite good!

So I guess we need to decide a rough format, maybe a max 10 minute or whatever section each of the chosen movie, and the chance to submit a) a piece specifically scored for the ten minutes, and b) a complementary, perhaps more abstract or soundscapey thing which can be used as and when as filler or underscore or whatever you call it, throughout the piece, at the discretion of the mixmaster.

So: a suggestion on a way forward:

Vote on a movie from a submissions short list; divide the chosen run time of the winner by the number of participants; use a random dice roller (I’ve got one where you can set any number of ‘faces’) to allocate the relevant section to each person, as determined by the number of participants, so no one gets to hog the good bits (!) ; everyone goes off to study their section and do a thing in their own sweet time; then as and when, submits their a and b piece to the mix master as basic wav files, who then in their own sweet time can lay up the tracks against the movie.

Whaddyall think?

• This sounds like a great idea. I’ll be happy to divide the film into more or less logical sections if no one else wants to!

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Krupa : yes, that sounds great. No rush, and with a pro at the helm, it could actually end up being, er… quite good!

So I guess we need to decide a rough format, maybe a max 10 minute or whatever section each of the chosen movie, and the chance to submit a) a piece specifically scored for the ten minutes, and b) a complementary, perhaps more abstract or soundscapey thing which can be used as and when as filler or underscore or whatever you call it, throughout the piece, at the discretion of the mixmaster.

So: a suggestion on a way forward:

Vote on a movie from a submissions short list; divide the chosen run time of the winner by the number of participants; use a random dice roller (I’ve got one where you can set any number of ‘faces’) to allocate the relevant section to each person, as determined by the number of participants, so no one gets to hog the good bits (!) ; everyone goes off to study their section and do a thing in their own sweet time; then as and when, submits their a and b piece to the mix master as basic wav files, who then in their own sweet time can lay up the tracks against the movie.

Whaddyall think?

Sounds good, and random allocation is probably smart, less to think about 😁

• edited July 2022

Yes, but it doesn’t have to be totally rigid, of course, so if you are given the nine minutes beginning at 27 mins in, and there is a natural scene break or cut at 9.20 or 8.30, you can tweak your ‘a’ piece to fit accordingly, making it easier to transition or cross fade between scenes. (Thinks: maybe it would help to include the tempo and key info and punch in and out times for your ‘a’ piece along with your submissions too. I’ll give you a clue about mine upfront : 20 bpm all the way, baby. But only because AUM doesn’t go slower…)

If we all use the same source for the movie, we should be able to standardise our timings from that source, more or less. I know my kind of noise does not require SMPTE code locking or sample accurate cutting to the beat. Feel free to pitch or tempo stretch me to your heart’s content. YMMV… ;)

• Bit of a toe tapper for you @Svetlovska 😊
    Datura is the same family as tomatoes and potatoes… makes you think!
    Brugmansia suaveolens is the same family, also toxic, but bizarrely available to buy without any warnings and can be seen in a few gardens. Then again most plants in British gardens are pretty toxic without people knowing…

• This is Peak Svetlovska!
    Sounds superb. Truly a masterwork.