Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad / iRig Keys Pro connecting + charging

My dilemma…
I have an Irig keys pro. An iPad Pro. A camera connection kit. USB power hub. I plug the connector kit into the iPad and the Irig into the camera connection kit’s lightning port. I am then left with an unused USB port on the connector kit and no way to charge the iPad
If I plug a power brick directly into the camera connector kit lightning port to charge the iPad, then I can’t use the Irig.
So to charge the iPad and use the Irig keys, can I use a USB to USB cable from the camera connector kit to a powered hub?
Or alternatively, is there a female lightning connector to USB cable that I can run from the Irig lightning connector to the camera connection kit USB port?
I need help.
Its frustrating to keep using the Irig Keys with the iPad and the iPad runs out of juice and then i have to wait and charge it up again to get back to playing.
Thanks for any all help.

Comments

• McDMcD
    edited July 2022

Doesn’t the I rig offer multiple cable types? You need to use CCK lightning for power only and connect the irig using the USB-B (rectangle) port for device and hub connections. That lightning port wasn’t designed to pass all the signals… just power. I can’t believe the irig works off the CCK lightning port. I sometimes wish it did. IK multimedia will sell you the right cable if you lost the right option. The required cable is the only option to connect to a MacBook so it’s included along with the lightning cable for IOS devices. Look in any spare cable boxes for this optional cable or buy one for the likely $40 cost they will charge you since the device end is their own design. If you get one for free tell me how you did it.

• I have the iRig Keys Pro. It has two ports, one for the Lightning connection, the other for USB. The USB port is a standard USB micro connector, not proprietary. You can use the USB cable that came with the keyboard to connect to the CCK or to a hub. Connect your iPad charger to the Lightning port on the CCK to keep the iPad running.

• McD + uncledave,
    Thank you both for the help. Appreciated.
    uncledave,
    yes the micro USB cable can go to a USB hub (for power?)…but by doing that then the Irig and the iPad will exchange data?
    If I’m connecting the iPad to the CCK lightning port how do the Irig and iPad exchange data?
    What about the 8 pin to lightning connector the Irig uses with iOS devices?
    If I’m being dumb here, I apologize, but I don’t get it.

• Connect the CCK to the iPad Lightning port. Power to the CCK Lightning port. Connect the USB micro port on iRig Keys Pro to the USB port on the CCK using the appropriate cable. Keys will get power from the CCK and send MIDI to the iPad through the USB port. You do not use the Keys Lightning cable in this setup. It only works direct to the iPad, which prevents supplying power, as you already observed.

• thank you uncledave.
    I was just rereading through your previous post and figured this was what you were telling me. This last post by you confirms it.
    A thick skull on my part led me astray.
    Thank you again.

• Just in case it was overlooked ... the lightning port on the CCK is for power input only. It doesn't carry data at all. To use the CCK you have to plug in to the USB port. Also, even if you have a powered hub, the power will not charge the iPad via the USB port. You have to send power to the iPad through the lightning port on the CCK.

With some powered USB hubs will let you run a USB / Lightning cable (standard charging cable) to the lightning port so that you don't have to use another wall wart.

Confusing? Just remember the CCK USB port is for data, the CCK lightning port is for power (only).

• The following information is not related to this thread (OP’s question), just for the record.
    This is about USB-C.

iRig Keys Pro, iRig Keys, iRig Keys Mini, iRig Pads

Those products have two types of ports, Micro-USB and Mini-DIN.
    They (iRig Keys Pro, iRig Keys, iRig Keys Mini, iRig Pads) don’t seem to be compatible with IK's USB-C to Mini-DIN Cable.
    Apparently, users need to use IK's USB-C to Micro-USB Cable.