Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

4 Pockets Progressions App

Comments

• @knewspeak said:

@sch said:

@sambo said:
    @sch - purchase on ipad store - then can find on Mac App Store - under iphone and ipad apps. Not sure if an M1 mac is required.

Wow, still no joy. I have both an M1 iPad Pro and the M1 MacBook Air, but I do not see it anywhere in the Mac App Store including the iPhone and iPad sections. Searching for both "4Pockets" and "Progressions" doesn't yield anything.

If you’re logged into your account the same as iOS device you can then click on your account on the AppStore bottom left, then look at the iPad apps for your purchase’s it should be there.

Thanks, mate, that did the trick!

• Tutorial and jams using Progressions

• @Gavinski said:
    Another thing I kind of find myself wanting here is something similar to Scaler 2s white key right hand playing functionality. Because I'm creating some lovely progressions but if they are complicated I find them difficult to play over as I am far from a great keyboardist and the whole point of this app is to escape traditional scales, so something like Atom2 white keys scale filtering is not really a solution. Any suggestions? I'd love to have the ear and fingers of a Linear Lineman to be able to jam along to the truly interesting progressions this app can come up with

Exactly what I was thinking about! It would be so nice to easily jam along without worrying too much about the scale

• @sch said:

@knewspeak said:

@sch said:

@sambo said:
    @sch - purchase on ipad store - then can find on Mac App Store - under iphone and ipad apps. Not sure if an M1 mac is required.

Wow, still no joy. I have both an M1 iPad Pro and the M1 MacBook Air, but I do not see it anywhere in the Mac App Store including the iPhone and iPad sections. Searching for both "4Pockets" and "Progressions" doesn't yield anything.

If you’re logged into your account the same as iOS device you can then click on your account on the AppStore bottom left, then look at the iPad apps for your purchase’s it should be there.

Thanks, mate, that did the trick!

No problem, the Mac AppStore is a real mess, searching for something is near impossible.

• @Jer4 said:

@Gavinski said:
    Another thing I kind of find myself wanting here is something similar to Scaler 2s white key right hand playing functionality. Because I'm creating some lovely progressions but if they are complicated I find them difficult to play over as I am far from a great keyboardist and the whole point of this app is to escape traditional scales, so something like Atom2 white keys scale filtering is not really a solution. Any suggestions? I'd love to have the ear and fingers of a Linear Lineman to be able to jam along to the truly interesting progressions this app can come up with

Exactly what I was thinking about! It would be so nice to easily jam along without worrying too much about the scale

Genuinely not sure how easy that would be to implement! Or how musical the results would be if it allowed you to play any note in the progression, with complex progressions. Would certainly like a chance to experiment with it

• edited July 2022

@Gavinski said:

@Jer4 said:

@Gavinski said:

Genuinely not sure how easy that would be to implement! Or how musical the results would be if it allowed you to play any note in the progression, with complex progressions. Would certainly like a chance to experiment with it

I think scaler 2 does quite a good job with it’s play in scale functionality, but it might be hard to implement indeed… Paul always surprises, who knows it’s something he can work out easily!

Edit: Forgot the changing scales. You are right, this is a different situation than in scaler 2. At least much more complex, but who knows it can be done

• I've forwarded that idea to David, who worked on the app with Paul. Don't want to bombard Paul with too many suggestions etc in one day 😂. But I'm glad I got round to giving the manual a good read as well as David's paper, though I will definitely dive into that more times!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:
    Does this do something that Scaler 2 doesn't do? Seems to be a bit overlap in functionality.

It runs on iphone :smiley:

I'm wondering the same thing, though. It does look a bit more generative. I'm wantto understand more about the freedom parameter. Like, can I expect it to modulate or borrow chords automatically, or if there's a bit more randomness to it.

• @Gavinski said:

@monz0id said:

@Gavinski said:
    I’m not sure as we swipe to scroll, TAP and HOLD to select in the column header to change selection, TAP and HOLD in the body of the columns to copy/paste. Maybe TAP, HOLD and DRAG in the header would work, but to be honest I plan a revamp of song mode.

Any idea why we have to tap & hold to select a chord, and not just tap once? That would then leave tap & hold available for dragging/re-ordering.

Paul said:

The long press is to allow both scrolling without accidentally changing the selected position. I will see if there is a way to speed this up.

Cool.

Have they responded to requests for accommodating more than one play mode (e.g. open chord + arp) playing at once? I may as well give up and go with Scaler 2, if not.

• @eylvy said:
    Tutorial and jams using Progressions

Thanks @eylvy

Also big thanks to @Gavinski for actively getting info about updates and improvements to Paul.

• I have scaler and progressions, I am happy to own both, and this also runs on the phone which scaler doesn’t, and doubt if it ever will
    Still learning the app

• @Gdub said:
    I have scaler and progressions, I am happy to own both, and this also runs on the phone which scaler doesn’t, and doubt if it ever will
    Still learning the app

From what you know so far, how would you say they complement each other?

• @AlexY said:

@Gdub said:
    I have scaler and progressions, I am happy to own both, and this also runs on the phone which scaler doesn’t, and doubt if it ever will
    Still learning the app

From what you know so far, how would you say they complement each other?

They both have different pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses. I think it would take a very very long post to go into that in detail.

Some differences off the top of my head without going too deep:
    Scaler has a detect mode which Progressions doesn't
    Scaler allows much more control over length of individual chords in song mode.
    Progressions gives a visual aspect to arps / strums which scaler doesn't, though Scaler comes with tons of variations built in, which Progressions doesn't.
    Scaler song mode is a bit nicer to use, though I don't particularly enjoy either.

The main thing in Progressions' favour is the ability to move completely beyond conventional chords / scales with one push of the generate button while the freedom and complexity levels are set high. This is not to be underestimated!

Much more to say but it would take hours that I don't have. Scaler is very deep in terms of functionality. Progressions is deep in terms of pushing harmonic boundaries.

• @AlexY
    Basically what @Gavinski said

• Thank you!

• edited July 2022

@eylvy said:

Thanks.. Will love to see priority given to the Arp/Strum feature.. with probability, skip, repeat, reset, etc. and full screen/stretch with the editor..

Nice..

• The dev replied re the chord being in first inversion:

"This is intentional and because of the way the algorithm works in an attempt to keep all top notes aligned."

• @RajahP said:

@eylvy said:

Thanks.. Will love to see priority given to the Arp/Strum feature.. with probability, skip, repeat, reset, etc. and full screen/stretch with the editor..

Nice..

Yes would be nice if the song editor could go full screen. It's not enjoyable to work with at this size

• @Gavinski said:

@RajahP said:

@eylvy said:

Nice..

Yes would be nice if the song editor could go full screen. It's not enjoyable to work with at this size

Did he get back to you on the lack of multi-play modes?

Without this, the comparisons with Scaler 2 are meaningless, it's just a fancy strummer/chord/arp player. A good fancy strummer/chord/arp player, but not the 'all-in-one' some think it might be.

• There's a new video from Paul:

• @monz0id said:

@Gavinski said:

@RajahP said:

@eylvy said:

Nice..

Did he get back to you on the lack of multi-play modes?

Without this, the comparisons with Scaler 2 are meaningless, it's just a fancy strummer/chord/arp player. A good fancy strummer/chord/arp player, but not the 'all-in-one' some think it might be.

I don't think he did respond to that. You should email him or maybe post on his youtube, I think he reads comments there

• Few nice things added already in the latest beta, so dev is definitely listening 👍 👍

• Paul is great. I just told a friend earlier that I believe the app would have lots of great updates in the future.

• @eylvy said:
    Paul is great. I just told a friend earlier that I believe the app would have lots of great updates in the future.

Generally there is a whirlwind of updates in the first weeks of a new release, yes

• Being able to preview arp or strum instead of only the block chords would be awesome ie run the arp or strum as long as the preview is held down.

• @nothinglasts4everpt2 said:
    Being able to preview arp or strum instead of only the block chords would be awesome ie run the arp or strum as long as the preview is held down.

It would indeed!

• There's a new video from Paul:

• @nothinglasts4everpt2 said:
    Being able to preview arp or strum instead of only the block chords would be awesome ie run the arp or strum as long as the preview is held down.

I was thinking this too, would be very welcome..

• @White said:
    There's a new video from Paul:

Nice! Will go watch... In youtube 😉 😉