Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

4 Pockets Progressions App

Comments

• @monz0id said:
    What would be great is if we could assign multiple modes to a chord in the song (e.g. open chord, plus arp) and then when the modes are routed out to channels in AUM (via the main settings editor), we could hear both elements playing. So the open chords being played via a piano app, and arp/strums played via a guitar. This would also avoid having to mess about with multiple instances.

Did u look at the 'styles' feature? Paul also gives some examples of this in his preview vid. I am fairly sure it will let you do this

• Am I missing something or does this actually have no undo / redo function, which is actually pretty indispensable in something like the song sequencer, imo.

• edited July 2022

@RajahP said:

Ok.. seems like it should be standard... just might be a 'bug'. Thanks.

I think it must be - at the moment it just mirrors the 'Sync all' option.

@Gavinski said:

Did u look at the 'styles' feature? Paul also gives some examples of this in his preview vid. I am fairly sure it will let you do this

Styles applies play, and other settings to a selected chord as far as I can see - it doesn't allow you to assign multiple play modes (strum, open chord, arp) to a single chord, so that has to be achieved via multiple instances, which is a bit clunky.

@Gavinski said:
    Am I missing something or does this actually have no undo / redo function, which is actually pretty indispensable in something like the song sequencer, imo.

Yeah I've needed an undo button a few times, haven't found one :(

I do like the custom arp feature that follows a chord progression - I'll use that, but the app hasn't solved my Scaler 2 requirements like I thought it would. Hopefully an update will cover the missing features.

• Anyone found a fast way to delete selected chords from an autogenerated sequence? Ideally I just want to long press on the offending chord and hit a delete…

• Anyone want to try to duplicate these apparent bugs? (I'm using AUM)

Manual says 'Tap and hold on one chord, then tap and hold on a 2nd to get a prompt to exchange them' - this does not seem to be working

'Go Back' button in the manual is unresponsive

Adding 'empty' to a slot in song mode, then long pressing the number above it crashes the app

• @Gavinski said:
    Anyone want to try to duplicate these apparent bugs? (I'm using AUM)

Manual says 'Tap and hold on one chord, then tap and hold on a 2nd to get a prompt to exchange them' - this does not seem to be working

Adding 'empty' to a slot in song mode, then long pressing the number above it crashes the app

I get the exchange prompt, and it works ok when accepted

‘Go Back’ button does nothing

Not sure what you mean about that last one

• Yes it definitely needs an undo button.

• @Kewe_Esse said:

@Gavinski said:

Thanks - are u doing that on the pad toolbox or song mode? For me works in neither

Add an empty slot in song mode by pressing the 'empty' button in the 'add pattern' section. Then find the empty slot in song sequencer and long press on the number above the slot

@Spud said:
    Yes it definitely needs an undo button.

Very much so. It also needs decimal note lengths like 1.5, 1.75 etc rather than just 1,2,3 etc....

• @Gavinski said:

Song mode is very buggy it’s crashed several times, when replacing and deleting or even changing style, but I’m running stand-alone to external hardware here.

• @knewspeak said:

Song mode is very buggy it’s crashed several times, when replacing and deleting or even changing style, but I’m running stand-alone to external hardware here.

I've had a few crashes editing song mode when it's hosted in AUM as well.

• @Gavinski said:

@Kewe_Esse said:

@Gavinski said:

Thanks - are u doing that on the pad toolbox or song mode? For me works in neither

Add an empty slot in song mode by pressing the 'empty' button in the 'add pattern' section. Then find the empty slot in song sequencer and long press on the number above the slot

@Spud said:
    Yes it definitely needs an undo button.

Very much so. It also needs decimal note lengths like 1.5, 1.75 etc rather than just 1,2,3 etc....

Yup crashes the app as you describe.

Also, I can no longer toggle to “Block Chords” from the buttons in the lower section, only Arpeggiator and Strummer are available

• Oh right, in pad toolbox, to your 1st Q

• @monz0id said:

@knewspeak said:

I've had a few crashes editing song mode when it's hosted in AUM as well.

Until it’s fixed it’s probably a good idea to save the preset state before opening song mode.

• @Kewe_Esse said:
    Oh right, in pad toolbox, to your 1st Q

OK that doesn't work for me huh

• Would others feel this would benefit from
    A) ability to drag chords around in chord toolbox
    B) preview button added to song mode pop-up?

• @Gavinski said:
    Would others feel this would benefit from

Absolutely, both would be an improvement, especially preview in song mode

• @Gavinski said:

Yup for sure

• @knewspeak said:

Until it’s fixed it’s probably a good idea to save the preset state before opening song mode.

Definitely.

@Gavinski said:

Yep, plus multiple play options per chord, and just a simple tap to select a chord - none of this 'long hold' stuff.

• @Jer4 said:

@Gavinski said:

@Kewe_Esse said:

@Gavinski said:

Yup for sure

It often takes enough people to ask before devs feel the impetus to add a feature, so get in there

@monz0id said:

@knewspeak said:

Definitely.

@Gavinski said:

Yep, plus multiple play options per chord, and just a simple tap to select a chord - none of this 'long hold' stuff.

Absolutely

• @Gavinski said:

@Jer4 said:

@Gavinski said:

@Kewe_Esse said:

@Gavinski said:

Yup for sure

It often takes enough people to ask before devs feel the impetus to add a feature, so get in there

@monz0id said:

@knewspeak said:

Definitely.

@Gavinski said:

Absolutely

Yes and definitely undo - redo.

• I agree with the last bunch of comments for improvements
    I feel the circle of 5ths is nice to see, but there is no interaction, nothing happens when I touch it, so really it could be made smaller and therefore have room for more buttons like ‘undo’ etc

If I am wrong about circle interaction, someone please correct me as I haven’t spent a long period of time on this app, finally tonight on night shift should get a big chunk of time and use the iPad version, as only played with iPhone version so far

• @Gavinski said:

@Kewe_Esse said:
    Oh right, in pad toolbox, to your 1st Q

OK that doesn't work for me huh

Weird… just tried on iphone version so far, works fine in toolbox, no go in song mode

• @Gdub said:
    I agree with the last bunch of comments for improvements
    I feel the circle of 5ths is nice to see, but there is no interaction, nothing happens when I touch it, so really it could be made smaller and therefore have room for more buttons like ‘undo’ etc

If I am wrong about circle interaction, someone please correct me as I haven’t spent a long period of time on this app, finally tonight on night shift should get a big chunk of time and use the iPad version, as only played with iPhone version so far

Circle of fifths is visual only so yes, could be smaller to make room for undo / redo etc

Spoke to Paul. He's taken the ideas on board. Some issues and responses -

About swapping pads in toolbox - So you need to TAP one pad, then while the initial finger is still pressed TAP and HOLD on the second pad.

About 'Go Back' button in the manual being unresponsive -

This button is only active after visiting an external embedded hyperlink that is viewed within the same window.

About Could we have the ability to drag things around in the song mode? -

I’m not sure as we swipe to scroll, TAP and HOLD to select in the column header to change selection, TAP and HOLD in the body of the columns to copy/paste. Maybe TAP, HOLD and DRAG in the header would work, but to be honest I plan a revamp of song mode.

• Will look into the decimals for beats too 👍 - that's really key to me

• @Gavinski said:
    Will look into the decimals for beats too 👍 - that's really key to me

Hi Gavinski, it has been kind of hectic these last 6 months but everything is ok. Have become more a lurker than an active member. Take care

• edited July 2022

@Gavinski said:
    I’m not sure as we swipe to scroll, TAP and HOLD to select in the column header to change selection, TAP and HOLD in the body of the columns to copy/paste. Maybe TAP, HOLD and DRAG in the header would work, but to be honest I plan a revamp of song mode.

Any idea why we have to tap & hold to select a chord, and not just tap once? That would then leave tap & hold available for dragging/re-ordering.

@Gavinski said:

These are the two most important missing functions for me - single tapping a chord to select, play and hear/preview it (in Song pop-up, and in the top section), and the ability to assign multiple play modes per chord. Otherwise it's just a beefed-up strum or arp sequencer.

• @sambo said:
    @sch - purchase on ipad store - then can find on Mac App Store - under iphone and ipad apps. Not sure if an M1 mac is required.

Wow, still no joy. I have both an M1 iPad Pro and the M1 MacBook Air, but I do not see it anywhere in the Mac App Store including the iPhone and iPad sections. Searching for both "4Pockets" and "Progressions" doesn't yield anything.

• @sch said:

@sambo said:
    @sch - purchase on ipad store - then can find on Mac App Store - under iphone and ipad apps. Not sure if an M1 mac is required.

Wow, still no joy. I have both an M1 iPad Pro and the M1 MacBook Air, but I do not see it anywhere in the Mac App Store including the iPhone and iPad sections. Searching for both "4Pockets" and "Progressions" doesn't yield anything.

If you’re logged into your account the same as iOS device you can then click on your account on the AppStore bottom left, then look at the iPad apps for your purchase’s it should be there.

• @monz0id said:

@Gavinski said:

Any idea why we have to tap & hold to select a chord, and not just tap once? That would then leave tap & hold available for dragging/re-ordering.

Paul said:

The long press is to allow both scrolling without accidentally changing the selected position. I will see if there is a way to speed this up.

• Another thing I kind of find myself wanting here is something similar to Scaler 2s white key right hand playing functionality. Because I'm creating some lovely progressions but if they are complicated I find them difficult to play over as I am far from a great keyboardist and the whole point of this app is to escape traditional scales, so something like Atom2 white keys scale filtering is not really a solution. Any suggestions? I'd love to have the ear and fingers of a Linear Lineman to be able to jam along to the truly interesting progressions this app can come up with