Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can I make Akai MPD-218 Midi Pad Controller wireless?

Hey guys, I have done some research on this but not sure about my device since this 218 uses a sort of connector which is normally used with Printers and not USB so might there be any way to make it wireless please?

I just need to connect and control Reaper fx plugins from about a 20' distance and of course, would want as little latency as would be possible.

Comments

• That is a usb connector. (Usb b).

If whatever machine you are running reaper on can receive Bluetooth midi then you could plug your mpd218 into a ud-bt01
    Which needs separate power (phone charger or something like that)

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/product.php?product_id=SUDBT01&source=froogle&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt5mwwqn7-AIVCNPtCh1AXgxGEAQYGyABEgKjuvD_BwE

• Thanks. Well, I run a windows 10 regular pc [Hp 8200 Elite SFF]:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Elite-8200-SFF-Desktop/dp/B01GU5SMUI

Any idea about latency with this device linked to please?

• According to Ask

MIDI over Bluetooth has the potential for exceptionally low latency. It’s fast and reliable, and the low data rate of MIDI allows it to communicate back and forth with your device in the sub-20 ms range.

https://ask.audio/articles/review-yamaha-ud-bt01-and-md-bt01-bluetooth-to-midi-interfaces

• I am using the CME Widi uhost for usb-to-bluetooth-midi. Works very well, also with mpe-data (Artiphon Intrument 1) and with no latency I would notice. I do recommend this.

• Thx. the Yamaha works only with iOS and I have just been told and since the Akai has a usb b connector, would the CME work with windows 10 and the USB B please?

• @mystic said:
    Thx. the Yamaha works only with iOS and I have just been told and since the Akai has a usb b connector, would the CME work with windows 10 and the USB B please?

I believe you're mistaken about the Yamaha only working with iOS. There is a Yamaha app that can connect to the Bluetooth MIDI. But other apps, like AUM and Audiobus, can connect directly to BT MIDI, without needing the Yam app. If you Win 10 program can connect to BT MIDI, the Yam gear should work with it.

• edited July 2022

I'm curious about the proposed solutions: would any of them be able to not only send MIDI data over bluetooth, but also provide power to the MPD device? If not, what would be necessary to make it truly wireless (data and power)?

Edit: more specifically, can the WIDI Uhost provide power to the connected USB device?
    Edit 2: it looks like it can, according to what I found in the product's Amazon page, where it's referred to as "smart power splitting".

• edited July 2022

@mystic said:
    Hey guys, I have done some research on this but not sure about my device since this 218 uses a sort of connector which is normally used with Printers and not USB so might there be any way to make it wireless please?

I just need to connect and control Reaper fx plugins from about a 20' distance and of course, would want as little latency as would be possible.

Hi,
    you can use your iphone or android phone to enable midi Bluetooth (the connection depends on what device you have)
    then depending on the desktop OS you use Reaper , you can receive midi messages via Bluetooth (the method depends on the OS)
    I read you are on Win10 , so use this app
    https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/midiberry/9N39720H2M05
    but you will also need a virtual midi port to send from midiberry to this port
    https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
    or
    https://nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html

Reaper will read the virtual midi port you used on midiberry app

• IMO latency and reliability is best using WIDI device to device or iOS, next the Mac, sadly last place Win10, this has been my experience.

• I already have the Akai controller guys and need it to work wireless with my win10 music pc so if this cannot work for whatever reason[s] then I will need to keep it wired.

• CME WIDI Compatibility list for common devices. May come in handy for some not list is not official just what people have tried.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L6D2lUkcX0NEHpzp0vw5aAtAIsHANeUOCCH_fXtwyKI/edit?usp=sharing

• I was just told on CME Forum, I think its overkill having to due all of these different physical devices:

"On Windows, your music software needs to work with Bluetooth MIDI.
    Like Cubase 12 or Bandlab.
    Another option is to pair it via Korg’s BLE MIDI driver.
    The best solution to bypass all limitations of Windows is to add WIDI Bud Pro on the PC side and pair it with your WIDI Uhost.
    By the way, I assume your Akai only operates as a USB client device.
    You will need external power into your Uhost and use USB OTG cables between your Uhost and Akai."

I had thought there would be an easier simple way to make the Akai wireless.

• @mystic said:
    I was just told on CME Forum, I think its overkill having to due all of these different physical devices:

"On Windows, your music software needs to work with Bluetooth MIDI.
    Like Cubase 12 or Bandlab.
    Another option is to pair it via Korg’s BLE MIDI driver.
    The best solution to bypass all limitations of Windows is to add WIDI Bud Pro on the PC side and pair it with your WIDI Uhost.
    By the way, I assume your Akai only operates as a USB client device.
    You will need external power into your Uhost and use USB OTG cables between your Uhost and Akai."

I had thought there would be an easier simple way to make the Akai wireless.

So , you don't have a smartphone ?

• @Grandbear The UD-BT01 can provide power too, it has one USB connector to connect to a power source and a second USB port to connect to the USB device.

• @rs2000 Now I understand, I only saw a picture of the MD-BT01 and didn't notice they had a separate USB product, thank you!

• @mystic said:
    Yes

With "yes" you mean you don't have smartphone ? If so do you have an ipad ?

• I have an iPhone XR. I think this is all way too much guys having to use an app on phone and another on pc then 2 devices [WIDI Bud Pro and UHost] and also OTG cables so I better stop right here. I appreciate you guys willingness to help but if this is what it will take then I might as well just use the 25' cable I have.

• Something simple like this is what I would have liked but this is not sold in the US:

https://www.img-stageline.com/fly-16

• @mystic said:
    I have an iPhone XR. I think this is all way too much guys having to use an app on phone and another on pc then 2 devices [WIDI Bud Pro and UHost] and also OTG cables so I better stop right here. I appreciate you guys willingness to help but if this is what it will take then I might as well just use the 25' cable I have.

if you use the iphone you'll need only the apps no hardware needed
    (unless the PC doesn't have bluetooth 4 or you don't have a CCK to connect the mpd to the iphone )
    see my first post on this thread

For non time critical usage (20-100+ ms) you can also use wifi

@mystic said:
    Something simple like this is what I would have liked but this is not sold in the US:

https://www.img-stageline.com/fly-16

that's for audio only :)

• edited July 2022

Wait, I am totally lost now, please help me understand and clarify on what you've written regarding the iPhone.

I am not clear on the iPhone's role in this, is the iPhone used with the App only to become a wireless bridge between the Akai and Reaper so no need to use the Akai's USB cable?

• @mystic said:
    Wait, I am totally lost now, please help me understand and clarify on what you've written regarding the iPhone.

I am not clear on the iPhone's role in this, is the iPhone used with the App only to become a wireless bridge between the Akai and Reaper so no need to use the Akai's USB cable?

You certainly have to use the usb cable to connect the iphone with the mpd 218 . I saw the XR has lighting port so it's not possible unless you already have apple's lighting to usb adapter

• To further clarify, the iPhone will always need to be physically connected to the Akai when using Reaper but the Akai will not need to be physically connected to my win10 pc, is this right please? If yes, how will the Akai be powered if it's USB port will be connected to the iPhone?

• @mystic said:
    To further clarify, the iPhone will always need to be physically connected to the Akai when using Reaper but the Akai will not need to be physically connected to my win10 pc, is this right please?

Yes :)

@mystic said:
    If yes, how will the Akai be powered if it's USB port will be connected to the iPhone?

The iPhone will power the MPD , from the manual:

You can use MPD218 with a MIDI-controllable iOS app. To do this:
    1. Press and hold the Note Repeat button.
    2. Connect your iOS device (powered on) to MPD218’s USB port using an Apple iPad
    Camera Connection Kit (sold separately).
    3. After MPD218 powers on, release the Note Repeat button.

Do you have a lighting to usb cable ?

• I don't know about the specific adapter , many suggest using Apple's accessory , but before buying it I suggest testing the Bluetooth midi connection to Win10 PC (using midiberry)
    You can try an app on your iphone that can send midi (I don't know which apps you have) , some apps can send directly to BT others can send to this free app
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midimittr/id925495245
    which will send BT midi

On windows there are million reasons for something not to work and it's hard to troubleshoot , so try the connection first

• Why not save yourself the hassle and buy an akai lpd8 wireless. The outcome with your current akai is that it will always need to be tethered to something for power and midi connection.

• @jaijai said:
    Why not save yourself the hassle and buy an akai lpd8 wireless. The outcome with your current akai is that it will always need to be tethered to something for power and midi connection.

But does it work with Windows over BT ?

• I have installed both Apps, midimitrr on the phone and Midiberry on the win10 machine. Is there any step by step tutorial you might be able to link me to please for my next steps?

@jaijai
    I had looked at that akai unit but the "top critical review" on Amazon prevented me from trying it:

https://www.amazon.com/Akai-Professional-LPD8-Wireless-Controller/product-reviews/B01J669NWY

• @Korakios said:

@jaijai said:
    Why not save yourself the hassle and buy an akai lpd8 wireless. The outcome with your current akai is that it will always need to be tethered to something for power and midi connection.

But does it work with Windows over BT ?

I had high hopes before using Midiberry but BT MIDI under Win 10 or 11 still seems to be a matter of luck. I haven't found stable config after years, even the rather expensive CME WIDI Bud only seems to work with a few devices when using the Windows pairing software.