Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioShare: iPad to phone file transfer

Hi friends. I’ve never used my phone for music making. So please be gentle.
If I purchase Audioshare phone version can I transfer my files from the iPad to my phone?
Same question applies to AUM, Loopy etc.
Thanks in advance.
I appreciate you all.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2022

As with many iOS questions, especially those having to do with files, that's a more complicated question than you might expect.

• There's no file sync between different devices with Audioshare.
    • You can transfer files in several ways between devices. Audioshare's built-in way is an FTP server that you start on one device, then connect to from a web browser on another device. This is no longer the easiest way.
    • AirDrop is the simplest way to transfer files between iOS devices.
    • Storing your files in folders in iCloud can be more efficient than AudioShare. There they will be automatically synced between devices and will be available to them all, as long as you have an Internet connection, but sometimes not if you don't.
    • You should definitely try to get familiar with the Apple Files app, with iCloud, and with something called the "share sheet" which is generally accessed by long-pressing a file name to bring up a dialog box with everything that you can do with a file.
    • AudioShare was an answer to the lack of file management in earlier iOS versions. Its utility is made redundant in some ways in the light of newer capabilities. It's still a useful utility in some ways though.

I could go on. There are many other aspects to all this. Sorry, I'm sure your head is already spinning, so ...

If I were starting out with today's OS versions I would store my files in iCloud, use airdrop in the cases where I just want to quickly pass off a file to another device, but still keep AudioShare around for integration with AUM and a few other things I like it for. I would no longer think of AudioShare as my central music file repository. It was a ground-breaking godsend when it came out, but it's file management abilities have been eclipsed by later OS features.

• If you are on the same local network (both devices connected to your home Wi-Fi network, for example), AudioShare has a built in WiFi transfer. You can use it to transfer between devices.

Apple iOS has built in Air Drop, which is able to transfer files between devices as well.

• @wim. Of course I’ve archived everything in AudioShare. Never been able to get next to the files app for reason. Lazy probably.
    Hours of sampling and trimming.
    Importing songs as a hub to send elsewhere. So, thank you. Very helpful!
    I’d hoped you would chime in.
    I just want to park completed songs in AudioShare and share with musician friends when we’re hanging.
    @CracklePot. Sounds ideal. How do I access Wi-Fi transfer?

• When you activate it by flipping that switch, you get an IP address for your device. On the other device, you open Safari and enter the IP address to bring up a web view of the AudioShare files on the first device. In the Safari page you can upload and download to the other device running the AudioShare Wi-Fi drive.

• Wouldn’t Airdrop work just needs Bluetooth connection on both.

• @wim just saw you mentioned it.

Airdrop- hit the share icon from anything click on airdrop, should be one of first icons shown, then select other device, and boom you good.

• @Ben said:
    @wim. Of course I’ve archived everything in AudioShare. Never been able to get next to the files app for reason. Lazy probably.
    Hours of sampling and trimming.
    Importing songs as a hub to send elsewhere. So, thank you. Very helpful!
    I’d hoped you would chime in.
    I just want to park completed songs in AudioShare and share with musician friends when we’re hanging.

if they're on Apple devices, AirDrop is easier. If not then the AudioShare wifi transfer will work with just about anything.

• One problem with airdrop is .aum projekts. When drop them to another device all midi parameters are on ch01 cc00 and all mapped parameters are gone. It stinks, man, it's not fun to lose.

• ZIP your files on the iPad and transfer via AirDrop to the iPhone. Then you select AudioShare as target. There you can UNZIP your ex-iPad files.
    I use this very often.

• Perfect! I knew you all would square me away.
    Grateful for all your answers.

• edited July 2022

I still use AudioShare occasionally but I feel like it belongs to the pre Files App era where everything was so much more fragmented. Now I’d use air drop for fast and just have a shared folder in the iCloud for a slightly slower sync.

• I 'thing' I wish was possible on iOS/iPadOS was to simply use a cable between the devices and browse the content on the other.
    For pictures this works quite ok with an easy way to 'import' from the other device using the Photos.app.

Now think about this...
    ...allow 'cable connected' iOS/iPadOS devices (USB-C to/from/to USB-C and from Lightning to USB-C) and to access all files visible to the Files.app from the 'other' device naturally after an 'approved' connection, just like the Photos.app...

Yeah maybe we'll get this with iOS/iPadOS17 or something :sunglasses:

• useful open-source app - works over Wi-Fi + Mobile Hotspot - sharik