Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any thoughts on headphone correction, mainly TB Morphit?

I started using TB Morphit a while ago to try to get a more ”generic and neutral” output suitable for different speaker setups and so far I like what I hear. I could stop there and just go ”it’s a wrap and I’m happy”.

But, I’m curious on what other people’s take on headphone correction is, TB Morphit specifically but also in general. Do or don’t?

/DMfan🇸🇪

Comments

• I've only used Morphit and I like it. My mixes transfer decently to my speakers, but I'm also not playing them on dance floors over sound systems.

I just slap it on the master and mix, either before or after composition.

• edited July 2022

I like morphit on one set of headphones, but the EQ curve on another is a bit extreme in one area. I'd love some control over the individual points.

Another option is to use AUM and the inbuilt parametric EQ with some of the freely available correction curves https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

But in general, EQ on headphones is a big yes - huge improvements can be had.

• I was also sceptical but Morphit has helped my mixes a lot. I use it with Beyerdynamics DT 1990 Pros.

This led me to explore options on desktop, where I now use dSoniq RealPhones...this is a bit more advanced than Morphit and also includes a bit of spatial correction of the listening field. Highly recommended

• Knowing the perceived results with which models of headphone could be helpful?

• Does TB Morphit only work for flattening the eq curve of your headphones? Or does it also add simulated crosstalk between the left & right signal so as to emulate actually sitting in front of speakers?

• edited July 2022

If anyone wants to try this before buying, you can use it in demo mode but fully featured on desktop as a VST in a DAW of your choice.

• @attakk said:
    Does TB Morphit only work for flattening the eq curve of your headphones? Or does it also add simulated crosstalk between the left & right signal so as to emulate actually sitting in front of speakers?

EQ curve only, there is no crosstalk option.

• @richardyot said:

@attakk said:
    Does TB Morphit only work for flattening the eq curve of your headphones? Or does it also add simulated crosstalk between the left & right signal so as to emulate actually sitting in front of speakers?

EQ curve only, there is no crosstalk option.

Thanks 🙏

• @Spud said:
    I like morphit on one set of headphones, but the EQ curve on another is a bit extreme in one area. I'd love some control over the individual points.

Another option is to use AUM and the inbuilt parametric EQ with some of the freely available correction curves https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

What a great resource - thank you so much!

• I have Morphit but I don’t use it. Instead, I embrace the fact that all my headphones and speakers sound different and I try to make my mixes sound good on all of them.

Bringing them all into one similar sound defeats the purpose of having them, in my opinion.

Controversial?

• @qryss said:
    I have Morphit but I don’t use it. Instead, I embrace the fact that all my headphones and speakers sound different and I try to make my mixes sound good on all of them.

Bringing them all into one similar sound defeats the purpose of having them, in my opinion.

Controversial?

You should aim to do most of your monitoring on as neutral a source as possible, and then check on other systems. The reason being that almost any uncorrected headphone or speaker will have an uneven frequency response that could trick you into making poor decisions due to shortcomings in your monitoring.

So for example if you are EQing bass frequencies but your monitoring (either speakers or headphones) have exaggerated bass response, you can't trust what you're hearing, and the result is likely to be lacking in bass since you were accounting for the boosted bass you heard when making the adjustments.

The more neutral your monitoring, the more easily your mixes will translate onto other systems since you are not dealing with issues specific to your setup. You should still of course then check the mix on as many other systems as possible, especially on crappy speakers, to make sure that they still translate.

• @Spud said:

2 things and maybe I don’t understand this that well…. If you go into custom mode on Morphit you can adjust the points? Is that what you want?

Also that wiki….. which EQ curve or guidelines would you apply or use as reference in AUM or other?

Thx

• @richardyot said:

@qryss said:
    I have Morphit but I don’t use it. Instead, I embrace the fact that all my headphones and speakers sound different and I try to make my mixes sound good on all of them.

Controversial?

You should aim to do most of your monitoring on as neutral a source as possible, and then check on other systems. The reason being that almost any uncorrected headphone or speaker will have an uneven frequency response that could trick you into making poor decisions due to shortcomings in your monitoring.

So for example if you are EQing bass frequencies but your monitoring (either speakers or headphones) have exaggerated bass response, you can't trust what you're hearing, and the result is likely to be lacking in bass since you were accounting for the boosted bass you heard when making the adjustments.

The more neutral your monitoring, the more easily your mixes will translate onto other systems since you are not dealing with issues specific to your setup. You should still of course then check the mix on as many other systems as possible, especially on crappy speakers, to make sure that they still translate.

Thanks for that, Richard. I do get it but I prefer to know where my different headphones and speakers are closer to neutral and where they aren’t and work with that. Listening on a pair that are bass light, for example, means I’m focusing on a different part of the spectrum and it might reveal things a neutral sound would obscure. Maybe I should try the neutral approach next time I do a mix and see if it makes a difference but I’m actually quite happy with the mixes I do and I spend a very long time on them. Days, sometimes. I’m quite a perfectionist when it comes to mixing.

• @Spud said:

Wow thanks for sharing that link.

• @onerez said:

@Spud said:

2 things and maybe I don’t understand this that well…. If you go into custom mode on Morphit you can adjust the points? Is that what you want?

In custom mode you can add a few EQ points of your own, but you can't adjust the individual preset correction points that are applied.

Also that wiki….. which EQ curve or guidelines would you apply or use as reference in AUM or other?

Thx

Each of the headphone model pages has a suggested 10 point parametric EQ set down the bottom that you can copy manually to individual parametric EQ instances in an AUM channel.

• Whats the concept of morphit?

Theres been times when I switch on/off and audio is similar.

Making a tune but havent really worked out levels etc anyway

but with Superlux hd681.

They are said to not be that bassey.

Morphit adds bass.

Why would it add bass if headphones arnt bassey. Surely it would mean you add even less bass to song because you thought it enough because of morphit?

Unless Im miss understanding the concept of eq correction?

• But theres the 70% setting. I went through posts and I replied to a comment in 2019. That I would set to 70%.

I guess maybe you dont just load the hd681 profile and that be it?

• @sigma79 said:
    Why would it add bass if headphones arnt bassey. Surely it would mean you add even less bass to song because you thought it enough because of morphit?

If your headphones are lacking in bass the risk is that you would add too much bass to your mixes because your headphones are not accurately monitoring the low end - a mix that sounds balanced on headphones that lack bass will obviously sound bass-heavy on more accurate cans.

So Morphit gives your headphones a more accurate sound profile, which should lead to more accurate mixing.

• @richardyot said:

@sigma79 said:

If your headphones are lacking in bass the risk is that you would add too much bass to your mixes because your headphones are not accurately monitoring the low end - a mix that sounds balanced on headphones that lack bass will obviously sound bass-heavy on more accurate cans.

So Morphit gives your headphones a more accurate sound profile, which should lead to more accurate mixing.

Cool. Cheers rich. I wernt really adjusting sound on this song anyway to be best. Its just other peoples songs Id listen to via youtube would be bassier. Does it mean these pro songs might be too bassey on bass heavy cans?

Were it you from my superlux thread that bought a different superlux headphone after buying hd681?

• One of the best headphones, the Neumann NDH30, is unfortunately still not supported

• edited March 2023

@sigma79 said:

@richardyot said:

@sigma79 said:

Cool. Cheers rich. I wernt really adjusting sound on this song anyway to be best. Its just other peoples songs Id listen to via youtube would be bassier. Does it mean these pro songs might be too bassey on bass heavy cans?

Were it you from my superlux thread that bought a different superlux headphone after buying hd681?

It's not only the bass range but also the whole frequency response that would be "flattened" by using headphones correction. The better your headphones are (in terms of frequency response), the less difference you'll hear between uncorrected and corrected sound.
    I've done it with my Beyer DT770 and I think it's worth it. I'd describe the sound as more transparent after the EQing.

@Iskander said:
    One of the best headphones, the Neumann NDH30, is unfortunately still not supported

Well then I guess they're not in desperate need of any correction ;)

• @rs2000 said:

@sigma79 said:

@richardyot said:

@sigma79 said:

It's not only the bass range but also the whole frequency response that would be "flattened" by using headphones correction. The better your headphones are (in terms of frequency response), the less difference you'll hear between uncorrected and corrected sound.
    I've done it with my Beyer DT770 and I think it's worth it. I'd describe the sound as more transparent after the EQing.

@Iskander said:
    One of the best headphones, the Neumann NDH30, is unfortunately still not supported

Well then I guess they're not in desperate need of any correction ;)

Cheers rs.

• edited March 2023

BTW, I also tried morphit on desktop. It‘s in a demo mode without registration but demo means that it fully works. You can not store presets then.

• This review suggests the HD681 doesn't need any more bass to be considered neutral, but actually needs a little less bass https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd681/

Which target curve are you using?> @sigma79 said:

Whats the concept of morphit?

but with Superlux hd681.

Morphit adds bass.

The concept is that if you use the neutral curve you will end up with neutral sounding headphones that allow for more accurate monitoring and mixing. You can also simulate other headphones and curves to hear how your mix might sound on other equipment.

This review suggests the HD681 doesn't need any more bass to be considered neutral, but actually needs a little less bass https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd681/

Which target curve are you using?

• @Spud said:
    This review suggests the HD681 doesn't need any more bass to be considered neutral, but actually needs a little less bass https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd681/

but with Superlux hd681.

Morphit adds bass.

The concept is that if you use the neutral curve you will end up with neutral sounding headphones that allow for more accurate monitoring and mixing. You can also simulate other headphones and curves to hear how your mix might sound on other equipment.

Not sure.

Just choose the superlux 681. Correct target curve.

70 %

Morphit adds more bass.

How bassey is this?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/54659/i-need-an-auv3-drum-machine-made#latest

Its not a polished tune but there is saturn 2 on drums and theres sub bass.

• @sigma79 said:

@Spud said:

but with Superlux hd681.

Morphit adds bass.

Not sure.

Just choose the superlux 681. Correct target curve.

70 %

Morphit adds more bass.

How bassey is this?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/54659/i-need-an-auv3-drum-machine-made#latest

Its not a polished tune but there is saturn 2 on drums and theres sub bass.

Sounds in the ballpark to me on HD560s. Best strategy when you are unsure of your monitoring is to reference other professionally mastered tracks in the genre.

• I tried out Morphit today—on the Mac, not the iPad—and it seems to make little to no difference. The volume stays exactly the same when switching it in and out, and I can't tell the difference.

I'm using it with Sony 7506 and HiFiMan Sundaras.

I also tried with AutoEQ, which gives you EQ curves to use with your existing apps. I used it with Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource, and it makes a much bigger difference. It also has EQ curves for Koss Ports Pros, which is cool. It does cut the volume quite a bit, but that's not really a problem.

Am I doing something wrong with Morphit?

• Is your Processing mode set to Correct ?

Is the Morph value at 100% ?

Listen for those frequency that are the most Eqed. 250hz, 4khz, 10khz, 15khz.

Maybe ask your dog if the 15k and above is increased.

• @ecou said:

Is your Processing mode set to Correct ?

Yes

Yes

Or my teenaged neighbors!

• @mistercharlie said:

@ecou said:

Is your Processing mode set to Correct ?

Yes

Yes

Or my teenaged neighbors!

Stupid question but you put Morphit as the last effect on your master bus ?