Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

West Oscillator?

What is a "west oscillator"? It sounds really really good. I have so many iOS synth, can't believe I cannot reproduce that; Drambo?

Comments

• I think it has to do with West Coast or Buchla-style wavefolding synthesis. Basically, when the amplitude of the waveform reaches the threshold, it inverts itself rather than clipping, resulting in more harmonics being added. Using a wavefolding technique on a sine, square, or triangle wave creates timbres similar to those produced by FM.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    What is a "west oscillator"? It sounds really really good. I have so many iOS synth, can't believe I cannot reproduce that; Drambo?

"west coast" style oscillators probably refers to Buchla-style oscillators (that Buchla and similar synths call "complex oscillators" which usually has a main oscillator and a modulation oscillator that is used to provide amplitude or frequency modulation. Buchla's also have a timbre control which applies wavefolding to the main oscillator. Wavefolding has the biggest impact on oscillators with few harmonics (like sine waves and triangle waves)

• @frosttrance_7 said:
    I think it has to do with West Coast or Buchla-style wavefolding synthesis. Basically, when the amplitude of the waveform reaches the threshold, it inverts itself rather than clipping, resulting in more harmonics being added. Using a wavefolding technique on a sine, square, or triangle wave creates timbres similar to those produced by FM.

Can I use wavefolding technique in Drambo? Not sure where to start. Thanks for the info BTW.

• Place a Shaper module after any synth modules, then select Fold soft or Fold hard (hard for the screenshot) for the distortion type. Adjust the amount of folding. You can follow with an oscilloscope to see what's happening.

Or, even better, use the wavetable oscillator, with the wave effect set to fold. You'll be able to instantaneously see a graphical representation of the effect on the waveform.

• That said ...
    The OP screenshot doesn't look like classic wave folding at all. Wave folding is simply folding the top part of the wave downward. Just doing that wouldn't produce the shape you're seeing there unless the original wave had a sharp peak where the valley is now.

I don't think we're looking at wave folding there.

• edited July 2022

@Montreal_Music said:

@frosttrance_7 said:
    I think it has to do with West Coast or Buchla-style wavefolding synthesis. Basically, when the amplitude of the waveform reaches the threshold, it inverts itself rather than clipping, resulting in more harmonics being added. Using a wavefolding technique on a sine, square, or triangle wave creates timbres similar to those produced by FM.

Can I use wavefolding technique in Drambo? Not sure where to start. Thanks for the info BTW.

The easiest start is to use the Wavetable oscillator with its simple sine waveform then add Wave Effects (found under Processor => Spectrum) to it. The magic button to add them is here:

You'll have an endless number of wave effects and knob positions to play with to give you a wide sonic palette, without even touching the oscillator's sine waveform.

You can also draw any shape by hand if you feed a sawtooth oscillator into the Graphic Shaper. Make sure to disable "Anti aliasing" in the oscillator's header menu to get a mathematically clean sawtooth output.

• In that picture, the wavefolding level is set almost at 0. I'd look at the app's docs to see what the shape control does and what modifier does. Complex oscillators are not all about waveshaping -- they are also about amplitude and frequency modulation. In the patch shown, it looks like the amplitude or frequency modulation and a suboscillator are the main things in play.

• And yet another way...

• The manual is here

The OSCILLATOR’s WEST mode is a wave shaping oscillator that morphs between three special waveforms and applies additional wave folding. This mode offers abrasive timbres and is useful for low bass sounds with a buzzy quality.
    WEST mode has two specific controls in the Main area and one additional parameter in the Display area:

• SHAPE: Morphs between three waveforms: sine, spike, and sawtooth.
    • FOLD: Introduces additional wave shaping by folding the waveform back into itself, creating strong harmonics that add an abrasive quality to the sound.
    • RESET: Enables oscillator reset. When enabled, the oscillator starts at the beginning of its cycle for every new note event. When disabled, the oscillator continues its cycle independ- ently from note events. Oscillator reset can be used to avoid clicks at the beginning of note events when using fast settings for the envelope’s attack phase (ATT).

From this, it looks like it is regular wavefolding, with additional weirdness provided by that "spike" waveform in between sine and sawtooth.

• Wavefolding makes everything better.

• @auxmux said:
    Wavefolding makes everything better.

@Daveypoo What would they call it on the south coast?
    Calzone?

• And this even takes it into new realms. So impressed with this synth and it's "chaos generated" waveforms:

• You guys are all making interested in Drambonianism 🥺😁

@gkillmaster I really love Generate!

• @rs2000 said:
    And yet another way...

I'm late, but thanks! The more I play with Drambo, the more I love this app.

• edited May 2023

@rs2000 said:
    And yet another way...

As always @ra2000 to the rescue. I’ve been wondering how to do that myself

• And btw for that west-coast sound, you can’t go wrong with Bram Bos’ apps. Ripplemaker for starters but now Hilda which is a wonderful synth with a mind of her own

• edited May 2023

you can have lot of wavefolding/waveshaping fun also in mirack.. there is plethora of various waveshaping/folding module#, here just one simple example.. you can go pretty wild there

• Very cool @dendy, totally up my alley! I really should spend more time with miRack. It has such incredible modules

• @auxmux said:
    Wavefolding makes everything better.

Agreed. One of my favorite effects.

• Also don’t forget branches!!

• @Synthi said:
    Also don’t forget branches!!

A lot of options for $4. It looks like Audulus.

• edited May 2023

miRack is giga powerful.. people are sometimes a bit afraid of it - cause what they usually imagine when it comes to eurorack are big complex patches with trillions of cables sequenced internally by weird sequencers generating weird bleeps and bloops :-)))

That is of course one many ways how to use it. But you can also use it as library of simple instruments and effects - literally super simple patches like this one, sequenced from your favourite DAW .. few cables, few modules - done. Nothing complicated.

sometimes i use just single module as FX, just routed audio in into module and from module back to audio out - that’s it. There is plethora fantasric sounding modules inside miRack which have no competition on iOS - like this Valley from Interzone, really great emulation of Roland SH101

• @dendy said:
    miRack is giga powerful.. people are sometimes a bit afraid of it - cause what they usually imagine when it comes to eurorack are big complex patches with trillions of cables sequenced internally by weird sequencers generating weird bleeps and bloops :-)))

That is of course one many ways how to use it. But you can also use it as library of simple instruments and effects - literally super simple patches like this one, sequenced from your favourite DAW .. few cables, few modules - done. Nothing complicated.

sometimes i use just single module as FX, just routed audio in into module and from module back to audio out - that’s it. There is plethora fantasric sounding modules inside miRack which have no competition on iOS - like this Valley from Interzone, really great emulation of Roland SH101

Is Valley a Roland SH-101 clone?

• edited May 2023

@Montreal_Music said:
    Is Valley a Roland SH-101 clone?

more like "inspired by" .. it 's not exactly clone of 101 - it's clone of Intellijel Atlantis, which is synth heavily inspired by SH101..
    So basically Valley is as much close to 101 as you can get on iOS :-)

https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/atlantis/

never had opportunity to compare all of the face to face but to me Valley sounds even more close to 101 than Atantis :)) Esoecially in terms of raw strong bass spectrum