Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drill Music in Zion: 100% Garageband Album by Lupe Fiasco

Sources:

Full article:
https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.71387/title.lupe-fiasco-says-his-drill-music-in-zion-album-was-recorded-on-garageband-using-100-usb-mic
Album:
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kJm5n6vuHyiHfHq9bz88sTjNce5bCwn1I

I haven’t heard the entire album but the fact that another award winning recording artist created and recorded a whole album in just Garageband with a $100 usb mic in his living room is inspiring.

It also thumbs a nose at critics, naysayers and whiners who complain about Garageband, iPad, other “limited” methods of production and recording.

At any rate, what a time to be alive. So many great tools to create with. Be inspired. If you have something to share with the world, just use what you have.

There are so many people with all the latest gear, expensive mics and interfaces but couldn’t create a compelling song with any of it if you locked them in their studios for 3 lifetimes.

It’s less about the tools, more about what’s inside and the commitment to expressing it that makes an Artist.

Comments

• @CapnWillie said:
    Sources:

Full article:
    https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.71387/title.lupe-fiasco-says-his-drill-music-in-zion-album-was-recorded-on-garageband-using-100-usb-mic
    Album:
    https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kJm5n6vuHyiHfHq9bz88sTjNce5bCwn1I

I haven’t heard the entire album but the fact that another award winning recording artist created and recorded a whole album in just Garageband with a $100 usb mic in his living room is inspiring.

It also thumbs a nose at critics, naysayers and whiners who complain about Garageband, iPad, other “limited” methods of production and recording.

Agreed.

At any rate, what a time to be alive. So many great tools to create with. Be inspired. If you have something to share with the world, just use what you have.

There are so many people with all the latest gear, expensive mics and interfaces but couldn’t create a compelling song with any of it if you locked them in their studios for 3 lifetimes.

Agreed.

It’s less about the tools and more about what’s inside that makes an Artist.

+1000

• edited July 3

Yo @Gravitas ! I thought you’d appreciate this. Your channel and art is another example. So many amazingly talented folks like yourself around the globe sitting in their labs making amazing music, visuals, etc out of passion is what it’s all about—not how much you have to spend on gear.

• @CapnWillie said:
    Yo @Gravitas ! I thought you’d appreciate this. Your channel and art is another example. So many amazingly talented folks like yourself around the globe sitting in there labs making amazing music, visuals, etc out of passion is what it’s all about—not how much you have to spend on gear.

Yeah, I hear you.
    I view it like this.
    You could be a car collector and never drive the cars or
    you have one car and you travel faster than the speed of light. ;)

• 👍

• @Gravitas said:

@CapnWillie said:
    Yo @Gravitas ! I thought you’d appreciate this. Your channel and art is another example. So many amazingly talented folks like yourself around the globe sitting in there labs making amazing music, visuals, etc out of passion is what it’s all about—not how much you have to spend on gear.

Yeah, I hear you.
    I view it like this.

Right. Or even still….a creative mind and soul that allows you to travel the universe and back without ⛽️ . The funkadelic George Clinton immediately came to mind just now for some odd reason lmao.

• edited July 3

@CapnWillie said:

@Gravitas said:

@CapnWillie said:

Yeah, I hear you.
    I view it like this.

Right. Or even still….a creative mind and soul that allows you to travel the universe and back without ⛽️ . The funkadelic George Clinton immediately came to mind just now for some odd reason lmao.

Yeah, now that’s what I’m talking about.
    That’s my shizzle as well.

• I like the idea, but I couldn't help my first thought: It has been a long time since Lupe Fiasco was relevant. I mean, the guy is 40 years old — ancient! “Kick, Push” is almost old enough to vote. But that’s just me not paying attention or just picking up on lazy cultural narratives.
    This record feels really fresh and vital. Very impressive. Thanks for this @CapnWillie

• edited July 3

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I like the idea, but I couldn't help my first thought: It has been a long time since Lupe Fiasco was relevant. I mean, the guy is 40 years old — ancient! “Kick, Push” is almost old enough to vote. But that’s just me not paying attention or just picking up on lazy cultural narratives.
    This record feels really fresh and vital. Very impressive. Thanks for this @CapnWillie

[email protected] 40 is the new 30 man where have you been? Kanye, Eminem, Nas, Jada, JayZ, Beyoncé, etc all over 40 dropping bombs still. Don’t be like that 😂

Ageist humor aside, “relevant” is relative. To whom right? I mean, if I’m being honest, Lupe was never particularly relevant to me as I’ve never even listened to a full song from him.

However, I know for sure that he has a large fan base. I also know he could have recorded this album in a major studio with plenty of help just using his name and career as collateral.

The fact that he chose to create it in Garageband with a $100 mic lends to a larger ambition at hand. I think he’s trying to inspire which seems on brand for him.

• Not to take away from this admirable feat, but I don’t think the beats were actually made in GarageBand....just the recording process of vocals over beats. Or did I miss something?

• @drewinnit said:
    Not to take away from this admirable feat, but I don’t think the beats were actually made in GarageBand....just the recording process of vocals over beats. Or did I miss something?

Not that it really matters. The tools to create beats are available in GarageBand and any number of AUs that can run in GarageBand.

• @drewinnit said:
    Not to take away from this admirable feat, but I don’t think the beats were actually made in GarageBand....just the recording process of vocals over beats. Or did I miss something?

That’s a fair observation. It doesn’t specify where the beats were made. Even if they were made elsewhere and he just recorded the album at home, the same critics say you need to have or spend a certain amount on mics, interfaces, software, etc to do pro or serious work.

My point is simply that Art doesn’t care which tool(s) you use to create it.

• I don’t really care about the environment it was created in; it’s much more interesting that it was made in such a creative burst. The songs have a real urgency and they really cohere.

• edited July 3

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I don’t really care about the environment it was created in; it’s much more interesting that it was made in such a creative burst. The songs have a real urgency and they really cohere.

Wow so you dug it? Still haven’t had the opportunity to listen in cans but I intend to, just to hear sound quality, mix, etc.

• @CapnWillie said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I don’t really care about the environment it was created in; it’s much more interesting that it was made in such a creative burst. The songs have a real urgency and they really cohere.

Wow so you dug it? Still haven’t had the opportunity to listen in cans but I intend to, just to hear sound quality, mix, etc.

I've just had a listen to the album myself.
    Though I'm not into Drill music, quality wise you couldn't
    tell if it were recorded on an iPad or a desktop DAW at all.

What is important which is the main theme of this thread
    so far is that if you have the vision then finish your creations
    and release them however you release them.

• @Gravitas said:

@CapnWillie said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I think a lot of people get way too hung up on their tools and thinking that the tools do the work. Remember the storm over Madlib's comment (still unknown whether it was meant literally) about one of his albums (Bandana, I think) all being done on an iPad? At some point (while declining to clarify whether he did use an iPad), he commented that the reason he said that is that too many would-be musicians get ultra-focused on gear and thinking the gear is responsible -- while he could create his music with just about anything because it isn't really the gear but the mind/soul that creates the music.

So many people get focused on what they DON'T have rather than what they do have.

• McDMcD
    edited July 3

Now, listening to the tracks of this new Lupe Fiasco album I'm hit in the face with:

are you going to follow these lyrics
    or
    damn... listen to these Soundtrakk beats

I just switched back and forth. Ideally, I'd like to read the lyrics while listening end to end. And maybe try Koala's splitter and see if I can remove the vocals and rap to study the genius of world class beat making.

That fact that this music was made on GarageBand with a USB mic is a nice message to young kids. There's no requirement to get a record deal or book hours in a studio. You can make these products with an iPad, a cheap condenser mic and some free software. You just need to study how it all comes together and get to work.

You can make movies with iphones and a Mac.
    You can albums with an iPad or Mac.
    You can make NFT's on an iPad.
    You can animate cartoons in your bedroom.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gravitas said:

@CapnWillie said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I think a lot of people get way too hung up on their tools and thinking that the tools do the work. Remember the storm over Madlib's comment (still unknown whether it was meant literally) about one of his albums (Bandana, I think) all being done on an iPad?

Agreed.
    Yep, I remember that storm.

At some point (while declining to clarify whether he did use an iPad), he commented that the reason he said that is that too many would-be musicians get ultra-focused on gear and thinking the gear is responsible -- while he could create his music with just about anything because it isn't really the gear but the mind/soul that creates the music.

Yeah, absolutely.
    I’m a lifelong artist across many genres and mediums and
    when one needs to create one finds the given medium and at the very least begins.
    If one starts a thousand sketches and finishes one Master Piece it’s still a master piece
    whether it was shaped out of clay or gold.

• @McD said:
    I was PM'ing with @Lady_App_titude and I told her my brain just doesn't pay attention to the lyrics. I keep missing the essential plot of most story songs. Her music under discussion was politically motivated but she didn't want that to turn people away from the music so she tried to mix it to let her get her anger out while still making music she had labored over for weeks.

I did not say any of this. My only objective in a mix is the best sound. What I did say was I deliberately didn't publish the lyrics because I would prefer people to focus on the music first and not get too hung up on the details of the lyrics.

• McDMcD
    edited July 3

@Lady_App_titude said:
    I did not say any of this.

I will edit my comment and you can edit out my quote in yours and that set the record straight. My apologies.

• @McD said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    I did not say any of this.

I will edit my comment and you can edit out my quote in yours and that set the record straight. My apologies.

No worries. No biggie.

• @Gravitas said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gravitas said:

@CapnWillie said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I think a lot of people get way too hung up on their tools and thinking that the tools do the work. Remember the storm over Madlib's comment (still unknown whether it was meant literally) about one of his albums (Bandana, I think) all being done on an iPad?

Agreed.
    Yep, I remember that storm.

At some point (while declining to clarify whether he did use an iPad), he commented that the reason he said that is that too many would-be musicians get ultra-focused on gear and thinking the gear is responsible -- while he could create his music with just about anything because it isn't really the gear but the mind/soul that creates the music.

Yeah, absolutely.
    I’m a lifelong artist across many genres and mediums and
    when one needs to create one finds the given medium and at the very least begins.
    If one starts a thousand sketches and finishes one Master Piece it’s still a master piece
    whether it was shaped out of clay or gold.

When I was younger (let’s say in my early 20s to early 30s…way back in the 80s and 90s) and trying to develop studio and arranging chops, I used to hunt down demo versions of songs by my favorite artists (often thrown in as filler on CD singles and cassingles). I was amazed at how often the home demos (often recorded on cheap-ass portastudios) were often better (though his diet) than the release versions…Neil Finn commented about that in an interview and said that home demos often have an immediacy and expressiveness because you are just trying to capture the song and you aren’t thinking about how anyone is going to judge it. You let yourself lay it out there without being precious.

Stuff was expensive enough that musicians (with the exception of rich ones) largely just had what they needed and knew it was on them to make cool sounds with what they had. You didn’t hold on to gear you didn’t use.

Now, we get tempted to get every plug-in in sight and find the magic tool rather than focus on getting stuff done.

• I applaud the effort. I don't think he recorded the whole album on an iPad, but GarageBand on a desktop system (be it a MacBook Pro or iMac, or whatever) still speaks favorably of GarageBand.

• That Naomi track is killer.

• Haha cmon he recorded his voice with GB and that’s it.

If you’re good enough, you don’t even need the $100 mic.