Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic driving iPad?

Can anyone give me advice how to start/stop sync my iPad with a Logic project?
I’m making progress but don’t seem to get there.
I managed to send Logic MIDI clock to Audiobus and MIDI learn the Audiobus transport to a note that starts a track in Logic. But the start is sometimes messy..

Comments

• I have this app and it’s a real addition to Logic.
    What I want to achieve is different: I want to record audio and midi coming from my iPad in a Logic project, and want to start-stop sync it with Logic. So that for instance I can record some Blocswave loops from the iPad synced into a Logic project.

• @prtr_jan said:

I have this app and it’s a real addition to Logic.
    What I want to achieve is different: I want to record audio and midi coming from my iPad in a Logic project, and want to start-stop sync it with Logic. So that for instance I can record some Blocswave loops from the iPad synced into a Logic project.

Can Logic send MIDI Clock or Ableton Link?

• edited July 2022

It sends MIDI clock and MMC. And I got it to work, but after pressing play in Logic the tempo on the iPad first seems ‘to settle’. It starts with a tempo that is a bit to high and afterwards runs fine. Not a seamless experience yet. Logic doesn’t send Link.
    @espiegel123

• @prtr_jan said:
    It sends MIDI clock and MMC. And I got it to work, but after pressing play in Logic the tempo on the iPad first seems ‘to settle’. It starts with a tempo that is a bit to high and afterwards runs fine. Not a seamless experience yet. Logic doesn’t send Link.
    @espiegel123

Wouldn’t idam work? Or is the problem that even with IDAM it isn’t syncing? I’ve done idam successfully but never needed to sync them playing in time, it was either being played live or logic was doing the sequencing of an instrument on iPad.

• edited July 2022

I have found that the first few bars of MIDI sync will be a little wobbly. It’s just how the process works. Give yourself a few bars at the start of the project for this to take place and it should be good.
    Works the same way with BM3 and Drambo when using Logic to sync over IDAM.

• @mrufino1 @Mountain_Hamlet

Yes IDAM works, it’s about the syncing. @Mountain_Hamlet thank you for confirming, I was also starting to work as you explain: first 4 empty bars..

Thank you all!

• edited July 2022

@Mountain_Hamlet I’m hoping you might know the answer to this one too: synced audio from iPad to Logic on MacBook is working fine now (with the wobbly beginning and sometimes missing a stop, but overall workable). Now I’m encountering the next obstacle: after I added another instrument, the audio track coming from the iPad stops sounding/falls silent while I keep seeing it on the metering in the mixer (the green bar keeps moving). I twiddled with the arm track an monitoring settings, but I can’t find a consistent answer..

edit: hmmm, seems to be something with which track is selected, maybe I’m missing something quite basic here

• edited July 2022

I have seen this before. I’ll see if I can replicate it.

In the meantime, does this link help?

It might give a clue as to how to fix the problem.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcpbfbefa96/mac

Let me know if this is somewhere in the ballpark.

• @Mountain_Hamlet said:
    I have seen this before. I’ll see if I can replicate it.

In the meantime, does this link help?

It might give a clue as to how to fix the problem.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcpbfbefa96/mac

Let me know if this is somewhere in the ballpark.

Thank you. Haven’t found out what makes this tick. Working around is no swear so not that big a deal right now..

• edited July 2022

Discovered this tip....maybe this might make the difference?

Choose Preferences > Audio > General and make sure that Input monitoring for focused track and record enabled tracks is unchecked.

I haven't had this problem for a while and my settings are unchecked so it's possible I went down this route previously. 🤷‍♂️

• @Mountain_Hamlet said:
    Discovered this tip....maybe this might make the difference?

Choose Preferences > Audio > General and make sure that Input monitoring for focused track and record enabled tracks is unchecked.

I haven't had this problem for a while and my settings are unchecked so it's possible I went down this route previously. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you. I will try that out!