Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nomonyx dominucus 3osc VA synth released

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nomonyx-dominicus/id1623084784

Seems to be a port of an obscure desktop plugin. The price and the lack of ring modulation/sync turn me off.

Comments

  • I'm skeptical, especially since iOS has a lot of quality VA synths already (Zeeon, Sunrizer, Kauldron, Moog Model 15, Model D, iMono/Poly, etc), many of which have ring mod/sync capabilities. Maybe we can badger @thesoundtestroom to give Dominucus a whirl to see what it actually sounds like before I make a final judgement as to whether I'll buy it or not. $15 isn't a bad price if it SOUNDS amazing and not something one can concoct in 10 minutes in something like Synthmaker. :lol:

  • There’s this one by the same developer https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/nomonyx/id1623581370

  • I found a video of the developer introducing the synth. hope it helps.

  • @willg said:
    I found a video of the developer introducing the synth. hope it helps.

    It definitely helps mate. It helps me realise Dominicus isn't worth the $15 asking price (let alone the €50 asking price for the PC/Mac VST). If it were free, I'd probably give it a shot, but not even worth Doug's time to test it.

    "Wow Jim, so mean. Whachu on about?" Its feature set is limited and mundane. (I like synths with limited feature sets so long as the limited features do something interesting.) I was bored to tears when the developer was describing all of the "features", most of which are basic features in pretty much every subtractive synth, save for polyphonic gliding? And I'm positive that patchstorage has some Drambo patches with polyphonic gliding after 2+ years since Drambo's public release. 🤷🤣

    And please don't get me started on how Dominicus sounds. 🤦

    Maybe I'm being too harsh and critical. Maybe it does appeal to someone out there. I'm just not sure who.

  • Not seeing any connectivity with this one. Or it’s not listed in the description anyway. Think I’m set on VA synths though the $5 is a bit more tempting. Think I’ll pass for now though. Appreciate the heads up though!

  • edited July 1

    The lower-cost app is a single oscillator version, but it includes 10 presets from the “Dominicus” version that are fully-voiced. I’ve scrolled through the presets and some sound really nice. Poly glide is an intriguing feature. The combo filter setting is cool too. It’s more than just another subtractive synth, though to my ear there’s some quirkiness to the filter, especially in poly mode. The UI could use a bit of polish. Right now I don’t feel like I’m in a hurry to buy the expensive version. But again, some of the sounds it produces are quite nice.

  • @HotStrange I think it must be AUv3, there is a screen shot in the App Store description showing it open in NanoStudio 2.
    Anyway, I’ve emailed the developer for a code, so we shall see if he gets back to me.
    I like the idea of the cycling envelopes too, as well as poly glide.

  • @thesoundtestroom said:
    @HotStrange I think it must be AUv3, there is a screen shot in the App Store description showing it open in NanoStudio 2.
    Anyway, I’ve emailed the developer for a code, so we shall see if he gets back to me.
    I like the idea of the cycling envelopes too, as well as poly glide.

    Ah right on! Thanks Doug. Hope you’re able to get a code for it 🙏

  • I don’t know about it’s sound possibilities but they should for sure hire a graphic UI designer :smiley:

  • What’s the difference between the 2? Seems like maybe one is a single OSC synth and the other has 3?

  • @mjm1138 said:
    The lower-cost app is a single oscillator version, but it includes 10 presets from the “Dominicus” version that are fully-voiced. I’ve scrolled through the presets and some sound really nice. Poly glide is an intriguing feature. The combo filter setting is cool too. It’s more than just another subtractive synth, though to my ear there’s some quirkiness to the filter, especially in poly mode. The UI could use a bit of polish. Right now I don’t feel like I’m in a hurry to buy the expensive version. But again, some of the sounds it produces are quite nice.

    Thanks for this. Worth the $5 for the cheaper one?

  • A subtractive analog synth with 3 analog :o wavetables in a tablet ?
    That‘s for sure something to have... o:)

  • Yea I didn’t see anything listed but did catch Nanostudio 2 in th3 App Store screen shots.

  • free version available for mac ->
    au-vst3

  • @HotStrange said:

    @mjm1138 said:
    The lower-cost app is a single oscillator version, but it includes 10 presets from the “Dominicus” version that are fully-voiced. I’ve scrolled through the presets and some sound really nice. Poly glide is an intriguing feature. The combo filter setting is cool too. It’s more than just another subtractive synth, though to my ear there’s some quirkiness to the filter, especially in poly mode. The UI could use a bit of polish. Right now I don’t feel like I’m in a hurry to buy the expensive version. But again, some of the sounds it produces are quite nice.

    Thanks for this. Worth the $5 for the cheaper one?

    If you have a Mac you can download it for free, so you can check it out and decide. I messed around with it for a bit and got some interesting sounds but I’m not sure I’ll make much use of it. I might buy the three osc version if it goes on sale or they make a bundle, that one seems more useful.

  • edited July 3

    Here is my video for Nomonyx Dominicus, I hope you enjoy it.

  • @thesoundtestroom said:
    Here is my video for Nomonyx Dominicus, I hope you enjoy it.

    Thanks Doug! Watched the first few mins and am definitely interested in this. Will finish the video this evening. Couple of questions: do you know the exact differences between the 2 apps? Is it just the oscillators? Any other differences? Also are the envelopes and LFOs assignable or pre-assigned?

  • @HotStrange I’ve tried the one oscillator version yet but it’s probably the same but with just the on osc.
    The envelopes and LFOs are pre assigned.

  • Demonstration (By a wavetables noob)

Sign In or Register to comment.