Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM - Feeling Blue (A more melodic type of Ambient)

I decided to do something a little bit different from the David Lynchesque texture exploration fare and went for something more melodic in AUM, aiming for a mood.

So, I started with the default computer sound from VHS synth, recorded that into Gauss, and slowed it down. I processed this through Fabfilter Saturn 2, FAC Chorus, and a highpass filter.

Next, I loaded in Zeeon to record a simple drone with a long lowpass filter envelope into Gauss, and slowed that down. Processed through Saturn 2.

Finally, I recorded some melancholy jazzy chords from Module Pro's Ivory Grand into Gauss and processed that through Saturn 2 and a highpass filter.

Used KB-1 to control the lowpass filters of each of the three elements.

I routed all three elements into the master buss, on which I put Korvpresser to slightly bring up the lows, Baby Audio Crystalline (ooo, what a helluva reverb!), a gain to lower the amplitude, ChowTape, and a peak limiter.

We start with the drone, then the piano is introduced, and then the computer noises subtly play in the background.

Cheers and enjoy.

Comments

• hey, another great drone. i really liked the subtle change of the layers as the song progressed.well done, my friend. and a big thanks for explaining the process you used in its creation.

• I can definitely hear the Lynch influence here. He’s my favorite artist ever and you did a great job getting “that” mood.

Glad you’re liking Crystalline. Haven’t bought it yet but am this weekend. How do you like KB-1?

• @wag said:
    hey, another great drone. i really liked the subtle change of the layers as the song progressed.well done, my friend. and a big thanks for explaining the process you used in its creation.

Thank you so much mate. :) I always love to explain how I create something to help educate others (as well as to help myself remember "okay, how did I achieve this sound again?" :lol: ).

• @HotStrange said:
    I can definitely hear the Lynch influence here. He’s my favorite artist ever and you did a great job getting “that” mood.

Thank you so much mate! :) David Lynch's works are so fantastic. He does it all, from music creation, movie creation, painting and art, etc. A genius! I myself am not a filmmaker, but I dabble in the arts as well (although I've yet to get into experimental art as I prefer cartooning :lol: ).

Glad you’re liking Crystalline. Haven’t bought it yet but am this weekend. How do you like KB-1?

I LOVE KB-1. One of the best live MIDI controller apps as far as straight-forward apps are concerned. Got plenty of keyboard options, drum pads, X-Y controllers and CC knobs as well. I'm sure there exist some more experimental MIDI controller apps out there, although...

...right now I'm jonesing for some of those generative MIDI sequencers that exist out there. :P @brambos ' Rozeta Particles is the iOS GOAT of generative MIDI sequencers, but I'm curious as to what else is out there.

• Welcome to the machine!
    Love this one, mate. I get a dark industrial vision from it. You’re nailing it with these! Quite an impressive collection building up. Keep ‘em coming, man. Really enjoy following your sonic adventures. 👊😃

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:
    I can definitely hear the Lynch influence here. He’s my favorite artist ever and you did a great job getting “that” mood.

Thank you so much mate! :) David Lynch's works are so fantastic. He does it all, from music creation, movie creation, painting and art, etc. A genius! I myself am not a filmmaker, but I dabble in the arts as well (although I've yet to get into experimental art as I prefer cartooning :lol: ).

I LOVE KB-1. One of the best live MIDI controller apps as far as straight-forward apps are concerned. Got plenty of keyboard options, drum pads, X-Y controllers and CC knobs as well. I'm sure there exist some more experimental MIDI controller apps out there, although...

...right now I'm jonesing for some of those generative MIDI sequencers that exist out there. :P @brambos ' Rozeta Particles is the iOS GOAT of generative MIDI sequencers, but I'm curious as to what else is out there.

Lynch is definitely a certified genius. I love his music and music videos as well. Can’t wait to see what he’s working on with Netflix!

I think I might snatch up KB-1 soon. Right now Sampletron and Crystalline are all that’s on my mind haha.

• @HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Lynch is definitely a certified genius. I love his music and music videos as well. Can’t wait to see what he’s working on with Netflix!

Ugh, I have a love/hate relationship with Netflix, lol. I'm currently not subscribed to it. Lynch's works may get me to subscribe to it for a month. :lol: But only when they're released to the platform.

I think I might snatch up KB-1 soon. Right now Sampletron and Crystalline are all that’s on my mind haha.

Going for broke with Sampletron I see? :lol: Well, it'll be better than a lot of other apps out there with all the voices it seems to have. I have Beathawk's Mellotron pack as well as Module's Mellow pack, so those should suffice for now. ^_^

Yeah, go for Crystalline above all else mate. You won't be sorry. It's that good. It's kind of like Alteza in a way, but less textural and more smooth. Both are tied for the best reverbs on the iOS platform. With Crystalline you have to slow the BPM of your host all the way down in order to get some truly long reverbs, which is fine. :) I usually do that in practice anyways in AUM.

Yep, a person doesn't necessarily NEED KB-1 as they can manipulate the LP Filter knobs just fine on AUM's interface. I just like to have all the controls in one spot rather than spread out on the mixer, especially if I have more than four audio tracks being fed into the master track. It's basically the CC control surface I've always wanted in AUM! :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Ugh, I have a love/hate relationship with Netflix, lol. I'm currently not subscribed to it. Lynch's works may get me to subscribe to it for a month. :lol: But only when they're released to the platform.

Going for broke with Sampletron I see? :lol: Well, it'll be better than a lot of other apps out there with all the voices it seems to have. I have Beathawk's Mellotron pack as well as Module's Mellow pack, so those should suffice for now. ^_^

Yeah, go for Crystalline above all else mate. You won't be sorry. It's that good. It's kind of like Alteza in a way, but less textural and more smooth. Both are tied for the best reverbs on the iOS platform. With Crystalline you have to slow the BPM of your host all the way down in order to get some truly long reverbs, which is fine. :) I usually do that in practice anyways in AUM.

Yep, a person doesn't necessarily NEED KB-1 as they can manipulate the LP Filter knobs just fine on AUM's interface. I just like to have all the controls in one spot rather than spread out on the mixer, especially if I have more than four audio tracks being fed into the master track. It's basically the CC control surface I've always wanted in AUM! :)

Same here regarding Netflix. Luckily my girlfriend pays for it haha.

I think Sampletron is gonna live in my head rent free until I buy it 😆 I do have Mellowsound, Chamberlin, Mellotron lite, and iOptigan. Plus sounds on Thumbjam and PSP. That should hold me over haha.

Crystalline is a definite though. It’s the next effect on my to-buy list. KB-1 is on there somewhere but I think some 4pockets stuff has it beat right now. Namely Multitrack, MidiMixer, and Helium.