Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reactable is on the bus!

edited March 2013 in General App Discussion

Reactable now has AudioBus support (both input and output).

Comments

• While I'm really happy that Reactable is on the bus, there is something I don't quite understand.

Reactable has an input module, so I can use the iPad mic or line in to feed audio into the signal path. In the Audiobus input slot, this means I can do that AND record the result. In the Audiobus output slot, I can use the Reactable input module to feed another Audiobus compatible app's output into Reactable.

What I CAN'T do is feed in another app's output AND record the result.

These people are clever guys. Surely they.would have realised that Reactable needs to be effects slot compatible for full functionality? I'm going to email them about it and see what they say. I'm not annoyed, just really surprised, as I thought this requirement was obvious.

• With Reactable in the output slot of Audiobus I can't get the audio from any app that's in Audiobus's input slot to sound at all. I have Reactable's input module on the table so sound from the input slot's app should be coming through.
    I don't have time to test further right now, I'll try again later,

• edited March 2013

I have to admit, I was speaking theoretically, not having tried it out, so you may be right.

Word from the Reactable guys is that they overlooked the possible benefits of effects slot support. Without making any promises, they're going to look into it.

• Tried this again and something is definitely not working right with Reactable in Audiobus's output slot. Drumjam was playing a loop in the input slot but you couldn't hear it with Reactable in AB output slot. At first I didn't have anything in AB's effect slot but I tried Echopad and Remaster at different times and if I add something into the effects slot but don't actually wake it up (zzz's still there) you can hear Drumjam but the audio goes away when you wake up the effects slot. I removed Reactable from AB's output and replaced it with Loopy and you could hear Drumjam and effects again. I'm open to the possibility of user error here but I don't have any problem with AB or any other apps so I'm curious to see if anyone else can get this to work.

@PaulB I suspect Reactable might do what you want to do with it in AB's output IF it was working correctly

So far I'm a little disappointed with Reactable and the fact that you get a limited number of each type of blocks to work with.