Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bach’s Bad Hair Day : a virtual guitar piece with Scaler intro

A virtual guitar piece created with AudioLayer, Rhino Guitar Amp sim, Pure Synth Platinum, Mammoth Bass amp sim, ZOA(midi generator for guitar and bass), and Rock Drum Machine and Hammerhead for drums. Intro created with Scaler for iOS and AudioLayer. Recorded in AUM and mixed and arranged in Cubasis 3. All made on an iPad mini.

Comments

  • edited June 28

    Excellent, Mac! I like the transitions from orchestral to metal and back. Guitar track reminds me a bit of my old guitar player Tony Iovino. Drums are killer! I will listen to this on headphones tonight.

    Also, cool title. I got a good laugh from that!

  • Hi MadeofWax,
    Very nice guitar play!
    The sudden change in musical scene threw me off a bit.
    I like the superb trio of electric guitar, bass and drums!!!
    Rene

  • Great stuff. I’m amazed how you get ZOA to do the guitar and bass… and tips you want to pass on 😊

  • @Paulieworld said:
    Excellent, Mac! I like the transitions from orchestral to metal and back. Guitar track reminds me a bit of my old guitar player Tony Iovino. Drums are killer! I will listen to this on headphones tonight.

    Also, cool title. I got a good laugh from that!

    Thanks Paul!
    I was trying to emulate some of the neoclassical guitar gods from my youth like Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Nuno Bettencourt. If your old guitar player played like that my hat is off to him.
    I've found that mixing different drum machines helps me make things more interesting. I'm a preset addict. At least with two drum machines the sum is (hopefully) greater than the parts.
    The title is me showing my age. I can't remember the last time I heard the phrase "bad hair day" but it popped into my head and made me laugh to myself a bit.
    Thanks for listening!

    @ReneAsologuitar said:
    Hi MadeofWax,
    Very nice guitar play!
    The sudden change in musical scene threw me off a bit.
    I like the superb trio of electric guitar, bass and drums!!!
    Rene

    Thank you Rene!
    I wish I could play half as good as my iPad. ZOA does all the work on the guitar parts. I mostly just slide the note length slider and bounce back and forth between midi patterns. It's rare for me to play real guitar parts anymore.
    Thanks for listening!

    @GeoTony said:
    Great stuff. I’m amazed how you get ZOA to do the guitar and bass… and tips you want to pass on 😊

    Thanks GeoTony!
    I just enable 2 midi channels from ZOA and send both to my AudioLayer guitar which is set to monophonic. Changing the note length and patterns on each channel winds up giving a wide variety of weird guitar-like bends. I have some time off coming soon so I'll have to look into making a video on my process if you'd be interested.
    Thanks for listening!

  • Brilliant work Mac!

    @MadeofWax

    So, these guitar samples/sounds originate from? (My first guess was Riffler?) And are you sequencing notes or “riffs”? Inquiring minds..

  • @Edward_Alexander said:
    Brilliant work Mac!

    @MadeofWax

    So, these guitar samples/sounds originate from? (My first guess was Riffler?) And are you sequencing notes or “riffs”? Inquiring minds..

    Thanks Edward!
    I use AudioLayer with a guitar sample ( just a single note like a regular instrument) and enable 2 different "play heads" in ZOA . I send both to AudioLayer. By having a different Pace and Rule on each "play head" and enabling monophonic in AudioLayer it causes notes to try to glide and slur. Just by moving the Length slider and varying the Pace and Rule In each channel you can get some really crazy sounds. I'm going to make a video to show the process.
    Thanks for listening!

  • edited June 29

    @Edward_Alexander , @GeoTony
    Here's a short video showing my process. Sorry, narration is not my thing but hopefully this does a decent job showing how it all works. I've put the link to my AudioLayer guitar instrument in the description.

  • Cool technique! I’ll have to check this out later. Thanks for sharing the sounds!

  • Lol, @MadeofWax, I’ve not followed a lot of videos in my iOS time, but this was the best at not being able to follow! Don’t misunderstand, your presentation was great (love your voice), it’s just as you went along I could hear and understand less and less.

    This is music, for sure, not just a kind of music I could ever make. Fugue Machine was my outer generative limit, I guess. Well, lots of folks don’t understand how I manage it….Proving once again there are more ways than one to skin catgut. Good work, mate👍🙏😎

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Lol, @MadeofWax, I’ve not followed a lot of videos in my iOS time, but this was the best at not being able to follow! Don’t misunderstand, your presentation was great (love your voice), it’s just as you went along I could hear and understand less and less.

    This is music, for sure, not just a kind of music I could ever make. Fugue Machine was my outer generative limit, I guess. Well, lots of folks don’t understand how I manage it….Proving once again there are more ways than one to skin catgut. Good work, mate👍🙏😎

    Thanks for watching @LinearLineman
    There's definitely an art to "How to" videos. Makes me appreciate Doug from the Soundtest Room and Gavin from Gavinski's Tutorials that much more. This was more of a quick and dirty, off the cuff explanation.
    With some vacation time coming I will likely revisit this video with some sort of pointing device and a script going over each app in detail but I think I should probably leave tutorial videos to the professionals 😁.

  • Many thanks @MadeofWax , I thought the video was excellent… followed the instructions, ramped play heads up to 4 playing Phrygian, pointed it at a single instance of Roli Noise Steel String Guitar at 34bpm… Instant Domenico Scarlatti . Very useful technique! Here is a quick and dirty example of the result…

  • Cool song name.
    The guitar part reminds me on bagpipe music - in a good way.
    Good work!🧔🏼👍🏽

  • @GeoTony said:
    Many thanks @MadeofWax , I thought the video was excellent… followed the instructions, ramped play heads up to 4 playing Phrygian, pointed it at a single instance of Roli Noise Steel String Guitar at 34bpm… Instant Domenico Scarlatti . Very useful technique! Here is a quick and dirty example of the result…

    Very cool @GeoTony .
    I’ve never gone over 2 play heads for fear of making a cacophonous mess. You made it sound awesome. Glad you found this technique useful.

    @Satie2 said:
    Cool song name.
    The guitar part reminds me on bagpipe music - in a good way.
    Good work!🧔🏼👍🏽

    Thank you @Satie!
    I noticed whenever I try doing pitch bending and such on certain virtual guitar sounds it really does resemble bagpipes. Part of me wants to try “Amazing Grace” now. Then again, it might be a little scary 😂.
    Thanks again for listening!

  • @Edward_Alexander said:
    Cool technique! I’ll have to check this out later. Thanks for sharing the sounds!

    Happy to share. Thanks for checking it out!

  • If your old guitar player played like that my hat is off to him.

    I was fortunate to get him to play on a CD we did back in the late 90's. He literally disappeared after it was finished. I have been trying to locate him ever since. Every now and then I post something like this hoping somebody has seen him.

  • @Paulieworld said:
    If your old guitar player played like that my hat is off to him.

    I was fortunate to get him to play on a CD we did back in the late 90's. He literally disappeared after it was finished. I have been trying to locate him ever since. Every now and then I post something like this hoping somebody has seen him.

    Wow. I've seen Yngwie Malmsteen live and I'm not sure he played his own music as well as your friend did. Shame he disappeared like that. I hate losing touch with people and I would imagine that someone just disappearing with absolutely no warning would bug me to no end. Hopefully he's somewhere out there.

  • Somebody posted a video of him jamming at Santa Monica Beach in around 2014. That's the last time I heard of him. He was a real character. As Rush said... he had a problem with his poisons.

  • @GeoTony said:
    Many thanks @MadeofWax , I thought the video was excellent… followed the instructions, ramped play heads up to 4 playing Phrygian, pointed it at a single instance of Roli Noise Steel String Guitar at 34bpm… Instant Domenico Scarlatti .

    Yes! thanks to @MadeofWax for a really interesting and non-intuitive idea here. Also in the original video, I liked the abrupt no-transition between sections. Who needs segues or fades?

    For @GeoTony , I liked the instant Scarlatti. maybe having CCs send a key change now and then? or a scale change?

  • @Stochastically said:

    @GeoTony said:
    Many thanks @MadeofWax , I thought the video was excellent… followed the instructions, ramped play heads up to 4 playing Phrygian, pointed it at a single instance of Roli Noise Steel String Guitar at 34bpm… Instant Domenico Scarlatti .

    Yes! thanks to @MadeofWax for a really interesting and non-intuitive idea here. Also in the original video, I liked the abrupt no-transition between sections. Who needs segues or fades?

    For @GeoTony , I liked the instant Scarlatti. maybe having CCs send a key change now and then? or a scale change?

    I have set up LFO's to move the Length slider and switch pace. With the Pace I prefer a square wave but I imagine sample and hold would make for some interesting jumps in Pace. I also recommend gliding your fingers across the Note Grid area to have some influence on the notes. Sometimes moving the glide manually along while influencing the note grid almost feels like playing an instrument. Whatever gets you the results you like, that's what matters!

Sign In or Register to comment.