Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg iM1 - can I get midi notes into GB IOS

Hi

seen a few post relating to iM1. I appreciate it's not an AUV3 enabled app, but is there anyway to play either via GB inapp keyboard, or an an external midi keyboard, and get the midi notes directly into GB (whilst hearing the rest of the project) ?

All I can do at the moment via IAA is get the sound wav into GB (under microphone/instrument), which obviously doesn't help if you want to edit individual notes, or copy notes from another track etc.

I can step time play the M1 directly from Klimper for example,

from what I can see I think Cubasis 3 offers a way round this (can someone confirm this ?) , and the M1 is available in Gadget2, but I'd rather not change my DAW, just to use the fantastic iM1

thanks for listening.

Comments

• Between Apple and Korg, you're in a tough spot. Great software but designed to keep you locked inside using their products.

Moving pre-cooked audio around is probably your only recourse. Sad, right?

• thanks, that's confirmed what I thought was the case - i.e. there's no way to play M1 from GB directly :(

oh well, I might try Cubasis 3 when it next goes on sale to if it's the right time for a switch.

thanks again

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

It's really weird that it doesn't work in GarageBand. The iM1 inst InterApp audio plugin should play from the GarageBand keyboard, but GarageBand loads the iM1 gen plugin instead. This is either a GarageBand bug in that it loads the wrong plugin, or an iM1 bug that it somehow reports itself wrong. Or, it's just Apple up to it's old tricks of deciding it knows better than we do what we want.

iM1 does work as it should in Cubasis and other DAWs.

• I'm not sure we have the definitive answer yet. I know iM1 is an IAA app... does GB support IAA instances? Recently I tried to get something either in or out of GB and failed. I'm NOT any kind of expert and I hope someone with GB experience and skills weighs in before you give up.

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

@McD said:
    I'm not sure we have the definitive answer yet. I know iM1 is an IAA app... does GB support IAA instances? Recently I tried to get something either in or out of GB and failed. I'm NOT any kind of expert and I hope someone with GB experience and skills weighs in before you give up.

GB definitely supports IAA instances. Always has.

iM1 ships with two IAA plugins iM1 gen, and iM1 inst. In Apple World, a generator plugin makes sound on its own and isn't intended to receive MIDI to play it. An instrument plugin takes MIDI input to make sound. A generator goes on an audio track. An instrument goes on a MIDI track.

Selecting iM1 inst should open up a track where you can play the GB keyboard and have that play iM1. It does not. Instead, it seems the iM1 gen plugin is loaded as it shows up as an audio track. Bug, or by design? Only Apple knows.

In Cubasis the difference between iM1 gen and iM1 inst is clear. If you create a MIDI track you iM1 inst is available to load, and plays from the keyboard and piano roll notes as expected.

If you create an audio track and change the input to IAA, you will see iM1 gen listed. Adding this, you can only record the audio from it and you can't play it from the Cubasis keyboard.

• @wim said:

@McD said:
    I'm not sure we have the definitive answer yet.

Thanks for the thorough research and your findings.

• You could record the MIDI from Garageband using the MIDI Tape Recorder app then connect that output to Korg iM1.
    Here's the application link - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midi-tape-recorder/id1598618004

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    You could record the MIDI from Garageband using the MIDI Tape Recorder app then connect that output to Korg iM1.
    Here's the application link - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midi-tape-recorder/id1598618004

What MIDI from GarageBand? The problem seems to be that when iM1 is chosen, GB doesn't create track with a keyboard/MIDI. The logistics of a workaround seem kind of messy as a result.

• @espiegel123 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    You could record the MIDI from Garageband using the MIDI Tape Recorder app then connect that output to Korg iM1.

What MIDI from GarageBand? The problem seems to be that when iM1 is chosen, GB doesn't create track with a keyboard/MIDI. The logistics of a workaround seem kind of messy as a result.

Oh my bad...I misspoke. It's the other way around.

What you could do is record a sample of iM1 into the Sampler menu found in the keyboard of Garageband. You then record a one-shot, based on the octave you want. Then, you can record the MIDI directly in Garageband.

Here's a ton of pictures detailing what I mean...

• Else, the other way is to either record the MIDI into MIDI tape recorder, then use the IAA feature of Garageband to record the audio.

Or you could record it directly into Garageband via IAA using an external keyboard/iM1 directly.

• thanks all for the detailed discussion. At least it proves I'm not missing something simple in AUM/iM1/GB

as had been said, it will work in Cubasis , and I just need to decide whether the shift to different DAW is worth it just to get M1 sounds into my creations

Klimper is able to send notes directly to iM1, but appears to be limited to a single sound across all tracks, although as that's part of my workflow occasionally, that will be an option. I can of course try and play live into a audio track in GB, but I'm not great on the keyboard, hence why I use the piano roll for sometimes significant editing.

Great shame that Korg haven' gone the AUV3 route, or in fact fully tested iM1 IAA with GB - but it's in their interest to push you to their products - although I was initially reticent about buying iM1 as I saw it wasn't AUV3 - I'm betting a number of other potential purchasers have been completely put off.