Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for iPAD OS Perfect DAW for hardware studio setup.

Ok I know I’m probably on a losing streak already here as I believe it’s the one thing missing on the iPad unless you prepared to work around and spend a fair few hours jumping through hoops.

Spent the morning trying to build a studio setup with iPad as the brain and also the recorder for audio and midi.

My audio device is TC Helicon Blender. I’m tracking in a MPC One and also a Arturia Microfreak into the audio hub. I’m also sending midi out to the MPC via a MIO cable. I have the iPad Pro 9.7 connected with a CCK and and iPad power cable with a Atolla powered 4 usb hub connected to it.

The closest I can get to a perfect setup is using AUM it recognises the TC Helicon Blender and shows the different inputs. It also shows the MIO via the midi matrix and lets me route out midi to the MPC One via a midi node using for example Scaler 2. I can the record the results in via a separate audio node into say Loopy Pro.

If I want to achieve the above however in a more traditional way into a linear DAW like Cubasis 3 or any of the others like Zenbeats I start hitting problems as the TC Helicon either not recognised or all the multi audio ins don’t show. Also sending midi out via the MIO is not possible to route in all DAWs unless I’m missing a trick

If I try the same setup using Bitwig / Logic Pro on my MBP I can choose multi audio ins with ease and route midi easier.

I hope in the future on iPad OS we get a linear DAW that actually shows the name of the audio interface and lets you route multi audio in from it with ease and provides a midi matrix and lets you send midi out externally and record back in.

For now I stick with AUM as it seems to work best. Was wondering what other iPad users finds works for them in the studio if they using hardware and iPad as a brain central.

As a side note the TC Blender does seem a bit flaky at times keeping the usb connection stable and doesn’t always show. Maybe I need to invest in a better audio interface and mixer.

Comments

• edited June 2022

Now probably switching to Drambo for synthesis ( although still using aum )

I were thinking to make a setup. Where drambo in aum can use an external keyboard ( or not ) using Drambo per track function and aum filters. I can switch tracks via drambo to control synths etc. Either using Drambo on screen or via midi.

Considered because Iv got the apps. To use Drambo to sequence Neons or loopy recordings.

Or Neon. Where you can save to audio pool. You can then whilst in aum. Drag and drop neon recordings to multitrack recorder. For audio arrangment. So you dont have to sequence recordings out to a Drambo but with Drambo. I guess where you are sequencing just by a keyboard note to trigger audio recordings. You have the benefit of scrolling track on a pattern basis.

I thought I needed a timeline but dont think I do. Just a semi timeline of some audios. Waveforms of these maybe a bonus but triggered via patterns still and automation recording seals the deal.

Maybe Drambo will detect blender.

You might need Drambo anyway. If you think it will be good to switch between synths using Drambo in aum and maybe then also. Using drambo to trigger audio clips. If you have to use aum.

Drambo in aum or just Drambo

Plus Neon or loopy. Loopy will trigger the same via note and trigger sequenced from Drambo and/ in aum but has the bonus of looping. You arnt always going to want to stop what you are doing just to create compostion.

Neon with multitrack allows you to not have to trigger sequence.

You probably know all this. Just saying. Dont know IOS daws.

• @sigma79 said:

I were thinking to make a setup. Where drambo in aum can use an external keyboard ( or not ) using Drambo per track function and aum filters. I can switch tracks via drambo to control synths etc. Either using Drambo on screen or via midi.

Considered because Iv got the apps. To use Drambo to sequence Neons or loopy recordings.

Or Neon. Where you can save to audio pool. You can then whilst in aum. Drag and drop neon recordings to multitrack recorder. For audio arrangment. So you dont have to sequence recordings out to a Drambo but with Drambo. I guess where you are sequencing just by a keyboard note to trigger audio recordings. You have the benefit of scrolling track on a pattern basis.

I thought I needed a timeline but dont think I do. Just a semi timeline of some audios. Waveforms of these maybe a bonus but triggered via patterns still and automation recording seals the deal.

You might need Drambo anyway. If you think it will be good to switch between synths using Drambo in aum and maybe then also. Using drambo to trigger audio clips. If you have to use aum.

Plus Neon or loopy. Loopy will trigger the same via note and trigger sequenced from Drambo and/ in aum but has the bonus of looping. You arnt always going to want to stop what you are doing just to create compostion.

Hi @sigma79 Yes I have Drambo and haven’t tried running the setup from that yet. The big pull for me is midi FX output to external devices then back in for recording on audio tracks the iPad and iOS apps Midi FX we have a plenty of, not many DAWs let you use them on the same track and record apart from Cubasis 3 and Zenbeats . I believe the others you need 3rd party apps workarounds like StreamByter to record midi within the app itself. Mind even on desktop I believe only Logic lets you route midi fx on the same track. I don’t own Cubase that may do it but all that’s another story. Just wish we had a iPad linear DAW that had decent audio multi routing and midi routing.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@sigma79 said:

Hi @sigma79 Yes I have Drambo and haven’t tried running the setup from that yet. The big pull for me is midi FX output to external devices then back in for recording on audio tracks the iPad and iOS apps Midi FX we have a plenty of, not many DAWs let you use them on the same track and record apart from Cubasis 3 and Zenbeats . I believe the others you need 3rd party apps workarounds like StreamByter to record midi within the app itself. Mind even on desktop I believe only Logic lets you route midi fx on the same track. I don’t own Cubase that may do it but all that’s another story. Just wish we had a iPad linear DAW that had decent audio multi routing and midi routing.

Sorry mate. Not sure about midi. Hope you can find a way.