Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help- Recording midi from midisteps into NS2

I add midisteps as a midi FX to sequence the Obsidian synth. I input notes, press play, I have a sequence. Great!
Then I press record, the sequence plays but the notes are not being recorded into the Obsidian track. Not great!
I checked the forum and found someone reporting a similar issue a couple of years ago and some rather cumbersome workarounds.
So, am I doing something wrong or NS2 will still not record midi sequences from external midi plugins?
This would be quite a pain, since I am mainly interested in sequencing Obsidian.
Thanks!

Comments

• edited June 2022

You may have to use Midi Route.. Seems Cubasis and ZenBeat are the only hosts that can do direct Auv3mfx recording presently..

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

@Robin84 said:
    I add midisteps as a midi FX to sequence the Obsidian synth. I input notes, press play, I have a sequence. Great!
    Then I press record, the sequence plays but the notes are not being recorded into the Obsidian track. Not great!
    I checked the forum and found someone reporting a similar issue a couple of years ago and some rather cumbersome workarounds.
    So, am I doing something wrong or NS2 will still not record midi sequences from external midi plugins?
    This would be quite a pain, since I am mainly interested in sequencing Obsidian.
    Thanks!

Nothing has changed. It's still not possible to record AUv3 midi in NS2 directly. Workarounds are required.

• @RajahP said:
    You may have to use Midi Route.. Seems Cubasis and ZenBeat are the only hosts that can do direct Auv3mfx recording presently..

And Auria Pro.

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

It really can be fairly easy.

• Load the free Streambyter app standalone, outside of NS2
    • Add an External MIDI track in NS2 and send the output to Streambyter. This is the track you want the midi AUv3 on.
    • Set this track to not receive external midi at all, or at least not from Streambyter!
    • Set the track with the app you want to play to receive midi from Streambyter
    • Select this track and you can now record to it.
  • @wim said:

• Add an External MIDI track in NS2 and send the output to Streambyter
    • Set this track to not receive external midi at all, or at least not from Streambyter!

I’m gonna get this tattooed on me! Lol srsly tho,
    I guess you really should put this in the wiki haha

• I could probably type it in my sleep by now. 😂

• @wim said:
    I could probably type it in my sleep by now. 😂

You name it. 😋

• @wim said:

• Add an External MIDI track in NS2 and send the output to Streambyter. This is the track you want the midi AUv3 on.

Just tried this out, thank you!

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

I added a Wiki entry with more details and a video:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=auv3_midi_recording_workarounds#nanostudio_2

• edited June 2022

If you’re on iPad then using MidiRoute that comes in MidiTools is by far the simplest way to do it - as shown by @RajahP ’s post earlier.

However as MidiTools is iPad only - if you’re on iPhone then @wim’s solution works perfectly 👍

There’s also this one posted on the NS2 forum by @dendy a while ago (which is exactly the same way I do it - it’s the same concept as Wim’s but uses MidiFlow instead of Streambyter):

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/989/how-to-record-aufx-midi-out-on-iphone

• I use Dendy's technique too. Sometimes you can even get away with having Midi Route on the same track as the instrument you're trying to control, but it's easy enough to to just add an empty track and have that one do the routing.

• edited June 2022

@attakk said:
    There’s also this one posted on the NS2 forum by @dendy a while ago (which is exactly the same way I do it - it’s the same concept as Wim’s but uses MidiFlow instead of Streambyter):

@wim method is much better cause streambyter is available also for iPhone (Midi Tools are iPad only) !

• @dendy said:

@attakk said:

@wim method is much better cause streambyter is available also for iPhone (Midi Tools are iPad only) !

MidiFlow is iPhone - it’s what I use 👍

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

MidiFlow is great for this too. Same concept, but would have been a little longer to explain the setup so I chose Streambyter. FreeEWI is another app that can work for this. Audiobus and AUM can serve as well.

BTW, Audiobus, AUM, and ApeMatrix can all be used to host NS2 and also host MIDI plugins outside of NS2, while routing their output to NS2. This is another viable way of working around the issue. Sure you have to switch out of NS2 to control the plugins, but it does eliminate the need for an additional track and all the goofy routing setup.

• edited June 2022

@wim said:

That works :smile:
    You’re just a fountain of info wim. Thanks.

• edited June 2022

@attakk said:

yeah i know wrote one article about this possibility too ;)

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/989/how-to-record-aufx-midi-out-on-iphone

anyway - i like simple tools and streambyter looks simpler than midiflow to me, so i like that method more :)

• @dendy said:

@attakk said:

yeah i know wrote one article about this possibility too ;)

anyway - i like simple tools and streambyter looks simpler than midiflow to me, so i like that method more :)

Streambyter does look simpler 👍