Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drambo 2.0 Is The Schrödinger‘s Cat Of iOS

Comments

• edited June 2022

@AppJunky said:

@BirbHope said:
    How likely is a timeline for Drambo in the relatively near future?

You might need to elaborate.

Hrm, I’ve never had to define it before. The term seems to be used on here pretty regularly as something missing from AUM, for example, which makes arranging and composing in linear time in AUM difficult (as opposed to Cubasis or NS2, which have limitations of their own).
    People seem to use the term “timeline” to be the means of marking/keeping/managing linear time in a DAW. You jump to bar 80 or a minute and 20 seconds into the timeline and everything that occurs at that point in an arrangement is there. It is generally traversed by the main transport and all events are arranged on or according to that timeline.
    Actually cokomairena mentioned it earlier in the thread which is why I asked.
    Im fairly new to iOS music and haven’t tackled Drambo yet because of the learning curve. But if it’s missing the same kind of “timeline” that AUM is then I may hold off learning it for a bit. Live performance is not a focus of mine. Mapping things out, arranging and editing them is. For now anyway.
    Like, is the Drambo sequencer more of a clip-based launcher kind of thing or a master transport, in linear time, for the entire song?

• @AppJunky said:

@BirbHope said:

I think people want an editable timeline like other DAWs.

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

@BirbHope said:
    Like, is the Drambo sequencer more of a clip-based launcher kind of thing or a master transport, in linear time, for the entire song?

It has a way to arrange clip playback in linear time. If you're familiar with Gadget, Drambo's clip arranger works very similarly. This is different from a traditional DAW timeline, but does provide the ability to structure songs.

• @wim said:

@BirbHope said:

It has a way to arrange clip playback in linear time. If you're familiar with Gadget, Drambo's clip arranger works very similarly. This is different from a traditional DAW timeline, but does provide the ability to structure songs.

Ah, ok. Thanks wim. I never did pull the trigger on Gadget. But I’ve heard a lot of “conventionally” structured or arranged music made on it. I heard the guy who made Xequence did so as a way of getting around the supplied sequencer.

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

@BirbHope said:

@wim said:

@BirbHope said:

Ah, ok. Thanks wim. I never did pull the trigger on Gadget. But I’ve heard a lot of “conventionally” structured or arranged music made on it. I heard the guy who made Xequence did so as a way of getting around the supplied sequencer.

That's true about Xequence. He wanted to work with a more traditional timeline based approach.

Drambo's Song/Clip Arranger is a grid. Each column represents a track. Patterns can be added to each row and launched either individually or by row. The graphic below from the manual describes it pretty well. It doesn't mention that you can tell it how many repetitions of each row to play as you cycle through them if you're in that mode.

So ... the song "timeline" is arranged vertically and progresses through the rows as you've set them up to sequence through the song.

I hope that helps clarify a little. If not, there are plenty of videos that give a better overview.

• @wim said:

@BirbHope said:

@wim said:

@BirbHope said:

That's true about Xequence. He wanted to work with a more traditional timeline based approach.

Drambo's Song/Clip Arranger is a grid. Each column represents a track. Patterns can be added to each row and launched either individually or by row. The graphic below from the manual describes it pretty well. It doesn't mention that you can tell it how many repetitions of each row to play as you cycle through them if you're in that mode.

So ... the song "timeline" is arranged vertically and progresses through the rows as you've set them up to sequence through the song.

I hope that helps clarify a little. If not, there are plenty of videos that give a better overview.

Actually thats really clear wim, thank you. Looks kind of fun actually. :smile:

• I cant make the sequencer to sync with the green circle pattern.

Using the +-÷× and even Drambo says how many bars it is.

How do you reset so the sequence pattern syncs with the patterns green circle?

• @sigma79 said:
    I cant make the sequencer to sync with the green circle pattern.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but I think the answer is to engage synchronized launch with the little icon that looks like a clock on the right side of the arranger area.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @wim said:

@sigma79 said:
    I cant make the sequencer to sync with the green circle pattern.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but I think the answer is to engage synchronized launch with the little icon that looks like a clock on the right side of the arranger area.

The clock thing is to instant switch pattern or wait for pattern to switch?

Its like the sequencer is set to repeat. The green circle is slow compared to the sequence. How do you make the circle spin or re-spin to sequence length?

• edited June 2022

We don't need a traditional Timeline Editor in Drambo. It's not that kind of DAW. Once you learn to use Drambo for how it is designed, you will realize the inherent power of the app and won't be reliant on more traditional ways of building songs.

The timeline is dead, long live Drambo :smiley:

• I extended bars with the fader thing. Then reduced bars with ÷ or -.

Can you not reduce bars with the fader thing. Is the ÷ or - why the sequencer repeats compared to the pattern loop?

• @echoopera said:
    We don't need a traditional Timeline Editor in Drambo. It's not that kind of DAW. Once you learn to use Drambo for how it is designed, you will realize the inherent power of the app and won't be reliant on more traditional ways of building songs.

Fair enough. And from what wim has shown me there is indeed no need for one. There is another way to organize the chaos which is just fine. Really cool in fact.
    What I don’t need is another environment with no means of organizing a bunch of little thingies and loops and samples and generators and clips and whatnot. However I have grown to love AUM and have been launching Cubasis less and less and will look at Helium or LK for imposing said time-based organizational structure when using Aum.

• @AppJunky said:

@BirbHope said:

@AppJunky said:

@BirbHope said:

Hrm, I’ve never had to define it before. The term seems to be used on here pretty regularly as something missing from AUM, for example, which makes arranging and composing in linear time in AUM difficult (as opposed to Cubasis or NS2, which have limitations of their own).
    People seem to use the term “timeline” to be the means of marking/keeping/managing linear time in a DAW. You jump to bar 80 or a minute and 20 seconds into the timeline and everything that occurs at that point in an arrangement is there. It is generally traversed by the main transport and all events are arranged on or according to that timeline.
    Actually cokomairena mentioned it earlier in the thread which is why I asked.
    Im fairly new to iOS music and haven’t tackled Drambo yet because of the learning curve. But if it’s missing the same kind of “timeline” that AUM is then I may hold off learning it for a bit. Live performance is not a focus of mine. Mapping things out, arranging and editing them is. For now anyway.

Got you 👍 I think you got what you needed from Wim. This is definitely more the Ableton, LK, clip timeline, as opposed to the traditional Cubasis 3, NS2, linear layout.

It took me a minute to switch thinking from horizontal to vertical but copying, editing, and arranging clips in Drambo is really easy.

Giku (or one of the Beta Team) would need to confirm if there’s a plan to implement an additional linear layout.

Logic and GarageBand do both, if you want to have a play.

Yes, thanks. Wim did indeed set me straight. I once again look forward to watching SFM’s 50 or so tutorials :wink:

• @sigma79 said:
    I extended bars with the fader thing. Then reduced bars with ÷ or -.

Can you not reduce bars with the fader thing. Is the ÷ or - why the sequencer repeats compared to the pattern loop?

You have a 16-bar long pattern on the Main track. The longest pattern is what governs the green circle cycle length. Clear that pattern and I think it'll act like you expect.

• @wim said:

@sigma79 said:
    I extended bars with the fader thing. Then reduced bars with ÷ or -.

You have a 16-bar long pattern on the Main track. The longest pattern is what governs the green circle cycle length. Clear that pattern and I think it'll act like you expect.

Cheers wim.

Thats sorted. Thought how would I be sequencing. With this kind of sequencing lol.

• @giku_beepstreet said:

@AppJunky said:
    Sorry @giku_beepstreet how did I skip over this? I think No.1, for a lot of people, is in fact Recording external MIDI eg Scaler 2 etc, direct into a clip without having to resort to workarounds.

The ability to get the MIDI into Drambo, from wherever my initial sketch is, would enhance the creative process immensely.

(I’ve edited the first list to include this at No. 1). 🙏

It's on the list.

FWIW (quite little) I had a thought about this: what if the MIDI I/O for the clip sequencer for a track was represented as a module on the rack, allowing a user to place it anywhere they might like in the chain (say, after a chorder but before an arpeggiator). If it’s all the way to the left, you get the behavior we have today.

• @BirbHope said:

Clip based luncher without transport at all, only play/stop, you can't even pause afaik, and whenever you start from any clip the global transport start at 0:00

It's a very good clip launcher you can mix and match scenes, it has the genius concept that if you duplicate a scene with certain elements muted they don't copy, so you can arrange easily

The problem with not having a timeline is for musical phrases that start before the first beat, it happens to me on leads and vocals.

you have to add them to the end of the previous scene wich makes that scene not loopable xD

Don't be scared of drambo tho, you can use AUv3 and forget about all the modular stuff.

• @echoopera said:

how do you manage musical phrases that start before the first beat?, and notes than span multiple scenes?

• edited July 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @AppJunky said:

@cokomairena said:
    whenever you start from any clip the global transport start at 0:00

Just checking, you know if you disable ‘Start from first pattern’ it will start from any pattern (row) you select?

It’s not anywhere, but better than always from 0:00 👍

I'm aware of that option, but I'm talkign about the transport time, I notice it because I use 4track recorder and when I sync it to drambo, it always start from 0:00, whichever scene I start playing from, and when the scenes loops the transport continues to advance, it doesn't loop, I would like to have the option of an absolute transport time, so I could syn 4track recorder to drambo, however audio suport is planned.

• Kind of first drums with Drambo because of dustbin.

Bought smoov and schlap.

Not sure Id need sidechain for these drums but how and what app would I sidechain kick to bass 808. I chose smoov?

But schlap is already the drum bus compressor.

Can you just sidechain the drum bus compressor ( schlap ) but to kick and 808. Or use an addition sidechain app for just kick to 808?

• edited July 2022

What does this sound like anyway. Its a screen recording and using superlux headphones. Didnt really tweak much.

Bass etc.

I usually go ott with drums. Just to test abilities. Mainly from a volca drum but think the elements are kind of ok or not ott.

• Think I need to lose a drambo track until theres more tracks. To create a drum bus.

• @AppJunky said:

@echoopera said:

I do agree 👍

God give me the confidence! 👍
    It must be a warm fuzzy feeling to know how other people want to work and what they need. 😉

Jokes aside, long live both approaches. But counterpoint to the above: timelines are important, too - if for no other reason, it's good to have some Islands of actual songs left here and there in the ever expanding sea of repetitive blocks of stuff.

• @sigma79 Drambo has its own sidechain compressor.