Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The One-Hour Music Challenge

In about 10 minutes, I'm going to do a one-hour music challenge, where I give myself an hour to craft something uploadable to SoundCloud.

And I challenge you to try this out for yourselves mates. :) Can be any genre. No big surprise, I'm going to create an Ambient piece of music, lol.

Comments

  • edited June 2022

    Bonus points to do a screen record for YT. :)

  • Know what I’m doing tomorrow then… :)

  • @AudioGus said:
    Bonus points to do a screen record for YT. :)

    As if I had time to do that. :lol: Not sure how that would work since I use Bluetooth headphones.

    @Svetlovska said:
    Know what I’m doing tomorrow then… :)

    YES! 😃 Welcome to the party!

  • Okay, and I did it.

    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50733/jwm-todays-ambient-offering-aka-the-one-hour-challenge#latest

    I actually finished in under an hour, and the past 10 minutes were spent uploading the track to Songuard and to SoundCloud.

  • edited June 2022

    Okay. Music mission accomplished. Evil Eye took me 47 minutes in bed this morning before breakfast, from opening AUM to mastered track to AudioShare. I did consider just screen capping everything to prove it, but that would be a hella dull video, not to mention take up waaay too much space on my poor little iPad.

    Started it from my first run through of the free Scaler, a short sequence from that, (‘B Lydian’, apparently, ‘Dark, eccentric, suspenseful’ Who knew?) driving Animoog and FRMS, captured the midi in Atom, captured the audio in File Players, added in Monolit x 2, driven by Particles and Collider, duped and speed shifted the File Players, live performed the mix into AudioShare.

    • BUT - I want some interesting-ish visuals to accompany it as I’ll be posting to YouTube not SoundCloud, so I figure time taken on these don’t count! Should be up in a couple of hours. Keep ‘em peeled… But first: breakfast! :)
  • @Svetlovska said:
    Okay. Music mission accomplished. Evil Eye took me 47 minutes in bed this morning before breakfast, from opening AUM to mastered track to AudioShare. I did consider just screen capping everything to prove it, but that would be a hella dull video, not to mention take up waaay too much space on my poor little iPad.

    Started it from my first run through of the free Scaler, a short sequence from that, (‘B Lydian’, apparently, ‘Dark, eccentric, suspenseful’ Who knew?) driving Animoog and FRMS, captured the midi in Atom, captured the audio in File Players, added in Monolit x 2, driven by Particles and Collider, duped and speed shifted the File Players, live performed the mix into AudioShare.

    • BUT - I want some interesting-ish visuals to accompany it as I’ll be posting to YouTube not SoundCloud, so I figure time taken on these don’t count! Should be up in a couple of hours. Keep ‘em peeled… But first: breakfast! :)

    LOL! Still waiting for the YT vid mate. ;) Link it up here. And, taking time to craft a video doesn't count as part of the hour challenge. You simply need to produce some sort of music within an hour, in any genre. :)

  • edited June 2022

    Well, @jwmmakerofmusic , (since it seems at the moment to be just us two playing this game!) - be careful what you wish for. Took just a bit longer on the visuals than I originally planned. Life will find a way (of interrupting your hobbies) and all that. Any road up: Here it finally is:

    “Once Rook found the right incantation in the grimoire, opening his Third Eye was easy. Only… now he couldn’t stop the visions. Or were they - memories?”

    (See, the trouble with video is I can’t help wanting to create narratives for them, maybe even go and write the whole story out. These things take an inordinate amount of time… ) The next step, which I can reluctantly feel myself moving towards, is narrating the stories over the music and visuals. And maybe even going out to shoot bespoke footage for them. Which will really take a long time… which takes us to the whole drummer/goat herding problem discussed on the ‘Is Scaler cheating?’ thread…

    Footage from Pexels and the free resources at https://archive.org/details/movies and at Videdevo.net, manipulations in CapCut, Glitch Studio and iMovie. Everything made in the box on iPad. I believe I may have mentioned this once or twice already here, but damn, video takes a long time. I’m definitely jonesing for an M1 Pro now…

  • Created 5 different projects in Drambo yesterday in just a few hours only to find out it can’t record the instances of Scaler I had driving the synths 🤦🏽‍♂️.

    At any rate, Thanks for the nudge @jwmmakerofmusic !👊🏽💥

  • Nice track & video @Svetlovska!
    A question, do you have the paid version of Glitch Studio? Is it worth the money?

  • edited June 2022

    @lasselu : hey, thanks for the view, and the comment. :)

    Yes, I have the paid version, and it’s the best bang-for-buck vfx app I’ve found so far. Definitely worth the money as far as I am concerned, the video I just made couldn’t have been done without it - though I guess it is more accurate to allow the audience to judge whether it was worth the money!

    I like that it is just a one off purchase, no weasely in-app payments like Staella, it comes with shedloads of presets, all fully, deeply, tweakable, and it even has a Randomizer which can generate an endless amount of new fx you can save as user presets. I’m coupling it with CapCut, which is free (!) and also comes with shedloads of interesting spot effects which you can place and mess with very easily. So I find I’m compiling the clips in CapCut, placing spot effects, fades, wipes etc, then exporting the whole thing into Glitch Studio and running one of it’s presets or a rando experiment over everything to give it tonal consistency. Maybe top n tail in iMovie to do the title card.

    It’s all still very early days for me in this video experiment, but I’m finding CapCut and Glitch Studio a great pairing, and so much more intuitive to work with than LumaFusion and LumaFX which are both too ‘pro’ for me, I think.

  • @CapnWillie said:
    Created 5 different projects in Drambo yesterday in just a few hours only to find out it can’t record the instances of Scaler I had driving the synths 🤦🏽‍♂️.

    Is screen capping and extracting the audio an option maybe?

  • edited June 2022

    @Svetlovska said:

    @CapnWillie said:
    Created 5 different projects in Drambo yesterday in just a few hours only to find out it can’t record the instances of Scaler I had driving the synths 🤦🏽‍♂️.

    Is screen capping and extracting the audio an option maybe?

    Thanks 🙏🏽! That’s why I love this place. You just inspired a way to unstick those projects while I wait to learn how to execute the StreamByter hack @wim suggested! Screen cap is one way but I’m thinking I should be able to record the audio of each track or master with something like Neon by 4pockets I think which would actually be great because I love working with audio even more than midi.

    Can anyone with Neon confirm this is possible before I grab it?!

    *edit. NEVERMIND. @Svetlovska im gonna do it your way since that’s immediate. Also gonna explore using Drambo module or Koala to sample the scaler track output.

  • @Svetlovska said:
    @lasselu : hey, thanks for the view, and the comment. :)

    Yes, I have the paid version, and it’s the best bang-for-buck vfx app I’ve found so far. Definitely worth the money as far as I am concerned, the video I just made couldn’t have been done without it - though I guess it is more accurate to allow the audience to judge whether it was worth the money!

    I like that it is just a one off purchase, no weasely in-app payments like Staella, it comes with shedloads of presets, all fully, deeply, tweakable, and it even has a Randomizer which can generate an endless amount of new fx you can save as user presets. I’m coupling it with CapCut, which is free (!) and also comes with shedloads of interesting spot effects which you can place and mess with very easily. So I find I’m compiling the clips in CapCut, placing spot effects, fades, wipes etc, then exporting the whole thing into Glitch Studio and running one of it’s presets or a rando experiment over everything to give it tonal consistency. Maybe top n tail in iMovie to do the title card.

    It’s all still very early days for me in this video experiment, but I’m finding CapCut and Glitch Studio a great pairing, and so much more intuitive to work with than LumaFusion and LumaFX which are both too ‘pro’ for me, I think.

    Sounds great! Guess I'll have to buy it then... :)

  • @CapnWillie said:
    Created 5 different projects in Drambo yesterday in just a few hours only to find out it can’t record the instances of Scaler I had driving the synths 🤦🏽‍♂️.

    At any rate, Thanks for the nudge @jwmmakerofmusic !👊🏽💥

    You can record stems of the tracks you want by enabling the upper tape icon and the tape icons on the tracks you want (in the Main track).
    If you want to record the MIDI output, MIDI tape recorder AUv3 is a solid choice.

  • @rs2000 said:

    @CapnWillie said:
    Created 5 different projects in Drambo yesterday in just a few hours only to find out it can’t record the instances of Scaler I had driving the synths 🤦🏽‍♂️.

    At any rate, Thanks for the nudge @jwmmakerofmusic !👊🏽💥

    You can record stems of the tracks you want by enabling the upper tape icon and the tape icons on the tracks you want (in the Main track).
    If you want to record the MIDI output, MIDI tape recorder AUv3 is a solid choice.

    Boom. I can’t believe I missed this. Thanks. Since running into that obstacle I’ve figured out a few other very simple and groovy ways to sample, chop, process audio in Drambo that are even better than had I just been able to record the midiFx in the first place so happy limitation.

    This Drambo is really something else when you commit to it. Thanks again for the stem tip 🫡Sir. That must have just got there in a recent update.

    Next is figuring out how best to set up LK to control Drambo as you mentioned in another thread.

  • Great tracks from @jwmmakerofmusic and @Svetlovska but can’t help think they are a bit heavy 👻 so with the help of my 7 year old niece, a kids app called LoopsequeKids and a quick GeoTenor sax solo we produced this in about 15 minutes 😊

  • @Svetlovska Holy shit this track is monumental, and great work on the video too! I just love how sinister the track sounds. :) Proof that truly great works of aural art don't have to take forever to be crafted. Just requires imagination and drive! And that M1 Pro is a game changer.

    @lasselu Did you check my track yet mate?

    @CapnWillie can't wait to hear what you come up with once you can get some form of audio output. :)

    @GeoTony What a cool track, and introducing your niece to creating music is so wholesome. :) Thanks for sharing. Cheers mate.

  • @Svetlovska said:
    @lasselu : hey, thanks for the view, and the comment. :)

    Yes, I have the paid version, and it’s the best bang-for-buck vfx app I’ve found so far. Definitely worth the money as far as I am concerned, the video I just made couldn’t have been done without it - though I guess it is more accurate to allow the audience to judge whether it was worth the money!

    I like that it is just a one off purchase, no weasely in-app payments like Staella, it comes with shedloads of presets, all fully, deeply, tweakable, and it even has a Randomizer which can generate an endless amount of new fx you can save as user presets. I’m coupling it with CapCut, which is free (!) and also comes with shedloads of interesting spot effects which you can place and mess with very easily. So I find I’m compiling the clips in CapCut, placing spot effects, fades, wipes etc, then exporting the whole thing into Glitch Studio and running one of it’s presets or a rando experiment over everything to give it tonal consistency. Maybe top n tail in iMovie to do the title card.

    It’s all still very early days for me in this video experiment, but I’m finding CapCut and Glitch Studio a great pairing, and so much more intuitive to work with than LumaFusion and LumaFX which are both too ‘pro’ for me, I think.

    I bought Lumafusion when it was on sale. Supposed to be the best and all. It’s not nearly as fun and inmediate as CapCut, GlitchStudio, DAC… You can’t even do VHS/glitchy stuff or a quick mask on Lumafusion. You can, but with layers and more time consuming process.

  • hi all….

    here’s how i spent my hour.

    i used the new app from the zooo “new path” in aum to make it. still not fully clear how “new path” works, but by trial and error i got this out in about 40 minutes with just the app. i already had an effect chain preset saved in aum which worked well with the mood of the song. had the title and photo previously saved in my tickler folder,too.

    i’ll pass on the extra points, though. it’s enough of a challenge just with the audio.

  • @willg said:
    hi all….

    here’s how i spent my hour.

    i used the new app from the zooo “new path” in aum to make it. still not fully clear how “new path” works, but by trial and error i got this out in about 40 minutes with just the app. i already had an effect chain preset saved in aum which worked well with the mood of the song. had the title and photo previously saved in my tickler folder,too.

    i’ll pass on the extra points, though. it’s enough of a challenge just with the audio.

    This makes a beautiful soundtrack!. Well done! 👏

  • Very nice @willg , trial and error worked well for you !

  • @willg said:
    hi all….

    here’s how i spent my hour.

    i used the new app from the zooo “new path” in aum to make it. still not fully clear how “new path” works, but by trial and error i got this out in about 40 minutes with just the app. i already had an effect chain preset saved in aum which worked well with the mood of the song. had the title and photo previously saved in my tickler folder,too.

    i’ll pass on the extra points, though. it’s enough of a challenge just with the audio.

    Beautifully done! I love it. 😍

  • thanks for the nice comments guys. really appreciate it.

  • edited June 2022

    @willg : forty minutes very well spent! Elegaic…

    @GeoTony : only a bit heavy? Must try harder… :) Kind of terrifying in a wholly different way that talented 7 year olds now are making music via their own bespoke loop sequencers! This had the bouncy, summery vibe of the ‘cool jazz’ piano which used to accompany the old Peanuts cartoons.

  • Just out of curiousity. is the challenge limited to only Ios ? or would Pc/mac be permitted aka Ableton ?

  • edited January 25

    Thanks for the challenge, @jwmmakerofmusic. A little daunting for a slow-mover with ocd tendencies, but good for me(I think). Does anyone else dare take it on?Made on cheap headphones in exactly an hour while the baby took her nap. Audiolayer, Paulstretch, Magic Dice, tb eq, MBC, Barricade. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to listen to this half-baked ambient jam…

  • edited January 26

    Missed this first time around, but it’s an interesting concept. I might be able to find an uninterrupted hour at the weekend to try this.

  • @myapologies said:

    Thanks for the challenge, @jwmmakerofmusic. A little daunting for a slow-mover with ocd tendencies, but good for me(I think). Does anyone else dare take it on?Made on cheap headphones in exactly an hour while the baby took her nap. Audiolayer, Paulstretch, Magic Dice, tb eq, MBC, Barricade. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to listen to this half-baked ambient jam…

    This is f*cking incredible! :dizzy: I love it! Well done mate! Thanks for bringing this thread back to life with such a beautiful piece!

    @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Just out of curiousity. is the challenge limited to only Ios ? or would Pc/mac be permitted aka Ableton ?

    I must've missed this. You can use anything you wish, so long as it's done within an hour. ;)

    @michael_m said:
    Missed this first time around, but it’s an interesting concept. I might be able to find an uninterrupted hour at the weekend to try this.

    Best of luck my friend! :)

Sign In or Register to comment.