Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sitala or Koala sampler? | Sitalas true power! | haQ attaQ

2»

Comments

• Is there an option to “copy” or save the samples on the auv3 state? Or are they always just a link?

• @cokomairena said:
    Is there an option to “copy” or save the samples on the auv3 state? Or are they always just a link?

On the desktop we tried that with Logic, and it seemed to save a copy of every sample for every version of the saved file, ballooning the project file up to several gigs, and causing logic to freeze for around a minute on every save.

So, no, we don't do that. But if you save the Sitala kit, the kit itself will be self-contained. Saving the samples in the state seemed interesting to us, but the result of our experiment was that DAWs can't handle that.

• @scotchi said:

@cokomairena said:
    Is there an option to “copy” or save the samples on the auv3 state? Or are they always just a link?

On the desktop we tried that with Logic, and it seemed to save a copy of every sample for every version of the saved file, ballooning the project file up to several gigs, and causing logic to freeze for around a minute on every save.

So, no, we don't do that. But if you save the Sitala kit, the kit itself will be self-contained. Saving the samples in the state seemed interesting to us, but the result of our experiment was that DAWs can't handle that.

Maybe you were saving the whole folder? 16 samples shouldn’t take several gigs

The kit is self contained as a file? I’m interested in state saving just to be able to recover the projects if I move my samples or change setup.

• Bought. Even though I have too many drum apps the file browser in Sitala looks real nice. Duplicating , importing, app sandboxes… we really need to move forward on that. And the UI is to the point and slick.
    Is there any plans/requests to have multiple sample layers (velocity, round robin)?. That’d be huge.

• edited June 2022

@cokomairena said:
    Maybe you were saving the whole folder? 16 samples shouldn’t take several gigs

No, we weren't. It looked like Logic was saving the whole undo history, which meant having the full state over, and over, and over. Since every instance of the state contained a few megabytes of samples, every change -- like every time you moved a knob -- was adding several megabytes to the project file.

I don't remember which other DAWs were problematic, but I remember that there were at least 1-2 other major ones that didn't handle having such a large state saved well. We really liked the idea of having self-contained sets, but the experiment of putting the samples into the state came back as a definitive "doesn't work".

The kit is self contained as a file? I’m interested in state saving just to be able to recover the projects if I move my samples or change setup.

Yes, it is. We save the samples into the kit file.

• edited June 2022

@AudioGus said:

@FastGhost said:
    I love both, but for very different reasons. One big advantage of Sitala so far is that it behaves itself as an AUv3 inside NS2, which Koala refuses to do.

What problems did you have with Koala in NS2? Seemed to work great when I tried.

It won't play the first note and it loses a ton of settings between launches, including which note plays which sample.

• @tahiche said:
    Bought. Even though I have too many drum apps the file browser in Sitala looks real nice. Duplicating , importing, app sandboxes… we really need to move forward on that. And the UI is to the point and slick.
    Is there any plans/requests to have multiple sample layers (velocity, round robin)?. That’d be huge.

Honestly, that's one of the questions we're asking ourselves at the moment. We've got the next few weeks planned out with bug fixes and minor usability improvements, but aren't yet decided which big feature we're going to take a swing at after that. One of the things in consideration is going for multi-layering (which we've tentatively planned for a while).

The couple of things that have us slightly reserved there at the moment is that there's been relatively few requests for that in the iOS app (whereas it's the most requested feature for our desktop version -- I suspect iOS production is tipped towards electronic music more than band recordings...) and would probably take at least 6 months of development to get it right, and we're worried about losing momentum by getting bogged down by that one (important!) feature.

In a lot of spaces we're slower than other developers since we're obsessive about the interface mechanics. Getting multi-layering working is easy. Making the interface intuitive and fast to work with, while keeping it from being more confusing for single-shot users is a lot of work. (Honestly: I haven't seen a single great interface for multi-layered samples out there. I think we've got some ideas that will be easier to use than anything on the market.)

• @scotchi said:

@tahiche said:
    Bought. Even though I have too many drum apps the file browser in Sitala looks real nice. Duplicating , importing, app sandboxes… we really need to move forward on that. And the UI is to the point and slick.

Honestly, that's one of the questions we're asking ourselves at the moment. We've got the next few weeks planned out with bug fixes and minor usability improvements, but aren't yet decided which big feature we're going to take a swing at after that. One of the things in consideration is going for multi-layering (which we've tentatively planned for a while).

The couple of things that have us slightly reserved there at the moment is that there's been relatively few requests for that in the iOS app (whereas it's the most requested feature for our desktop version -- I suspect iOS production is tipped towards electronic music more than band recordings...) and would probably take at least 6 months of development to get it right, and we're worried about losing momentum by getting bogged down by that one (important!) feature.

In a lot of spaces we're slower than other developers since we're obsessive about the interface mechanics. Getting multi-layering working is easy. Making the interface intuitive and fast to work with, while keeping it from being more confusing for single-shot users is a lot of work. (Honestly: I haven't seen a single great interface for multi-layered samples out there. I think we've got some ideas that will be easier to use than anything on the market.)

Hi, thanks for answering and above all congrats on putting out Sitala!

I honestly don’t know why you don’t get more requests for multiple layers on iOS, might be true what you say about iOS production being more focused on electronic music.
    Just a year or two ago I felt like the same was being said for audio clip launchers/loopers auv3’s. We had a ton of midi sequencers, manglers, and all kind of possibilities yet you couldn’t properly integrate audio into an AUM/modular workflow. Now we have Loopy, Neon… It seemed like there wasn’t a need but maybe it was just that audio outside a daw wasn’t even an option.
    Personally I don’t need 30 layers of articulation and intricate editing to sequence super realistic drums. I’m ok with 3 layers (soft, mid, loud) and I might mangle the sound and destroy it. It’s not about being realistic just having a wider palette. Some people use filters extensively to generate movement and variation, I like to use a couple of samples. Plus you could use layers to get variation on electronic sounds too, right?. Like have different snare samples in one single pad/track. Sort of like sound-locks in Elektron. You can use one snare track but a couple of snare sounds.

• The question I immediately asked myself was Sitala or Sample Crate ? Because of the finder integration, Sitala does exactly what I was missing with Sample Crate. It’s a fabulous tool to build my drum kits. But I think I probably never use it as a classic drum machine…

• @jakoB_haQ said:
    Oh and to anyone who might have missed it. Sitala for iOS is cross compatible with the desktop version, which is FREE! Any kit made with Sitala can be used on any platform that can run it basically.

The desktop version is here: https://decomposer.de/sitala/

Great! Thank you @jakoB_haQ!

• i was thinking of getting this app but then i asked my self, what can i do with sitala, that i can’t do already with koala, well nothing really !
    but what can really take sitala to any body work flow would be, to have a glide/slide option on any pad for gliding an 808 for example or any bass sample,
    also a root note key finder for samples,
    will take this to a must have app,
    also to be able to play a sample on a pad on different note keys at the same time, like for playing a hihat sample on pitches at the same time, which it can also help for layering together different pitches of a kick, snare or a clap sample on the same pad, and i know koala has this option already, but combining that together with the root notekey finder and the gliding options will take sitala from an ok app into a must have app,
    plus also for a HipHop, Rap, Trap, Drill, lofi, boombap, R&B, Reggaeton, Dancehall, afrobeats producer like me its a must, to have a repeat trigger with the triplets option included on any sampler, specially on a drumkit sample player like sitala,
    and by the way a timestretch option its a very useful option to have on any sampler

but yes the key features would be to have a glide and the root key note finder option for samples, which it could be what will take sitala from an on apo into a must have app on ios, in my opinion