Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Baby Audio Crystalline coming to iOS

Comments

• @Pynchon said:
    It doesn't matter how much desktop grade pro apps come to iOS.

At the end, the problem is that we don't have a real, full-fledged DAW on iOS. And this has as a consequence that we consider too high prices that on desktop are considered a bargain.

If I get Crystaline in desktop at 49 dollars, I have the option of using this for mixing and mastering, with the powerful automation/modulation tools, and the reliability of a diverse range of well tested and supported DAWs: Ableton Live, Bitwig, FL Studio, Reason, Reaper, Studio One, MOTU Digital Performer, Tracktion Waveform, Logic Pro or Cubase.

Not only that, to do this task of mixing, I can create in my Mac any complex audio setup, combining various audio interfaces with dedicated and well optimized drivers. I can do loopback audio between apps. I can create an infinite number of virtual MIDI ports to connect hosts.

But on iOS, my main use are modular live sessions in AUM, only to have some fun. For this use, an effect that you will use integrated in a modular setup, but you can't integrate in your mixing workflow, 30 dollars is too much.

Even more, as a fun and cool live modular setup, Bitwig is incredibly more powerful and with a lot more of features than AUM.

So at the end, it's like spending 30 dollars in a plugin that you will eventually use in the rare occasion in which you prefer to do a quick session sitting on your couch.

When a company like Baby Audio brings pro and desktop grade tools, they don't have the fault of this perception of the iOS ecosystem.

This only can change if Apple is determined to finally pushing the iPad as a professional music tool.

By porting Logic Pro, by eliminating limitations like only be able to use a single audio interface.

With the release of the AUv3 format, some desktop developers such as Fabfilter, Eventide or Toneboosters came to iOS.

But the scene will never never explode as a real alternative to desktop until we also have a desktop grade DAW, in addition to all these desktop pro grade plugins.

I get your point, but iPad alone is more than studios had 60 years ago.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@Pynchon said:
    It doesn't matter how much desktop grade pro apps come to iOS.

At the end, the problem is that we don't have a real, full-fledged DAW on iOS. And this has as a consequence that we consider too high prices that on desktop are considered a bargain.

If I get Crystaline in desktop at 49 dollars, I have the option of using this for mixing and mastering, with the powerful automation/modulation tools, and the reliability of a diverse range of well tested and supported DAWs: Ableton Live, Bitwig, FL Studio, Reason, Reaper, Studio One, MOTU Digital Performer, Tracktion Waveform, Logic Pro or Cubase.

Not only that, to do this task of mixing, I can create in my Mac any complex audio setup, combining various audio interfaces with dedicated and well optimized drivers. I can do loopback audio between apps. I can create an infinite number of virtual MIDI ports to connect hosts.

But on iOS, my main use are modular live sessions in AUM, only to have some fun. For this use, an effect that you will use integrated in a modular setup, but you can't integrate in your mixing workflow, 30 dollars is too much.

Even more, as a fun and cool live modular setup, Bitwig is incredibly more powerful and with a lot more of features than AUM.

So at the end, it's like spending 30 dollars in a plugin that you will eventually use in the rare occasion in which you prefer to do a quick session sitting on your couch.

When a company like Baby Audio brings pro and desktop grade tools, they don't have the fault of this perception of the iOS ecosystem.

This only can change if Apple is determined to finally pushing the iPad as a professional music tool.

By porting Logic Pro, by eliminating limitations like only be able to use a single audio interface.

With the release of the AUv3 format, some desktop developers such as Fabfilter, Eventide or Toneboosters came to iOS.

But the scene will never never explode as a real alternative to desktop until we also have a desktop grade DAW, in addition to all these desktop pro grade plugins.

I get your point, but iPad alone is more than studios had 60 years ago.

But it's much less than what studios have in 2022 :)

And it's not prepared to do professional tasks that the music industry requires in the present, like preparing your mixes for spatial audio for platforms like Apple Music. Or creating surround mixes for cinema.

And sure, you can work in Cubasis. If you like to spend 100X more time doing common tasks that in real professional DAWS are a breeze.

• @richardyot said:
    I spent half an hour testing it out. It's pretty unique and very cool IMO.

• The UI is excellent, it makes it really easy to dial in your sound, even better than FabFilter Pro-R IMO
    • The beat-syncing is just great, that alone is worth the price for me, you can create some really cool and unique effects on drums and percussion
    • The reverse option is also nice, although not as effective as Blackhole in my testing
    • The shimmer is not a typical shimmer, rather than add octave up it enhances certain selectable frequencies, much more subtle than the usual shimmer, and much more useable and less cliché IMO

It's a beautiful and very useable reverb. For me would be a great reverb to add to guitars and synths, and also use for special effects with the beat-syncing. It wouldn't be my choice for vocals since DDMF MagicVerb is pretty much unbeatable there, and Pro-R is also very good on voices.

I have a lot of reverbs, and all have their own characters, but none seem ideal on a guitar, for some reason. I do not have FabF Pro-R and was just wondering if that might work, but what you’ve described here sounds good to me.

• Ya know i can use a shovel to dig a ditch. But if i really want to dig a lot, I’ll rent a back ho and get it done faster.

The iPad is a tool in the music and arts creation process. It’s as powerful and as limited as you make it.

I’ve finished quite a few things on the iPad and for tracks and art which need that extra special something I’ve ported it over to the desktop.

I don’t see the iPad as a limited device. I see it as an enabling device which helps me to create the work i want. It gives me more freedom to express myself than i ever had in the past when i was bound to the desktop and for me this is the specialness of the platform…i can be creative anywhere and take those creations to where they need to go.

There are no limits when it comes to creativity…just limiting thoughts.

• edited June 2022

@ExAsperis99 said:

@richardyot said:

• The UI is excellent, it makes it really easy to dial in your sound, even better than FabFilter Pro-R IMO
    • The beat-syncing is just great, that alone is worth the price for me, you can create some really cool and unique effects on drums and percussion
    • The reverse option is also nice, although not as effective as Blackhole in my testing
    • The shimmer is not a typical shimmer, rather than add octave up it enhances certain selectable frequencies, much more subtle than the usual shimmer, and much more useable and less cliché IMO

It's a beautiful and very useable reverb. For me would be a great reverb to add to guitars and synths, and also use for special effects with the beat-syncing. It wouldn't be my choice for vocals since DDMF MagicVerb is pretty much unbeatable there, and Pro-R is also very good on voices.

I have a lot of reverbs, and all have their own characters, but none seem ideal on a guitar, for some reason. I do not have FabF Pro-R and was just wondering if that might work, but what you’ve described here sounds good to me.

There is a demo of Crystalline on desktop if that helps, you can take it for a test run.

For guitar, especially lead guitar, I find having a long tail (big space) but with the mix set relatively low gives a really nice texture that sits behind the notes. Crystalline has a ducking slider that is super helpful here, since you can tweak it just right so that the reverb tail doesn't muddy the main guitar signal.

• @echoopera said:
    Ya know i can use a shovel to dig a ditch. But if i really want to dig a lot, I’ll rent a back ho and get it done faster.

The iPad is a tool in the music and arts creation process. It’s as powerful and as limited as you make it.

I’ve finished quite a few things on the iPad and for tracks and art which need that extra special something I’ve ported it over to the desktop.

I don’t see the iPad as a limited device. I see it as an enabling device which helps me to create the work i want. It gives me more freedom to express myself than i ever had in the past when i was bound to the desktop and for me this is the specialness of the platform…i can be creative anywhere and take those creations to where they need to go.

Touché

• @richardyot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@richardyot said:

There is a demo of Crystalline on desktop if that helps, you can take it for a test run.

For guitar, especially lead guitar, I find having a long tail (big space) but with the mix set relatively low gives a really nice texture that sits behind the notes. Crystalline has a ducking slider that is super helpful here, since you can tweak it just right so that the reverb tail doesn't muddy the main guitar signal.

Would you be able to compare this Verb to a pedal verb? I’ve always wanted a Strymon Big Sky…would this Verb get us in this territory?

I’ll download the demo once i get set up this morning. Still futzing about with the kids.

• @echoopera said:
    Ya know i can use a shovel to dig a ditch. But if i really want to dig a lot, I’ll rent a back ho and get it done faster.

Agreed. It really extends rather than replaces what we have at our disposal.
    I also agree with Pynchon that a real, viable iOS DAW is what’s needed more the anything else. One that doesnt get 60% of the way there and then the Dev gets blackpilled and goes away.

• @echoopera said:

@richardyot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@richardyot said:

Would you be able to compare this Verb to a pedal verb? I’ve always wanted a Strymon Big Sky…would this Verb get us in this territory?

I’ll download the demo once i get set up this morning. Still futzing about with the kids.

I wouldn't say it's like the Big Sky, because the Big Sky has got special algorithms such as Chorale and Shimmer that this plugin doesn't emulate. To be honest I think the Big Sky is getting a bit long in the tooth and there are more modern pedals out there that sound better (Walrus Audio R1 for example).

If it's any interest I have a thread where I replicate some of the more exotic reverb and delay pedals using iOS apps, the first post is a Big Sky type Chorale:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/48873/ambient-and-post-rock-guitar-effects-chains/

• @echoopera said:

Why don't have both? :)

The discussions between what's better, software, hardware, iPads, eurorack, desktop, it's absurd. In the same moment that you can do any combination of them, based on what workflow fits better your state of mind.

I'm an iPad advocate: it's an incredible tool. But a tool that I prefer to use as a complement to my desktop setup, working in a similar way to a hardware synth. Indeed, it's an infinite range of creative hardware synths, reimagining the possible interactions to make music.

But there is also the reality of some tasks in the mastering and mixing process that can't be done with an iPad, like surround mix.

And I think that there is some confusion when we talk of music production. Music production has a lot different branches. It's not the same composition or live performing, which excels on the iPad, than mixing or mastering. Where a lot of the tools aren't still there.

Also, I get the fun part of working with limitations. I love to work with limitations, it's great for creativity, incredibly inspiring. But it stops being fun when these limitations slowing down your workflow aren't a consequence of the creative tools that you are using, but are a consequence of things like the terrible management using the Files app. Or confronting things like how to connect various devices that are considered audio interfaces by the device.

• edited June 2022

I dunno. I live in 4 worlds. iPad, Desktop, My Mind and Meat Space. I'm quite content in one or all of them :)

• @richardyot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@richardyot said:

Just realized it requires iOS 15. I’m not sure I want to move on to 15 with my 2017 iPad Pro…

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@richardyot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@richardyot said:

Just realized it requires iOS 15. I’m not sure I want to move on to 15 with my 2017 iPad Pro…

I'm running iOS 15 on a 2017 iPad Pro with no issues. Unless you are going to lose any critical apps I don't think there is any risk in upgrading the OS, iOS 15 is really good.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@richardyot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@richardyot said:

From my experience, there were some minor problems when I updated to iOS 15, like ghost MIDI ports randomly appearing from other apps. But all of those were fixed, and now it's incredibly solid.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    I’ll wait for a sale. I spent $30 on DDMF’s MagicVerb and never use it. AltiSpace, Blackhole, and FAC Alteza all seem to keep me quite happy for now.

That is, of course unless someone has a convincing video or example of why I’d “need” this?

So I was just taking out the trash and I accidentally tripped and fell, with my finger landing right on the purchase button.

Oh well! I’ve got it now!

@Edward_Alexander said:
    I’ll wait for a sale. I spent $30 on DDMF’s MagicVerb and never use it. AltiSpace, Blackhole, and FAC Alteza all seem to keep me quite happy for now.

That is, of course unless someone has a convincing video or example of why I’d “need” this?

So I was just taking out the trash and I accidentally tripped and fell, with my finger landing right on the purchase button.

Ha!

@Edward_Alexander said:

Oh, no, are you OK? I'm always worried this is going to happen to me, especially since I just updated to iOS 15 and it's possib — Oh dear....

I actually really love MagicVerb and use it a lot. Those are probably my top 3 as well though. I also end up using the free AudioKit reverb more often than I thought I would.

@Edward_Alexander said:

😂 don’t ya just hate when that happens?

Btw, what are your thoughts on it so far? I’m afraid to walk for fear of falling myself :wink:

• @Pynchon said:

@echoopera said:

Why don't have both? :)

The discussions between what's better, software, hardware, iPads, eurorack, desktop, it's absurd. In the same moment that you can do any combination of them, based on what workflow fits better your state of mind.

I'm an iPad advocate: it's an incredible tool. But a tool that I prefer to use as a complement to my desktop setup, working in a similar way to a hardware synth. Indeed, it's an infinite range of creative hardware synths, reimagining the possible interactions to make music.

But there is also the reality of some tasks in the mastering and mixing process that can't be done with an iPad, like surround mix.

And I think that there is some confusion when we talk of music production. Music production has a lot different branches. It's not the same composition or live performing, which excels on the iPad, than mixing or mastering. Where a lot of the tools aren't still there.

Also, I get the fun part of working with limitations. I love to work with limitations, it's great for creativity, incredibly inspiring. But it stops being fun when these limitations slowing down your workflow aren't a consequence of the creative tools that you are using, but are a consequence of things like the terrible management using the Files app. Or confronting things like how to connect various devices that are considered audio interfaces by the device.

I agree with you both. I’m actually teetering right on the edge of buying a desktop with Maschine/+ and using that and my iPad only. With maybe one big hardware synth for fun. (Looking at you Polybrute).

• I'd save some money, get a Maschine mk3 instead and use with a computer for hands on, as well as pair with iPad. Mk3 is also an interface.

• @auxmux said:
    Are AU parameters exposed in this? @McD or anyone who got it?

Yes. They are exposed in AUM.

• Someone PayPal me 30 bucks…

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Someone PayPal me 30 bucks…

Do you accept DOGE?

• @NeuM said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Do you accept DOGE?

Ha, I needed a laugh. I’m actually about to launch an NFT site in the bear-ist market, so you’re not too far off the mark! What a bleepstorm in crypto right now.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@NeuM said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Do you accept DOGE?

Ha, I needed a laugh. I’m actually about to launch an NFT site in the bear-ist market, so you’re not too far off the mark! What a bleepstorm in crypto right now.

I got news for you... it's the same story in the stock market. And I thought there would be a clear division between cryptos and stocks in general. That didn't happen. They all rise and fall together, which I find baffling.

• edited June 2022

I like it but not blown away. Has the best freeze function on iOS though, I think, since it can be easily modulated. And nice taste with the shimmer thats actually a shimmer and not a played-out octave up screeching nuisance.

In the end, Pro-R is just too smooth and unobtrusive to go away from based on my admittedly light-on-the-reverb tastes.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I like it but not blown away. Has the best freeze function on iOS though, I think, since it can be easily modulated. And nice taste with the shimmer thats actually a shimmer and not a played-out octave up screeching nuisance.

So Crystalline DOES have shimmer? Does it work well for Ambient? If you say "yes", I'm purchasing as soon as I can. :lol:

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@oat_phipps said:

So Crystalline DOES have shimmer? Does it work well for Ambient? If you say "yes", I'm purchasing as soon as I can. :lol:

Like I said, not in the way you think. I misspoke, and I should’ve called it what it is labeled as—“Sparkle” (not Shimmer). It emphasizes higher frequency spectrum of the reverb. It does NOT do the octave-up feedback added “shimmer” effect.

• @NeuM said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@NeuM said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Do you accept DOGE?

I got news for you... it's the same story in the stock market. And I thought there would be a clear division between cryptos and stocks in general. That didn't happen. They all rise and fall together, which I find baffling.

The markets have spoken! Crypto is more like a stock than a fiat currency.