Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VS - Visual Synthesizer. BEST OF GALLERY

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• +1

I’m not sure that this is my kind of thing. It looks great, but I’m not sure if I’ll ever bother working with it. Do you find it easy and intuitive to get something done? And is it primarily good for dance music with lots of bass and kick drum beating away or can you do more versatile things with it?

• Price is practically free, purchased!

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    Price is practically free, purchased!

Seriously.

• It’s got a learning curve which I’m right at the bottom of so far - I’ve just used tweaked presets, and am not really sure what I’m doing with them! Here’s a couple of links, but I wouldn’t recommend judging it on these:

I’ve seen far better examples on here: have a look for the threads where people are discussing it, as there’ll be some much better examples. My stuff is just baby steps at best.

You can use MIDI to control stuff, and also have it react to audio, either across the frequency spectrum, or specific bands of frequencies. So it’s usable for way more than just pulsating dance music.

They’ve recently added the possibility of importing and editing shaders(?), about which I know pretty much nothing, but it does mean you aren’t just limited to the supplied materials on layers other than the background. But you can’t import video into higher layers. Am not sure if that should have a “yet” or not - it is in constant development.

• @bygjohn said:
    It’s got a learning curve which I’m right at the bottom of so far - I’ve just used tweaked presets, and am not really sure what I’m doing with them! Here’s a couple of links, but I wouldn’t recommend judging it on these:

I’ve seen far better examples on here: have a look for the threads where people are discussing it, as there’ll be some much better examples. My stuff is just baby steps at best.

You can use MIDI to control stuff, and also have it react to audio, either across the frequency spectrum, or specific bands of frequencies. So it’s usable for way more than just pulsating dance music.

They’ve recently added the possibility of importing and editing shaders(?), about which I know pretty much nothing, but it does mean you aren’t just limited to the supplied materials on layers other than the background. But you can’t import video into higher layers. Am not sure if that should have a “yet” or not - it is in constant development.

Thanks! I especially like the second video. I guess you can do cool yet simple things like this and export that into something like LumaFusion and use it as a layer for something else.

• @galmandsværk said:

@bygjohn said:
    It’s got a learning curve which I’m right at the bottom of so far - I’ve just used tweaked presets, and am not really sure what I’m doing with them! Here’s a couple of links, but I wouldn’t recommend judging it on these:

Thanks! I especially like the second video. I guess you can do cool yet simple things like this and export that into something like LumaFusion and use it as a layer for something else.

Yes: you can save the video to Photos or Files. I don’t have LumaFusion, but I’ve been importing the saved video into iMovie to apply fade-in and out to black, and add the titles. Which works fine.

• Everything @bygjohn says applies here too. It’s certainly not just for four-on-the-floor dance music.

• edited June 2022

Thanks for the heads up. I knew there was a potential sale in the works and I just happened to see this post today.
    Thank you. Bargain. Bought.
    The bonus is that it’s also universal!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2022

Edit.
    Opps read the OP.
    These were completed in LumaFusion.

• edited June 2022
  • edited June 2022

• edited June 2022

Nice playing @Gravitas. Can you import images into VS? That would make a huge difference. It looks like Lumafusion does that.

• Her is my VS best. Love the iOS app so just got desktop version but my pic is ten yrs old so running a bit slow. Great price and my fave visual app esp for its stability.
    Titles finished in FL (sorry)

• @AppJunky said:

Edit.
    Opps read the OP.
    These were completed in LumaFusion.

Tut tut…but I think we can let you off, just this once, as you are @Gravitas after all 😊

Thank you.
    🙏🏾
    Phew.😏

Do you have any VS only stuff, what were the main reasons for having to switch out to Luma and what % would you say was VS?

I switched out to LumaFusion simply because of how I envisioned the pieces to be.
    The first piece was my first screen recording of VS Synth superimposed upon
    the footage of me playing my dRambo step sequencer instrument for the first time.

The latter two pieces,
    Voyager and Storm Voyager feat' MiRack comprise of three VS recordings each.
    Two simultaneous screen recordings using stock materials
    and the third using stills which were animated using CC's in real time and
    then the subsequent screen recordings layered in LumaFusion.
    Because of the latency I then went in and edited the screen recordings.

Interestingly enough I can repeat this live with a little bit of latency.
    I've also put together a preset for VS Synth in dRambo which
    treats VS Synth exactly as if it were an audio synth.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Nice playing @Gravitas. Can you import images into VS? That would make a huge difference. It looks like Lumafusion does that.

Yes you can import images into VS Synth using the "Background" layer.
    At the moment it's best to import from the Files app rather than Photos.
    You can also import video footage which is what I did for the latter two pieces.
    I took stills, made very short clip and then animated them using CC's.

• @AppJunky

"Would love to know more about your VS set up in Drambo, if you’re will to share with the group 😉"

My setup is quite straight forward.
    I have VS Synth on one iPad and whatever else on the other iPad sending audio/midi out.
    I prefer to use CC messages and midi notes because
    it provides more control in regards to the visuals.
    Once midi mapped I simply treat VS Synth as a synth.
    I have each layer dedicated to a separate midi channel and
    as I have each layer dedicated to a separate midi channel
    I can use any sequencer that sends out midi which is very useful indeed.

When putting these together I had two separate instances of
    VS Synth running on both idevices and recorded those using
    VS Synth's inbuilt screen recorder which looks great
    when "rendered" and then layered in LumaFusion.

If I had a HDMI visual mixer or similar then
    quite feasibly this could be done entirely live.

Errrmmm I may have to do a video to show how I animate the clips though. 😁

• edited June 2022
  • @AppJunky
    No worries.
    You could do it with one idevice using only samples for the sound
    and as many instances of VS Synth as your machine can handle
    and yes, it is rather involved and yes, no one mentioned a 2nd iPad. 😂
    By the way I've had VS Synth running on four separate idevices. 😏

• I’d have posted a few of mine, but I just don’t have time. Check my YouTube channel.

• Oh, what the heck. One more from me.

• Here’s one I did a while back. I’d say it’s like 98% VS with a little CapCut video editing on top.

• 100% VS here, just get creative with your background layer (here I use a video of my desk with the same VS project running and being displayed on my 27” desktop display, then use said video as the background! ;)

(That’s me playing all of the guitar tracks btw)

• @gravitas said:

Errrmmm I may have to do a video to show how I animate the clips though. 😁

Yes please!

@AppJunky said:
    I think the blending of these images works much better than swirling neon stock animations. I hope @sinosoidal and the team are listening and can implement the video plus Ken Burns & Glitch effects on still images, on multiple layers, that’s being asked for 🙏

Oh yes, yes, YES! (Sorry. Got a bit excited there for a moment.)