Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which tape emulator AUv3s exist on iOS?

Of course I always praise Reelbus, and I've heard about Flytape but never dove into it. What I'm looking for are emulators I can slap on the master buss (not all at once though lol) that can emulate a ratty old cassette tape/reel-to-reel tape. Is Reelbus the best there is? Which do you prefer?

Comments

• Found Chow Tape, lol. I like this better than Reelbus for emulating a ratty old cassette, lol.

• There’s also Klevgrand Cassette, MSXII Lo-Fly Dirt and Caelum Tape Cassette

• edited June 2022

There is Caelum Tap Pro, but I cannot recommend it until they address a very serious audio glitch issue with it first, which I've repeatedly raised with them and it still remains unaddressed. If I recall correctly, it's on their list of things to fix.

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    There’s also Klevgrand Cassette, MSXII Lo-Fly Dirt and Caelum Tape Cassette

Nice! I'll be sure to check those out for my next live Ambient piece. I just finished one with Chow Tape on the master buss, lol. The audio sounds so pleasingly degraded. But Chow Tape can be pushed to extremes very, VERY quickly, and if that's what you're after, by all means. ;)

• @NeuM said:
    There is Caelum Tap Pro, but I cannot recommend it until they address a very serious audio glitch issue with it first, which I've repeatedly raised with them and it still remains unaddressed. If I recall correctly, it's on their list of things to fix.

That really sucks actually. I'd have loved to use it in an upcoming project. I won't bother with that then.

• ReelBus is cool, I have been using it for a decade now.

I use it more for a comp/vibrato than a tape sim.

Good tape saturation is hard to emulate.

• @BroCoast said:
    ReelBus is cool, I have been using it for a decade now.

No kidding. The best way to emulate tape saturation is to record the output of an iPad onto a physical reel-to-reel analogue tape and record it back into the iPad. :lol: But who has money and space for that? (Maybe Brian Eno, but he's not mortal, so he doesn't count lol.)

• Mixbox as Tape cassette, phonograph and saturation-x

• @ecou said:
    Mixbox as Tape cassette, phonograph and saturation-x

AH! Yes, Mixbox. :) I often forget about that app even though it's a good app.

• Chow is the best imo

• In addition to the greats mentioned there’s Time Machine by 4Pockets:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/time-machine-auv3-plugin/id1472980119

I’ve been meaning to get this one for a long time so if you (or anyone) has experience with it please let me know your impression.

• Tap Delay

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ecou said:

Same here I was always forgetting it until I started using it more lately.

• @anickt said:
    Tap Delay

That looks good actually. :)

@Proppa said:
    In addition to the greats mentioned there’s Time Machine by 4Pockets:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/time-machine-auv3-plugin/id1472980119

I’ve been meaning to get this one for a long time so if you (or anyone) has experience with it please let me know your impression.

Ahh, you can always count on 4 Pockets to have something to cover every need in a producer's toolbox. :)

@ecou said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ecou said:

Same here I was always forgetting it until I started using it more lately.

Ah now I see. It has that wicked Pultec emulation in it, and I do love me a good Pultec sometimes. (Although I rarely EQ my sounds when I produce Ambient, just sticking to a simple high-pass filter on most sounds in a mix, lol.)

• No Gauss love here?

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    No Gauss love here?

I meant AUv3s that emulate the sound of old tape. 🤣 Bruh, Gauss is the best tape looper out there, period! Most of my live Ambient productions wouldn't exist without Gauss.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50658/jwm-my-mellow-was-harshed-dark-ambient#latest

Three prepared instances of Gauss are what I used to drive this live production.

• edited June 2022

Fabfilter Saturn has a range of Tape algorithms, though it doesn’t offer a full tape simulation the way that ReelBus does e.g. bias, wow & flutter:

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Of course I always praise Reelbus, and I've heard about Flytape but never dove into it. What I'm looking for are emulators I can slap on the master buss (not all at once though lol) that can emulate a ratty old cassette tape/reel-to-reel tape. Is Reelbus the best there is? Which do you prefer?

… and ReelBus is perfect for master bus, to add a flavour to the entire mix.

• There is also this one from a dusty corner in app-land. RE-1 tape echo.
    Despite the fact it has a tendency to glitch (no audio output), it is still a nice toy to play with.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BroCoast said:
    ReelBus is cool, I have been using it for a decade now.

No kidding. The best way to emulate tape saturation is to record the output of an iPad onto a physical reel-to-reel analogue tape and record it back into the iPad. :lol: But who has money and space for that? (Maybe Brian Eno, but he's not mortal, so he doesn't count lol.)

Ha well I use this:

Think it was 50 bucks. Still use a Tascam Porta One sometimes too.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Chow is the best imo

It's not a matter of opinion: Chow Tape is the best - and this is a large part as to why:

https://dafx2019.bcu.ac.uk/papers/DAFx2019_paper_3.pdf

• After buying the apps I didn't yet buy, redownloading the ones I didn't redownload yet, and testing those and the ones I already have, I have reached a personal opinion: Reelbus and Chowtape are my two favourites. If I want to add a bit of subtle flavour and character to the master buss, that's Reelbus. If I want the master buss to sound like it was recorded on a dodgy old cassette, Chow Tape. Chow Tape is what I used on "My Mellow was Harshed", and it sounds glorious!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    After buying the apps I didn't yet buy, redownloading the ones I didn't redownload yet, and testing those and the ones I already have, I have reached a personal opinion: Reelbus and Chowtape are my two favourites. If I want to add a bit of subtle flavour and character to the master buss, that's Reelbus. If I want the master buss to sound like it was recorded on a dodgy old cassette, Chow Tape. Chow Tape is what I used on "My Mellow was Harshed", and it sounds glorious!

Chowtape can be used for subtle effects, too.

• @espiegel123 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    After buying the apps I didn't yet buy, redownloading the ones I didn't redownload yet, and testing those and the ones I already have, I have reached a personal opinion: Reelbus and Chowtape are my two favourites. If I want to add a bit of subtle flavour and character to the master buss, that's Reelbus. If I want the master buss to sound like it was recorded on a dodgy old cassette, Chow Tape. Chow Tape is what I used on "My Mellow was Harshed", and it sounds glorious!

Chowtape can be used for subtle effects, too.

True, very true. :) It's so easy to push it to extreme extremes too, lol. All in how one uses it. ;)

• There’s a lot of good ones. ReelBus is one I haven’t tried yet but ChowTape is fantastic. I really like Tape Cassette, RE-1, LoFly Tape, K7D, and Time Machine as well. RX950 and PCM2612 are also very good, but more limited. TTAP and Dub by Kymatica also have tape-like effects.

• @HotStrange said:
    There’s a lot of good ones. ReelBus is one I haven’t tried yet but ChowTape is fantastic. I really like Tape Cassette, RE-1, LoFly Tape, K7D, and Time Machine as well. RX950 and PCM2612 are also very good, but more limited. TTAP and Dub by Kymatica also have tape-like effects.

Nice! I'll have to check Dub for sure as I'm looking for a dub tape echo emulator.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:
    There’s a lot of good ones. ReelBus is one I haven’t tried yet but ChowTape is fantastic. I really like Tape Cassette, RE-1, LoFly Tape, K7D, and Time Machine as well. RX950 and PCM2612 are also very good, but more limited. TTAP and Dub by Kymatica also have tape-like effects.

Nice! I'll have to check Dub for sure as I'm looking for a dub tape echo emulator.

Based on a 60ties unit, a cheap & simple (and very overlooked) cool tape echo/delay emulator: https://apps.apple.com/nl/app/lofionic-duplicat/id1128402103

• RE-1 and yaleD