Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone test Cubasis on external display with iPad OS 16?

I'm thinking of getting the iPad OS 16 beta because of the possibility of running apps on an external display, so I was wondering if anybody already tried it, and if it works well?

Is Cubasis resizable and can it use the full external display etc.

Comments

• I tested twice on external display and it first time it showed up vertical orientation in a small corner, second time it stretch to fill the whole screen but again wrong orientation. Seems incompatible so far at beta 1

• edited June 2022

@realdawei said:
    I tested twice on external display and it first time it showed up vertical orientation in a small corner, second time it stretch to fill the whole screen but again wrong orientation. Seems incompatible so far at beta 1

Ok, I will wait until there are more positive tidings .-) Thanks for the reply.

• One thing I'm interested in is...
    ...as It's possible to enable full external display support just by connecting a mouse...

...can the 'on-screen keyboard' on the iPad be used to type into the app that is running on the extended display?

If yes, that would close to perfection, the less dongles we need to carry around the better.
    And no, the overpriced keyboard/trackpad combo is not an option, it's pure greed & lunacy...

• Latest beta fixes the orientation issue for Cubasis and GarageBand on external display. However neither will scale to fill the display both remain floating on the desktop at iPad resolution

• edited August 2022

@realdawei said:
    Latest beta fixes the orientation issue for Cubasis and GarageBand on external display. However neither will scale to fill the display both remain floating on the desktop at iPad resolution

iPad OS Beta 4 is indeed working. It would be magnificent, to have Cubasis use the entire screen for longer track lanes.

Also the 3 little dots center top for the screen menu, conflicts with play and loop buttons. I think thats up to the Cubasis team to fix @LFS ?

• Yes this would be great to be able to do this. Or if I could hide tracks when needed. @LFS hint hint.

• LFSLFS
    edited August 2022

Hi @Diffrenzy,

Thanks for your messages, which I've shared with our engineering.
    Below please find our feedback.

Latest beta fixes the orientation issue for Cubasis and GarageBand on external display.

Excellent... :)

However neither will scale to fill the display both remain floating on the desktop at iPad resolution

iOS keeps the iPad screen’s aspect ratio wenn using an external display. As far as we know, this is managed by iOS and cannot be changed by any app. Or did you find an app that’s full screen on an external display, where other apps (and the home screen) are not?

Also the 3 little dots center top for the screen menu, conflicts with play and loop buttons. I think thats up to the >Cubasis team to fix

Yes, this in our list...

Hope that helps!

Stay well,
    Lars

• @LFS said:
    iOS keeps the iPad screen’s aspect ratio wenn using an external display. As far as we know, this is managed by iOS and cannot be changed by any app. Or did you find an app that’s full screen on an external display, where other apps (and the home screen) are not?

iPad Pro's screen resolution is 2388 x 1668.
    What if you simply implement an 'External display mode' (beyond the Tablet XL mode) in the screen mode menu, which makes the objects on the UI even smaller?
    I use a 24" external display in Full HD mode. I'm absolutely satisfied with its resolution despite it's not as good as the ipad. Stretching the iPad's screen resolution to a bigger screen size wouldn't be an issue IMO from user experience point of view.

• edited August 2022

LumaFusion stretches perfectly on the large screen. So well that it is indistinguishable from a desktop app.

But sometime ago they become made their app resolution fully adaptable / scalable. That’s what’s enabling this to work on the external display.

• edited August 2022

@realdawei said:

LumaFusion stretches perfectly on the large screen. So well that it is indistinguishable from a desktop app.

But sometime ago they become made their app resolution fully adaptable / scalable. That’s what’s enabling this to work on the external display.

For reference, this video shows LumaFusion stretching at 7:05

I’d love to have this functionality for Cubasis as well as improved mouse support (scrolling) so I can use it as a fully desktop DAW when I’m at my desk.

• Just watched the video above and he mentions that audio will only play out of the secondary display? Anyone playing with the beta have any luck routing audio via usb?

• edited August 2022

@Cambler said:
    Just watched the video above and he mentions that audio will only play out of the secondary display? Anyone playing with the beta have any luck routing audio via usb?

Yes, I’ve used it with my Usb soundcard, and it worked fine, even though I think the sound at first came from the screen.

@LFS said:

iOS keeps the iPad screen’s aspect ratio wenn using an external display. As far as we know, this is
    managed by iOS and cannot be changed by any app. Or did you find an app that’s full screen on an
    external display, where other apps (and the home screen) are not?

I have the same observations as @realdavidai , it is up to the developer to take advantage of the new rezizable windows. I have (as developer) two apps in the app store, and the one that is coded to be responsive, alows different window sizes on iPad iOS 16.

• Yes, I’ve used it with my Usb soundcard, and it worked fine, even though I think the sound at first came from the screen.

Thanks so much for the response. So by “usb sound car” do you mean usb interface plugged into a hub or similar?

• edited August 2022

@Cambler said:

Thanks so much for the response. So by “usb sound car” do you mean usb interface plugged into a hub or similar?

Yes, a Motu M4, in a hub, that also outputs the hdmi signal.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgcaluzDJ_k/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• @Diffrenzy said:

@Cambler said:

Yes, a Motu M4, in a hub, that also outputs the hdmi signal.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgcaluzDJ_k/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Awesome! Thx so much.

• edited October 2022

Hey all! Hey lars @LFS I shot you an email today mentioning similar things in this thread. The music production apps that seem to have dynamic and adjustable windows for me so far is: Audio Share, Loopy Pro, Sample Crate, Drambro, and Groovebox. Just to name a few 👍

• wow, cool. did you check AUM as well!? Cant wait for the stable final. release.

@Kites said:
    Hey all! Hey lars I shot you an email today mentioning similar things in this thread. The music production apps that seem to have dynamic and adjustable windows for me so far is: Audio Share, Loopy Pro, Sample Crate, Drambro, and Groovebox. Just to name a few 👍

• @david_2017 said:
    wow, cool. did you check AUM as well!? Cant wait for the stable final. release.

@Kites said:
    Hey all! Hey lars I shot you an email today mentioning similar things in this thread. The music production apps that seem to have dynamic and adjustable windows for me so far is: Audio Share, Loopy Pro, Sample Crate, Drambro, and Groovebox. Just to name a few.

Hey David, I did check AUM, but unfortunately atm it’s rough for me too. 🪨 Let me know if you want me to test other apps.

• @Samu said:
    One thing I'm interested in is...
    ...as It's possible to enable full external display support just by connecting a mouse...

...can the 'on-screen keyboard' on the iPad be used to type into the app that is running on the extended display?

If yes, that would close to perfection, the less dongles we need to carry around the better.
    And no, the overpriced keyboard/trackpad combo is not an option, it's pure greed & lunacy...

I dunno, I assume you mean the Apple keyboard/trackpad combo? It’s pricey but I got it Black Friday for a hundred $ off. It’s cool and convenient

• Thanks man, I think this could be chamegangier, when Hosts are supporting this. Espacially for Cubasis this could really enhance the UX and efficiency. but I guess... I am dreaming too far away ;)

@Kites said:

@david_2017 said:

@Kites said:
    Hey all! Hey lars I shot you an email today mentioning similar things in this thread. The music production apps that seem to have dynamic and adjustable windows for me so far is: Audio Share, Loopy Pro, Sample Crate, Drambro, and Groovebox. Just to name a few.

Hey David, I did check AUM, but unfortunately atm it’s rough for me too. 🪨 Let me know if you want me to test other apps.

• @david_2017 said:
    Thanks man, I think this could be chamegangier, when Hosts are supporting this. Espacially for Cubasis this could really enhance the UX and efficiency. but I guess... I am dreaming too far away ;)

@Kites said:

@david_2017 said:

@Kites said:

Welcome! I think this could be a game-changer too! Imagine multi windows on separate monitors?!! Like on Ableton I sometimes like to have the Session window on my main external monitor and Arrangement view window on another monitor/ ipad. Even possibly better if you use more than 2 displays. 🙏

• The new per app external screen support, is currently removed from iPad OS 16 beta. Apple promises it will be back in a future update. Normal mirroring is stil supported.

• @Diffrenzy said:
    The new per app external screen support, is currently removed from iPad OS 16 beta. Apple promises it will be back in a future update. Normal mirroring is stil supported.

Yeah It’s a bummer, I’m fortunately on an older beta that functions pretty well atm.

• Anyone using the release candidate with Cubasis et al? Just wondering where we are at with an external monitor support seeing as this 16.1 should be released today (well it's the 24th here already!). Cheers.

• @Cambler said:
    Anyone using the release candidate with Cubasis et al? Just wondering where we are at with an external monitor support seeing as this 16.1 should be released today (well it's the 24th here already!). Cheers.

No, not supported on 16.1. Later this year Apple said.

• @Pierre118 said:

@Cambler said:
    Anyone using the release candidate with Cubasis et al? Just wondering where we are at with an external monitor support seeing as this 16.1 should be released today (well it's the 24th here already!). Cheers.

Oh poop! I thought that was one of the big deals of the update. Thanks for the info.

• @Cambler said:

@Pierre118 said:

@Cambler said:

Oh poop! I thought that was one of the big deals of the update. Thanks for the info.

It was, but Apple removed it from the latest beta's. It was also for me a feature I was waiting for.

• edited June 2023

Has anyone tested iPadOS 17 beta to see if the ‘improved window resizing support’ on external display offers an improved experience with CB 3.5? I’m still only getting full screen external display support with native Apple apps and a few others like AudioShare and LumaFusion. CB 3.5 remains floating so far on external display and a bit glitchy on the sizing when launched directly from the external display dock.

2021 11” Pro 8gb, iPadOS 16.4.1

• I'm currently looking into an external monitor and have been looking through the threads. Is there a definitive list somewhere of the apps that support window resizing for external monitors and also how the apps work with stage manager on the external monitor?