Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Demo of TC-Data

edited July 2014 in Creations

I've been messing around with TC-Data. Once you become used to it, the interface can be very expressive with some of the apps and patches.

Using it here with Alchemy Mobile and AUFX:Space running through Audiobus. The audio quality could be better, as I recorded it with an on-camera microphone.

Comments

• Nice piece of performance art. Very chill and hypnotic. Would like to see another with better audio as the crackling is a bit distracting.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome.

• Looks like an interesting & unique app, nice.

• Mister English. Good to see you here. I agree with Mister Telecharge. Your output deserves better output :) But good to see TC-Data in action all the same

• edited July 2014

Thanks for the feedback. The audio is much better on this one. This time I was able to patch into the iPad. Found a Y adapter that let me split the audio between the headphones and camera.

• What configuration was done in TC to make it work ? I see the notes are in a scale ...is it a pain to setup all the midi mappings and scale or there are some templates out of the box for certain things?

• edited July 2014

@thepinkelefant I'm just using one of the built-in presets. There's a wide range of presets included with the app. It has mostly been a matter of playing with a particular preset to get an intuitive feel for how it works and then matching the preset with a compatible synth patch.

• @DavidEnglish very nice performance, thank you!

• @DavidEnglish This is good stuff. What Alchemy bank are you using here?

• @DavidEnglish awesome insight into how to use the presets with synth patches. i was thinking of having to build patches from the ground up to TC-Data mapping but that makes a lot more sense. great videos, thanks so much for sharing!!

• edited July 2014

@JohnnyGoodyear I'm using the Iceland bank, though this particular patch (Piano Geology) is from the desktop version. I took advantage of the 50% off sale to purchase some of the desktop libraries. I imported all of them into Alchemy Mobile. The vast majority of the patches work fine on the iPad. Still exploring them -- slowly, one bank at a time. :)

• @DavidEnglish Thanks. I've got an Iceland thing happening (long story) and so that was one of the first banks I bought, but I haven't (yet) got into the desktop libraries...I just about got up to (slow) speed with TC-11, would you consider Data a large jump? Worth the leap? etc. This isn't a buying question, as I already did that, more an 'is it worth making the effort to really get to grips with Data and/or if one 's familiar with 11 already is it a shorter leap?'

I did notice that Data doesn't have the same 'easy' presets and a simpleton like me has allowed that to put me off somewhat....

I appreciate your insight.

• edited July 2014

@JohnnyGoodyear I can't really speak to the jump from TC-11 to TC-Data. I've used TC-11 only a little, because I preferred the synth patches from my other apps. As a performance app, it's similar in feel to TC-11. Some of the interfaces will be very familiar, as they play in a similar fashion.

The presets in TC-Data are easy enough once you set up a synth app to work with it. Some synth apps won't work initially, but that can be fixed usually by making sure the MIDI channels match and/or switching on Background Audio. That's what I had to do with Alchemy Mobile. That said, when I run Alchemy Mobile through Audiobus, it works with TC-Data with Background Audio either on or off.

I haven't changed any of TC-Data's presets or settings, other than a few display options. I plan to dig deeper into altering the presets, though it's quite playable with no changes at all. Just try out different presets with some of your favorite synth patches.

Hope that helps.

• edited July 2014

As soon as this does state saving and it is saving the midi config I am the 1st one to buy it. I really need this set and forget stuff, I have messy setups and I don't want to waste time with setting things up again.

• @DavidEnglish Helps a lot. Appreciate the sharing of your experience and insight (along with a sweet performance). Am particularly interested in using it with Alchemy and Mitosynth also.

Thanks again. I'll be looking out for your next take.

• edited July 2014

@JohnnyGoodyear It's interesting that you mention Alchemy and Mitosynth, as those are the two apps that I've spent the most time with when trying out TC-Data. Mitosynth works just as well as Alchemy with many of the built-in TC-Data presets. (I especially like the Mitosynth patches from Cinebient.)

• @lala Audiobus state-saving support would make using TC-Data much easier. It would be great to save and share all the links in the chain.

In a earlier discussion on this forum (http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/4879/tc-data-on-the-app-storebitshape/p2) @BitShapeSoft said "This is in my sights. The idea of loading an AB state that opens the synth app / patch / MIDI mappings + TC-Data patch is really attractive."

• Nice, thx for the info :)