Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

CLAP plugins on the iPad?

13»

Comments

• @Korakios said:
    [...]

For making the UI easy to port on different desktop OS

That might be the reason, but I still think it would be a weird choice. Writing GUI based programs in Java is a pain with generally less than ideal results. There are several cross-platform toolkits that would be easier. I guess that back when they started it was a slightly less strange choice, but even then Java was already waning as a client side tech. It only makes sense to me if the Bitwig devs really like Java.

• edited July 2022

@Grandbear said:

@kidslow said:
    I'm probably in the minority here, but when I see developers throwing such an effort behind CLAP when at the same time their catalogs of existing plugins are out of date for many years and still not fully M1 ARM native, it somehow rubs me wrong. Yes I'm looking at u-he and Audiothing. Maybe they can walk and chew gum at the same time, but all I can think is Get your house in order before you go tilting at windmills.

I was under the impression that U-He had updated all of their plugins to be M1 compatible last year. Are you referring to other aspects being outdated?

Nope. There are still longstanding updates to at least Uhbik, MFM2, and Filterscape in the pipeline, none of which has a previous release version that is M1 native. Even the betas date back to 2018. I believe you can find an alpha (for at least Uhbik) that is compiled for ARM.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Korakios said:
    [...]

That might be the reason, but I still think it would be a weird choice. Writing GUI based programs in Java is a pain with generally less than ideal results. There are several cross-platform toolkits that would be easier. I guess that back when they started it was a slightly less strange choice, but even then Java was already waning as a client side tech. It only makes sense to me if the Bitwig devs really like Java.

maybe they where (and are) very experienced with Java .
    I think it will cost too much development time to write new GUI and it has to justify the cost for porting to iOS (plus dealing with constant changes from Apple in every update)

• edited July 2022

@NeonSilicon said:

@Korakios said:
    [...]

In the past I did some UI in Java and Bitwig‘s UI doesn‘t look like normal Java widgets to me. I think it might be some kind of homegrown vector toolkit. Look how nicely it scales and still looks almost identical on all OS platforms.

Update: just did a little research and found some answers. I guess my assumption wasn‘t wrong: https://www.facebook.com/bitwig/posts/676830755689149

• edited July 2022

@Samu said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Unless EU regulators force the ability to install software not on the App Store (eg. JRE), I think you are going to be waiting a long time.

Why do they even bother with Java to be honest...

The JVM is a great runtime and it had been improved for almost 30 years now. It has the great advantage that the code is also optimized at runtime not only at compile time. It’s not a coincidence that the JVM is is used a lot for server and cloud applications. Its ecosystem is vast. But true, nowadays probably Rust would haven been a better choice.

I don‘t know why you are so reluctant to adopt CLAP. In IT things move fast. It is a modern and technically superior plugin format. In the end of the day for consumers it‘s just a plugin that you install and use. So why do you care? But it has a lot of benefits for developers, last but not least that it is an open standard and very well documented. I heard so many stories about the VST SDK crashing often. If it makes things easier for devs, consumers will benefit, too.

• @krassmann said:
    [...]

In the past I did some UI in Java and Bitwig‘s UI doesn‘t look like normal Java widgets to me. I think it might be some kind of homegrown vector toolkit. Look how nicely it scales and still looks almost identical on all OS platforms.

Update: just did a little research and found some answers. I guess my assumption wasn‘t wrong: https://www.facebook.com/bitwig/posts/676830755689149

Yeah, I think when I was poking around in the app bundle before I found that they use the Cairo libs for the UI drawing. But that kinda made it even stranger to me that they used Java since Cairo is used in several GUI toolkits for multiple languages.