Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do you use (the wonderfully esoteric) Spacefields in your tracks?

I'd be lying if I said I understood 20% of what it does but I like just running stuff into the sampler and flicking through the presets and using what comes out as sample fodder. What I wanted to know though is how you use it, like are you running multiple instances in AUM and then processing them? do you feed it tonal or atonal sounds?

If anyone would be kind enough to show their workflows or musings that would be amazing.

Comments

• And I would like to know exactly how you go about getting the sounds out through the sampler - all the samples I’ve made are just dry. I’ve tried on Direct as I though that made the most sense but... help 😁

• @KRPT said:
    And I would like to know exactly how you go about getting the sounds out through the sampler - all the samples I’ve made are just dry. I’ve tried on Direct as I though that made the most sense but... help 😁

The sampler is only in use when using the loopers. I think it makes more sense to look at the sampler part as 2 loop buffers.

SpaceFields really isn’t all that complicated if you break it down into parts, the input runs into the sampler/loop section. There are two loops which can be triggered to record in various ways (auto - triggered by transients, manual - hit the ready button). The length of the loop can be set in beats, before or after recording. The 2 loops then play one after another where you can control the crossfade/transition and go into each of the three delay lines. Each delay line lets you control the pitch, delay rate etc but the interesting part is when you use the pulses to slice up the loops into Euclidean patterns. Add modulation and you’re away with the fairies!

If you start by setting all the knobs to 0 or their default state, play in a simple loop and try to just understand the loop section and one delay line, it starts to click fairly quickly.