Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can someone help me demystify MiRack/the intricate details of modular synthesis?

Comments

• edited June 2022

@Gravitas said:
    Here’s an online Modular glossary

https://learningmodular.com/glossary/

other than that connect things to things and listen to what happens
    if you don’t like what it sounds like try something else and as it’s virtual
    there isn’t going to be the smell of burnt out power supplies
    or hardware if you connect something the “wrong” way.

Cheers!

Learning Modular is definitely on my list of sites to check.

As for just experimenting with connecting things? I think the problem is that without any idea whatsoever about modular, the results aren't perhaps less desirable. Instead, most of the attempts result in absolutely nothing at all. And when modules can have tens of empty sockets, it just ends up like a game of whack-a-mole (albeit without the mole), in pursuit of what ends up being no change at all.

And while you're right, that there is no danger of setting things on fire, there is the very real danger of creating crazy feedback-loops and errant noise-bursts. This makes me nervous when using headphones. While I could easily add limiters for my own builds, perhaps when it comes to trying others' it'd just be easier to run MR within AUM, with a limiter on the main outs.

:)

• edited June 2022

@auxmux said:

@el_bo said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@el_bo said:
    Does MiRack come with built-in patches and tutorials?

237 patches here:

https://patchstorage.com/platform/mirack/

Thanks! I'm aware of those. But I was hoping that there'd be some simple included patches (and there are), that I could use to get used to navigating the interface etc.

Besides, I know myself. If I'm not careful, I'll end up downloading all 237, fuelled by a fear of FOMO and a tendency to hoard. Normally that leads to being overwhelmed and just not using any of it (at least, not to any depth). So, gonna try and be a little more judicious ;)

But if you or anyone else has any suggestions for must-haves (Maybe a top-5), I'm all-ears :)

Download the sequencer I made using Mirack: https://patchstorage.com/aviary/ Use it as a midi fx in AUM to drive other synths, some recommendations included in the description.

Looks great! But I can't work out how to get it into MR. Downloaded 3 times, but it doesn't show up in Files > Downloads. Tried to catch it while d'loading, and pressed "Show". Got hold of the zip, but MR isn't available as an option to forward it to.
    I'm probably missing something very easy, but I'm missing it nonetheless.

Think I need to read up on these things before getting ahead of myself. Will check it out just as soon as i can ;)

EDITED: Ok...Just found this:

Seems I need to unzip within Audioshare. I'm sure I've worked out how to do this, for another app. But have forgotten, in the meantime. Definitely frustrating, on top of the general convoluted nature of iOS, that there doesn't seem to be an agreed-on, established protocol for file management etc.

Anyway...Will take your patch with me on my morning walk. Cheers :)

• Apologies to @jwmmakerofmusic . Wasn't my intention to commandeer the thread. Will add any further questions to an already-established thread, or create one of my own.

For all those who want to make MiRack Patchstorage recommendations, I've started this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50679/mirack-your-top-5-cannot-do-without-desert-island-mirack-patches-on-patchstorage/p1?new=1

• @el_bo said:

@Gravitas said:
    Here’s an online Modular glossary

https://learningmodular.com/glossary/

other than that connect things to things and listen to what happens
    if you don’t like what it sounds like try something else and as it’s virtual
    there isn’t going to be the smell of burnt out power supplies
    or hardware if you connect something the “wrong” way.

Cheers!

Learning Modular is definitely on my list of sites to check.

As for just experimenting with connecting things? I think the problem is that without any idea whatsoever about modular, the results aren't perhaps less desirable.

That's why the glossary is first.

Instead, most of the attempts result in absolutely nothing at all.

This is normal until you gain the necessary knowledge.

And when modules can have tens of empty sockets, it just ends up like a game of whack-a-mole (albeit without the mole), in pursuit of what ends up being no change at all.

Both dRambo and MiRack have descriptions for the modules and
    then there's Mod Wiggler and YouTube for lengthy explanations and tutorials.

And while you're right, that there is no danger of setting things on fire, there is the very real danger of creating crazy feedback-loops and errant noise-bursts. This makes me nervous when using headphones. While I could easily add limiters for my own builds, perhaps when it comes to trying others' it'd just be easier to run MR within AUM, with a limiter on the main outs.

It's good practice to keep the volume low when creating a patch etc
    also MiRack has a compressor or two inbuilt so use you could try using those.

:)

🙏🏾

• @el_bo said:
    Apologies to @jwmmakerofmusic . Wasn't my intention to commandeer the thread.

It's all good. The point of any thread I make is for us to learn together. :) Whether that's a thread starting out with my own questions, or a thread about some sonic creation I make. So ask away here. :)

• “It's good practice to keep the volume low when creating a patch etc
    also MiRack has a compressor or two inbuilt so use you could try using those.”

Yes, I strongly advise putting a Limiter module at the end of every patch. The first thing I do when creating a patch is to load my mixer of choice and connect the outputs to a Limiter.

• @Spidericemidas said:
    “It's good practice to keep the volume low when creating a patch etc
    also MiRack has a compressor or two inbuilt so use you could try using those.”

Yes, I strongly advise putting a Limiter module at the end of every patch. The first thing I do when creating a patch is to load my mixer of choice and connect the outputs to a Limiter.

Definitely! Probably one of the first things worth doing is creating a template with a mixer of your choice and the BogAudio Limiter already wired up to the audio outputs, and maybe Clocked, as you’ll probably use that a great deal. Save the patch, then copy/move it into the On My iPad/MiRack/Templates folder using Files. Then when you use New From Template in MiRack, open that template up and you’ve already got the basics and safety in place.

• edited June 2022

@Gravitas said:
    That's why the glossary is first.

Where's the fun in that? ;)

@Gravitas said:
    This is normal until you gain the necessary knowledge.

Indeed.

@Gravitas said:
    Both dRambo and MiRack have descriptions for the modules and
    then there's Mod Wiggler and YouTube for lengthy explanations and tutorials.

So far, only looked at a few of the descriptions. Similar to Reaktor, they're only descriptions of function. But I wasn't expecting much more, and they're still helpful. I know that I'm gonna have to eventually dig in and learn at least the basics, before frustration sets in. But for the moment, I'm just enjoying playing with others' patches.

To start with, I've decided to follow Dean's (Electonisounds) and SoundForMore's tutorials, as they're specifically working with MiRack. That way, I'm assured of having exactly the same modules. Once I understand they 'why' of the modules, it should be easier to make substitutions for modules that aren't available cross-platform.

@Gravitas said:
    It's good practice to keep the volume low when creating a patch etc. also MiRack has a compressor or two inbuilt so use you could try using those.

@Spidericemidas said:

(To both of you) Agreed! Like I said, when it eventually comes to my own builds they'll be amongst the first things to add. But when it comes to others' patches (at least for the moment), seems easier to just host in AUM rather than try to squeeze a limiter into an already-bustling patch. Besides, hopefully I'll find that many already have them in-place ;)

@bygjohn said:
    Probably one of the first things worth doing is creating a template with a mixer of your choice and the BogAudio Limiter already wired up to the audio outputs, and maybe Clocked, as you’ll probably use that a great deal. Save the patch, then copy/move it into the On My iPad/MiRack/Templates folder using Files. Then when you use New From Template in MiRack, open that template up and you’ve already got the basics and safety in place.

Thanks! Makes sense, and reminds me that I should really start making an AUM template. Such a waste of time to keep starting, from-scratch.

P.S Your user-name got me all nostalgic for my childhood ;)

jwmmakerofmusic said:
    It's all good. The point of any thread I make is for us to learn together. :) Whether that's a thread starting out with my own questions, or a thread about some sonic creation I make. So ask away here. :)

Thanks, man! I'm also open for threads of mine to develop organically, like any conversation would. But I understand that many don't feel the same, and many really don't appreciate their threads being de-railed.

Wanted to check. Appreciate the answer :)

• @el_bo said:

Well, that’s a new one one me - I’m from the UK, don’t think that programme crossed the pond!

• @bygjohn said:

@el_bo said:

Well, that’s a new one one me - I’m from the UK, don’t think that programme crossed the pond!

I'm also from the UK ;)

I only really remember the theme tune, and only really the "Big John, Little John" part. Turns out it aired in 1976, so I was only 4-years-old (Must've aired later in the Uk than in the US, though).

Anyway...Turns out it was broadcast on the Queen's BBC, no less :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_John,_Little_John

• edited June 2022

@el_bo said:

@bygjohn said:

@el_bo said:

I'm also from the UK ;)

I only really remember the theme tune, and only really the "Big John, Little John" part. Turns out it aired in 1976, so I was only 4-years-old (Must've aired later in the Uk than in the US, though).

Good lord. I’d have been doing my O Levels that year (it was the year of the crazy heat wave). Passed me by completely, though.

• @el_bo said:

@bygjohn said:

@el_bo said:

I'm also from the UK ;)

I’m from the U.K. also and this totally passed me by.

• Seems I need to unzip within Audioshare. I'm sure I've worked out how to do this, for another app. But have forgotten, in the meantime. Definitely frustrating, on top of the general convoluted nature of iOS, that there doesn't seem to be an agreed-on, established protocol for file management etc.

I usually open miRack patches by “sharing” them to myself from email or whatsapp. Airdrop is also easy. As long as they’re .mrk, not zipped.

Anyway...Will take your patch with me on my morning walk. Cheers :)

If you use Holon.ist, you can have the patch controlled by your walking, see patchstorage.com/author/holmium

• @bygjohn said:
    Good lord. I’d have been doing my O Levels that year (it was the year of the crazy heat wave). Passed me by completely, though.

O levels!?! Damn, man! The thought of exams gives me shivers :(

@Gravitas said:

I had you down as younger ;)

@conkers said:
    I usually open miRack patches by “sharing” them to myself from email or whatsapp. Airdrop is also easy. As long as they’re .mrk, not zipped.

Useful tip. Will give it a try.

@conkers said:
    If you use Holon.ist, you can have the patch controlled by your walking, see patchstorage.com/author/holmium

Aah...So that's what that is all about.

Saw lots of patches on PS (Seems the developer is quite prolific), but didn't look any further into it. Seems like a cool idea. Not workable for me, at the moment though (Phone audio is on the fritz). I suppose I could try it with the iPad. But I'm kinda spreading myself too thinly, I think, when it comes to learning all this stuff ;)

Cheers!

• @el_bo said:

@Gravitas said:

I'm young at heart and old in spirit.

I was 50 last month. ;)

• @el_bo said:

@conkers said:

Saw lots of patches on PS (Seems the developer is quite prolific), but didn't look any further into it. Seems like a cool idea. Not workable for me, at the moment though (Phone audio is on the fritz). I suppose I could try it with the iPad. But I'm kinda spreading myself too thinly, I think, when it comes to learning all this stuff ;)

If you want to try it and have two devices on the same network, our free Holon app sends some default mappings that automatically work with the Holonic miRack patches.

You can then turn off the phone speaker and use it as a controller. There are a few weather mappings etc also. Remember to activate Link in both apps (Holon and miRack on other device), press ok when prompted in Holon.

It's available from: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1352687747

Speaking of outdoor use, Holonist has a data recording function that lets you play back sensor data from the walk for further use, e.g. synthesising the data afterwards. Syncing with camera footage is easy, record the button press in Holonist on video for reference, trim and line up audio & video. We use Lumafusion for this.

• @Gravitas said:

@el_bo said:

@Gravitas said:

I was 50 last month. ;)

Well...Happy Birthday then. Here's to our 50's :)

• @Conkers said:

@el_bo said:

@conkers said:

If you want to try it and have two devices on the same network, our free Holon app sends some default mappings that automatically work with the Holonic miRack patches.

You can then turn off the phone speaker and use it as a controller. There are a few weather mappings etc also. Remember to activate Link in both apps (Holon and miRack on other device), press ok when prompted in Holon.

Speaking of outdoor use, Holonist has a data recording function that lets you play back sensor data from the walk for further use, e.g. synthesising the data afterwards. Syncing with camera footage is easy, record the button press in Holonist on video for reference, trim and line up audio & video. We use Lumafusion for this.

So you're the developer? Cool!

Will definitely keep it in the back of my mind. Might even watch some videos on the app (Perhaps give me your best links). But like I said, I've got too much to learn already.

All the best :)

• @Conkers said:

@el_bo said:

@conkers said:

Hey, @Conkers. What's the difference between Holon with free purchases, and Holon.ist priced at 13.99 euros?

Has the free Holon app the same functionality once you buy the two IAPs?

I always wanted to try the weather features, didn't know that there was a free version :)

• @el_bo said:

@Gravitas said:

@el_bo said:

@Gravitas said:

I was 50 last month. ;)

Well...Happy Birthday then. Here's to our 50's :)

Likewise. :)

• @el_bo said:

Will definitely keep it in the back of my mind. Might even watch some videos on the app (Perhaps give me your best links). But like I said, I've got too much to learn already.

Let me know if you need assistance, it's not that much to learn. I find it's more about the synthesis part really. Here are some clips of Holonist and miRack used outdoors:

https://youtu.be/fHJ9RNneu_A

• @Pynchon said:

Hey, @Conkers. What's the difference between Holon with free purchases, and Holon.ist priced at 13.99 euros?

I always wanted to try the weather features, didn't know that there was a free version :)

The free Holon app is a standalone demo of Holonist, it runs a PureData patch as an onboard synthesis engine. It sends some default mappings that cannot be edited, as well as clock via Ableton Link. Holon's IAP's are only to support wearables, they are included in Holonist.

Holonist allows you to configure and edit any mappings, giving you access to device sensors, wearables and weather readings.

Weather is fun to sonify but the weather service update rate is very slow. This can be improved once we have more users. Some things are realtime, like barometer pressure from the phone and temperature (with a compatible sensor). Sun and moon position are also tracked in realtime.

• @Conkers said:

@Pynchon said:

The free Holon app is a standalone demo of Holonist, it runs a PureData patch as an onboard synthesis engine. It sends some default mappings that cannot be edited, as well as clock via Ableton Link. Holon's IAP's are only to support wearables, they are included in Holonist.

Holonist allows you to configure and edit any mappings, giving you access to device sensors, wearables and weather readings.

Weather is fun to sonify but the weather service update rate is very slow. This can be improved once we have more users. Some things are realtime, like barometer pressure from the phone and temperature (with a compatible sensor). Sun and moon position are also tracked in realtime.

Thanks, @Conkers . Then I will save my time, going for the full version of Holon.ist.

I'm fine with the slow rate of weather. I have a project for an installation, using weather data to degrade the sound. And it's intended to sound continually for months :)

• @Pynchon said:
    I'm fine with the slow rate of weather. I have a project for an installation, using weather data to degrade the sound. And it's intended to sound continually for months :)

That actually sounds hella interesting. :) What apps are you using to achieve the installation? Where will the installation be held?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Pynchon said:

That actually sounds hella interesting. :) What apps are you using to achieve the installation? Where will the installation be held?

The only thing that I can say is that it will run in a fanless Linux system, using the standalone version of VCV Rack 2. Unless I can find a reasonable option to include weather data using Cardinal. Then, it will run on a Raspberry Pi 4. In this project, the energy efficiency is a fundamental part.

• @Conkers said:

@el_bo said:

Let me know if you need assistance, it's not that much to learn. I find it's more about the synthesis part really. Here are some clips of Holonist and miRack used outdoors:

https://youtu.be/fHJ9RNneu_A

Thanks! Looks like interesting tech. But the learning and to-buy list is currently too long. One day, perhaps. Thanks for the video link. The speed-ramping reminds me of this ;)

• This is definitely a comment late in the conversation, but I highly recommend using the Submarine LA-108 Logic Analyzer module. You can see what waveforms are doing as they occur. Also, read Sound on Sound’s Synth Secrets.

• @playinmyblues said:
    This is definitely a comment late in the conversation, but I highly recommend using the Submarine LA-108 Logic Analyzer module. You can see what waveforms are doing as they occur. Also, read Sound on Sound’s Synth Secrets.

Yea that module helped me a ton when I started with MiRack and I still load it in every patch today when I want to see how CVs interact together. Great advice 👍

• Oh by the way…
    I’m offering 1-2-1 lessons for iPad Modular these days. ;)

• edited February 29

Hi everyone.
    I am new user of mirack .

I can't find a rack in mirack , way to control other apps running in the background.
    A rack that contains knobs or faders and pad switches, And to be able to choose a specific midicc number and channel output for those knobs for and send them to the desired app knobs , that support midi learn .

And the knobs ones that have minimum and maximum range , means that we can create minimum and maximum range for them , for sending cc values.

I want to use mirack as midi controller for controlling other apps knobs or parameters . .