Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg iWavestation vs. Wavestate Native vs. Wavestate hardware

I have iWavestation on my iPad, and I'm interested in Wavestate Native (or maybe Wavestate hardware) but only if it's a meaningful improvement over iWavestation.

1. Does Wavestate Native sound significantly different / better than iWavestation?

2. Does Wavestate Native have sufficient functionality so that any good MIDI keyboard controller will give you an equivalent feature set as compared to Wavestate hardware?

3. Is Wavestate Native easy to setup with most any good MIDI keyboard controller?

4. Wavestate Native is $200 whereas Wavestate hardware can be purchased used for about $450. Am I correct in assuming that with Wavestate hardware you get the advantage of dedicated knob twiddling, meaningful resale value, and a keyboard, with the disadvantage of some menu diving?

5. My gut tells me I would have way more fun with Wavestate hardware than Wavestate Native, plus I would not have to worry about configuring a MIDI keyboard controller, but my practical side says that since I already have a good MIDI keyboard controller, plus I can avoid menu diving, that Wavestate Native is better, and my super-practical side says that maybe iWavestation on my iPad is good enough, or there is some other iOS app which equals Wavestate Native for less cash.

Got any thoughts?

Comments

• Haven't used Wavestate Native with a midi controller, but it sounds great! It's a vast improvement over Wavestation. I have both. Wavestate is super deep and an amazing evolution of Wavestation.

I recommend downloading the demo. It's very straightforward to use, and after using it for a while, I think the hardware seems like menu-diving hell. I haven't used the hardware though.

Save "some" money and get Opsix too. :) Also, get EvolverFX by 4pockets. It's like Wavestate as an AU and really well done.

• edited June 2022

Hi auxmux,

How have you used Wavestate Native if not with a MIDI controller? Is it functional enough as a stand-alone, and if so how do you play it via the app? Or do you just set it up and then let it do its generative thing, so you do not control it much if at all?

The demo I saw of the Wavestate hardware, is with loopop playing the keyboard and twiddling the knobs in real-time. I must admit that if the Wavestate hardware has tons of patches already available, and given it has a randomizer, I might not be doing a lot of menu diving, but I am not sure about all that, however it now has an editor, so menu diving?

• edited June 2022

I'm with @auxmux here. I've used them all and in terms of available sounds, Wavestate is far ahead of iWavestation. The Wavestates come with more and better sampled instruments and custom sample import, for which the Wavestate has more flash memory on board than iDevices have.
    It also has more choice in its filters, mod matrix and other areas so although iWavestation is still a very flexible and powerful synth, Wavestate is better in many regards.

The hardware has a lot of knobs for realtime control and although some people call it plasticky and complain about the lack of aftertouch, I find it a fun box and I don't think that I'll sell it soon. If I had to decide between an Opsix and a Wavestate, I'd get the Wavestate and import enough FM samples into flash memory to work with.

A nice trick is to import sliced breakbeats, guitar riffs, bass licks etc. and use the wave sequencer to construct new versions of them.

• @puppychumful I'm using as a VST in Ableton.

• Thanks rs2000, as a hardware guy from way before DAW's existed, I do like the muscle memory aspect of a performance.

Hi again auxmux, I have Ableton Live, and if I buy Wavestate hardware, I can buy Wavestate Native for $50!

• Yup, that's an option too. Cheaper to get opsix and wavestate but understand the preference for hardware.

• edited June 2022

As to the OPSIX, I had a Yamaha DX7 when they first came out and I've been pretty much FM'ed to death over the decades. It seems to me that sample playback can now replicate much of FM synthesis, although I gather this 6 operator synth puts a new spin on things.

If I was going to get some sort of software synth for Mac or PC , I think I would be firstly tempted by Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.

• Pretty happy with my hardware Wavestate. A lot of the fun is in twisting those 8 white Mod knobs. You'll probably need a damper pedal to sustain a chord/notes to free up both hands for the knob twisting.

I'm also happy with these preset packs that I bought:

• My favorite is Modwave

• edited June 2022

@puppychumful said:
    I have iWavestation on my iPad, and I'm interested in Wavestate Native (or maybe Wavestate hardware) but only if it's a meaningful improvement over iWavestation.

1. Does Wavestate Native sound significantly different / better than iWavestation?

Yes, very clearly. Many substantial improvements. The Qui Robinez courses on YouTube will show you very well the evolutions.

1. Does Wavestate Native have sufficient functionality so that any good MIDI keyboard controller will give you an equivalent feature set as compared to Wavestate hardware?

No, I don't think so because the hardware version is a real instrument with all the possibilities very well arranged under the fingers. I'm also very surprised how much I get a better sound with the hardware.

1. Is Wavestate Native easy to setup with most any good MIDI keyboard controller?

I'm happy with the built-in keyboard so I haven't tested it with an external controller yet.

1. Wavestate Native is $200 whereas Wavestate hardware can be purchased used for about $450. Am I correct in assuming that with Wavestate hardware you get the advantage of dedicated knob twiddling, meaningful resale value, and a keyboard, with the disadvantage of some menu diving?

Yes, you are right. Once I understand the logic of the menus, it is no longer a problem and I find it much more productive than the software version

1. My gut tells me I would have way more fun with Wavestate hardware than Wavestate Native, plus I would not have to worry about configuring a MIDI keyboard controller, but my practical side says that since I already have a good MIDI keyboard controller, plus I can avoid menu diving, that Wavestate Native is better, and my super-practical side says that maybe iWavestation on my iPad is good enough, or there is some other iOS app which equals Wavestate Native for less cash.

You should listen to both your instincts and your practical side. Indeed, the software version seems to me complementary for 50$ more: it allows me to prepare sessions to continue on the hardware version from my hammock and a laptop

Got any thoughts?

If you can buy the hardware and the software with the coupon included with the hardware. The lessons by Qui Robinez are about Wavestate hardware and Wavestate Native software, so if you take time to take a look your choice will be enlightened!
    Last: the software that are coming with the hardware (editor/librarian and Sample builder) are excellent. The ability to prepare your own multisamples and transfer them into the hardware is an endless source of fun!

Hope this helps.

• @puppychumful said: if I buy Wavestate hardware, I can buy Wavestate Native for $50!

You mentioned the option to buy Wavestate hardware secondhand. I believe its 1 discount license per hardware unit. So make sure to check if previous owner hasn’t already bought Native himself.

• edited June 2022

@rs2000 said:
    for which the Wavestate has more flash memory on board than iDevices have.

Really? How much on board flash memory does the Wavestate hardware have?

• edited June 2022

"Does Wavestate Native sound significantly different / better than iWavestation?' Yep. It does.
    But don't get a Wavestate. It's a massive time sink. One minute you think I'll just have a 5 min blast and then it's suddenly hours later.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@rs2000 said:
    for which the Wavestate has more flash memory on board than iDevices have.

Really? How much on board flash memory does the Wavestate hardware have?

4GB they said. I've never tried reaching that limit yet.

• edited June 2022

Much obliged guys, I'm thinking this beast might be fun, as it seems there is no equivalent software / hardware that can get these particular morphing timbres. Or is there? I do have I have iWavestation on my iPad, but y'all have convinced me Wavestate is a worthy upgrade.

cyberheater tells me it's a massive time sink; well, that's not unlike the nature of the human condition.