Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps tp remove reverb from a sample and bring it to the front more

2»

Comments

• FAC transient will take off the verb tails.

• edited June 2022

Yes, it‘s a quick and dirty, quite efficient method.
    But it will leave the sound impression just as it was before, only with less decay.

The apps from Acon, Zynaptiq and Sonible go significantly deeper:
    they can adjust the perceived distance of the source and the virtual space‘s acoustic color. Even automate a transition from something that approaches and passes the listener.
    Some noise recorded at regular distance may appear way in the background or right in your face.

Sonible‘s proximity:EQ+ seems to feature UnVeil + Unfilter functionality under a single hood for a very competitive price.
    (thanks @waka_x for mentioning them)

• McDMcD
    edited June 2022

@pr4y_4_beats said:
    heres the sample im working with

I got good results with 1 app... "Spatializer". So good I used it twice to get more bass. Then I added the mastering tool "Bark Filter" with the Tripleband preset and the limiter turned on.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spatializer/id1574889552

A recorded a session with your Wave file in the AUM File Player:
    1. 5 seconds of no FX added
    2. 5 seconds of 1 Spatializer
    3. 5 seconds with 2 Spatializer
    4. and finally, Bark Filter "Tripleband" added to tame the over all EQ

Here are my knob settings. I just tweak them until I'm happy:

• This app is the best transient designer (or is it the only one?) in the appstore. :)

• edited June 2022

@McD said:

@pr4y_4_beats said:
    heres the sample im working with

I got good results with 1 app... "Spatializer". So good I used it twice to get more bass. Then I added the mastering tool "Bark Filter" with the Tripleband preset and the limiter turned on.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spatializer/id1574889552

A recorded a session with your Wave file in the AUM File Player:
    1. 5 seconds of no FX added
    2. 5 seconds of 1 Spatializer
    3. 5 seconds with 2 Spatializer
    4. and finally, Bark Filter "Tripleband" added to tame the over all EQ

Here are my knob settings. I just tweak them until I'm happy:

Speaking of the Bark Filter app... anyone know of any AU plugins for M1 Macs which duplicate the function of this app? Sure would be nice if Harry Gohs brought this one to desktop.

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@maxwellhouser said:

@pr4y_4_beats said:

i hate gates.. i dont understand them well enough and end up with a choppy distorted sound. its because i cant wrap my head around ratios i think. i KINDA maybe understand threshold its the cutoff point. and attack is how quickly the gate shuts release is how slowly it opens again, but ratio throws me off. its the same with compressors. no matter how many copy and pasted infographics i see on instagram about them i just dont get what the ratio does in a compressor...

do you think he meant noise gate or just a regular gate, or both?

@pr4y_4_beats ratio is just how much the sound is turned down (after the sound hits the threshold level). Higher ratio means more gain reduction, lower ratio is less gain reduction. Same for compressors and gates. You can kind of think of ratio as “amount”.

ok, thanks! this makes sense!

Not necessarily. Ratio gates don’t always use the term ratio, although that’s still what it’s doing, so if you don’t see ratio look for something that says “range.”

But, if you are a visual person, think of a gate on a fence- you can open and close it a small amount or all the way. Range/ ratio is telling it how much to close the gate when the threshold is reached. So if your range is 3db, whenever the signal goes below the level you set, the gate turns the volume down 3db more. Attack and release tell it how quickly to do that and how quickly to let go. If your range is set to -60 or something like that, then it shuts the sound off whenever it falls below the threshold.

My friend taught me a cool trick with gating for live sound where you set the gate on channels to reduce 3 db or so with a fairly low threshold (meaning they only do this when not much sound is present on the channel)- great for multiple headset mics, drum mics, things like that. He showed me this while we were mixing a musical, and between this and automix we got a really clean mix and minimal phasing between mics.

So, think of this:
    Threshold tells your dynamic processor (compressor, limiter, expander, gate, de-esser) when to go to work.

Attack tells it how quickly to go to work

Ratio/ range tells it how hard to work when it does work (in the case of ratio, in theory on a 3:1 ratio for example, for every 3 db of signal over the threshold, the dynamics processor squashes it down so it’s only 1db over. If 6db came in, 2 come out, etc. In theory)

Release tells it how quickly to stop working/ return to rest once the threshold is no longer exceeded.

One other factor is knee, which means that you are telling the dynamics processor to ease into work in a certain style. Soft knee says if the threshold is being approached or just crossed, the dynamics processor uses a lower ratio than stated, and as more signal goes over the threshold it uses a higher ratio. So it pushes back less at sounds that are slightly over the threshold, then pushes back harder as more sound comes at it. A hard knee means it acts at that ration as soon as the threshold us crossed, so it applies equal and opposite pressure to whatever is coming over.

I hope that made sense.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

This app is the best transient designer (or is it the only one?) in the appstore. :)

It's pretty great, especially the "Kill The Room" setting. I use it all the time for drums, which I can then customize with my own reverb and echo settings.

• @pr4y_4_beats could try “LetsUnmix” It seperates audio using Neural AI technology . It’s also now built in Koala Sampler.
    Also 4pockets Sideband remix.
    I often chop samples then replay into a loop to get rid of unwanted FX

• edited June 2022

@pr4y_4_beats Izotope RX has a De-verb tool built in. I used it for a spoken vocal sample on a recent project and it seemed to remove a good amount of reverb, though not all, but the result was definitely an improvement. I think there's a free 10-day trial available, at least there used to be.

• edited June 2022

I have some recorded guitars that were recorded a long time ago. I am trying to Reamp then with Amplitube but the reverb in the original recording is being amplified by Amplitube.

What i did was use Amplitube noise gate with the tightest settings and that did a decent job. Would a transient designer give me better result?

I have never used or own a Transient designer.

Lol edited because auto correct replaced transient with transit. 🙂

• @ecou said:
    I have some recorded guitars that were recorded a long time ago. I am trying to Reamp then with Amplitube but the reverb in the original recording is being amplified by Amplitube.

What i did was use Amplitube noise gate with the tightest settings and that did a decent job. Would a transient designer give me better result?

First off, try using free app "Tonebridge Guitar Effects" (for both iOS and macOS) and see what happens.

• edited June 2022

@NeuM said:

@ecou said:

First off, try using free app "Tonebridge Guitar Effects" (for both iOS and macOS) and see what happens.

Tonebridge sounds terrible and I was asking about transient designer.

• I found this neat video explaining how to deverb by making a copy or the wave file. Inverting the phase of the copy and putting a compressor.

• That‘s essentially the same as using FAC transient (or any other such app) that does the job by just 1 dial movement, shorten the decay part... in realtime ;)

• @Telefunky said:
    That‘s essentially the same as using FAC transient (or any other such app) that does the job by just 1 dial movement, shorten the decay part... in realtime ;)

Or really that's what transient designer do. I don't know much about transient designer that's why I was asking earlier. Thanks for your reply

• Compressors and „transient designers“ in fact do the same thing: alter the loudness curve of a signal.
    A TD can do a rather detailed processing in a very short amount of time. It was a big story when SPL released the 1st software version back about 20 years ago, modeled according to their 19“ device named Transient Designer.
    Soon you found it on literally every sample drum kit and the name became a synonym for the process or type of plugin.