Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mozaic Scripts in AUM: Bryan Appel's "Clusters", "Meesha" and 3x "Stepster4K"

McDMcD
edited June 2022 in Creations

In Clusters the only thing I'm touch are the Presets "up" and "down" Pads. Clusters is getting it's MIDI input from 1 of the "Stepster4K" scripts.

In "Meesha" I'm improvising on the PAD intervalic "keys" along with 3 "Stepster4K" scripts and Lumbeats "Indian Drummer".

Comments

• Listening to this I noticed the “Clusters” generally support the pulse but a couple Presets
    Are strongly rhythmic but fighting the pulse. The notes @Bryan put on patchstorage indicate he used Euclidean math for the rhythms which deserves opening his script to see how he built it. I wish we could lure him back to teach us more about his use of math in his creations.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2022

I found the section of the “Clusters” script that calculates the Euclidean rhythms:

for i = 0 to (Abs steps - 1)
        bucket = bucket + beats
        if bucket >= steps
          bucket = bucket - steps
          Log{YES}
          euclid[i] = YES
        elseif bucket < steps
          Log{NO}
          euclid[i] = NO
        endif
      endfor

This is a visual way of representing what this code is doing to place the notes in a sequence of steps:

You keep stacking the number of beats into a bucket the size of the sequence.
    If the bucket overflows put a Pulse/Beat in that Step and put the excess dots into the next bucket. Steps 2, 5 and 7 in this image overflow or equal the number of steps.

You could also describe a process using subtraction of the beats from the steps:

Steps = 10
    Beats = 3

1:  10 - 3 = 7 that’s an empty slot
    2:  7 - 3 = 4 empty
    3:  4 - 3 = 1 empty
    4:  1 - 3 = -2 PULSE carry the -2 over to the next bucket sop start with 8
    5:  8 - 3 = 5
    6:  5 - 3 = 2
    7:  2 - 3 = -1 PULSE carry the -1 and start the next bucket with 9
    8:  9 - 3 = 6
    9:  6 - 3 = 3
    10: 3 - 3 = 0 PULSE

Once you get a pattern of 1’s and 0’s you can rotate it as you see fit.

The beats are in slots 4, 7 and 10. So they could get rotated.

0001001001, or 1001001000, or 1000100100, etc.

Bryan left a pointer to a math paper in his script description to:

http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publications/banff.pdf

• Bravo @McD ! It sounds like you've really delved into the inner workings and was able to make some musical sense from Clusters. It really worked well with the tuned percussion. I like your use of "real" instruments more than synthy sounds. There's just a lot of complexity and resonance to them.
    One thing I can't deal with is coding/scripting. My brain balks at it but I appreciate the problem solving.

• @Stochastically said:
    Bravo @McD ! It sounds like you've really delved into the inner workings and was able to make some musical sense from Clusters. It really worked well with the tuned percussion. I like your use of "real" instruments more than synthy sounds. There's just a lot of complexity and resonance to them.

Thanks for the comments. I'm warming up to the video "screen capture" performance
    way of sharing on the forum.

One thing I can't deal with is coding/scripting. My brain balks at it but I appreciate the problem solving.

It's not for everyone but using the scripts is not much harder than figuring out one of the programmable MIDI generators like the great Bud apps @cem_olcay produces. What's really effective is to ask the programmers to build you a specific tool. It usually leads to a custom solution for some MIDI-based problem.

• My brain shuts off when I see the word “Mosaic” in a thread, as this is something I basically don”t get. I guess I also confuse it with “generative” apps. Can you give me a breakdown of the kinds of programs folks have created by category?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Can you give me a breakdown of the kinds of programs folks have created by category?

I'd have to take on the project of categorizing the apps and to be honest... I don't think anyone cares.

Every app I have published has been lucky to generate one user that provides feedback.
    The best feedback is the "virtuous loop" where updates are requested to tweak or add features.

Any creator here on the ABF knows the joy of positive feedback and the crushing toll of
    a round of indifference. Finding artists to support and encourage is one of the defining features of the generous cultural landmark called the ABF on the vast desert of internet intolerance.

• Sounds great @McD !
    Any chance that your "screen capture performance" could have a slight tutorial feel? Like, maybe you go could fairly slow so that the uninitiated could follow it and learn from it?
    Someone recommended Clusters as a possible iOS alternative to a Max for Live device called "Spike", which I use a lot in Ableton,....but like @LinearLineman , my brain struggles with the idea of Mozaic scripts.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Can you give me a breakdown of the kinds of programs folks have created by category?

For a categorized list of all Mozaic scripts including a short description, have a look at this wiki page

• @Kashi said:
    Sounds great @McD !
    Any chance that your "screen capture performance" could have a slight tutorial feel? Like, maybe you go could fairly slow so that the uninitiated could follow it and learn from it?
    Someone recommended Clusters as a possible iOS alternative to a Max for Live device called "Spike", which I use a lot in Ableton,....but like @LinearLineman , my brain struggles with the idea of Mozaic scripts.

That might get more engagement. I tried to talk one of the video teachers into doing a series on Mozaic and it never happened. Making a good tutorial takes a lot of dedicated effort and
    I'm probably not going to do it but I will slow down and expose more of the actions producing the sounds.

This video has 93 views but I'm sure all the blinking PAD's mean nothing to watchers but they do animate the music experience because the lights flash with the sounds.

• @_ki said:

@LinearLineman said:

For a categorized list of all Mozaic scripts including a short description, have a look at this wiki page

@_ki You have put so much effort into creating a directory of Mozaic scripts. Thank you for doing it.

@_ki has 39 Mozaic scripts and many are they are crafted with dedication to excellence and quality.

• @McD said:

but I will slow down and expose more of the actions producing the sounds.

Great, thanks!

• Thanks for the comments. I'm warming up to the video "screen capture" performance
    way of sharing on the forum.

Today, screen capture performance , maybe in a near future, jamming on Endlesss.fm with AppleJax and the gang hahaha that would be so cool

• Hi McD,
    This is truly interesting, and very lovely product.
    There is a bit of oriental flare in this soundscape.
    I love the beats created.
    Hi-quality recording.
    Thanks for this!
    Rene

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    Hi McD,
    This is truly interesting, and very lovely product.
    There is a bit of oriental flare in this soundscape.
    I love the beats created.
    Hi-quality recording.
    Thanks for this!
    Rene

Thanks for your comment here and on many creations on the forum. Your studio impressed me so I looked for details on it with Google. I see you have a Catholic music ministry ( if that is the correct word) and a collection of videos on YouTube. Music must be at the heart of your world along with a certain carpenter. Thanks again for taking the time to listen.