Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zoom R20: hardware multitrack recorder with touch screen. Are you interested?

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/digital-mixer-multi-track-recorders/multi-track-recorders/r20/

Although an iPad with the right apps has so much more to offer, I feel a little bit of GAS for this one. Probably because an iPad loaded with apps and connection to the internet has the downside of getting distracted and not recording anything. I’m curious what you think…

Comments

• Hmm. Interesting design choice they went with the inputs. Only two multifunction, the rest mike style. If it had been the other way round, then maybe. But then I remembered that I have an Akai Force which with an ssd inside provides pretty much unlimited audio recording. And sequencing. And synths. And drums. And controls for modular. And a lot more besides…

• edited June 2022

I own the R8, I wrote a bit about it here, at the bottom

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24072/anyone-using-zoom-r24-or-r16-with-ipad

I think the R8 is a better deal price wise. If money is no problem, the R20 gives you a touch screen and an internal (FM?) synth you can program. I read something about less efx possible, and some other trades compared to the older R models.

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=255116

This is a quote:

"Apparently you can only use three effects "units" at one time. Compare this with the old R series recorders, which could use 7 for the insert effects. You have a choice of send or insert effects, but you can't use both at once.

The synth section has a whopping 18 presets and a PCM drum kit, which seems ridiculously underpowered in 2021. You apparently can't edit them at all, and you can only have one synth patch playing at a time. It's velocity sensitive, but doesn't recognise pitch bends or modulation commands. If you want multiple synths sounds you can convert a synth track to an audio wave and record a new synth part. It doesn't output MIDI from its sequencer via its USB jack. Which is too bad given that it actually has a piano roll editor for the synth. You can export SMF files of your sequence.

Unlike the older R series recorders there isn't an onboard mastering algorithm for your mixed down project. There also isn't a function that allows you to build a playlist and play back your saved projects in a specific order. It doesn't have pads to play sample tracks and rhythm sounds like the R24 and R8, and it doesn't have a control input for a punch in/out footswitch like the R8. I find myself wondering if you're trading off audio and data processing power for the lovely multicolour touch screen."

In my opinion it is always nice to operate a multi track recorder (R8/16/24/20), if you have some plan in advance, and treat is (mostly) as a closed box system.