Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

USB hub for M1 MacBook Pro

I just got one of these, first MacBook I’ve actually bought myself for work so taking it slowly getting it up and running…

One of the main things I can’t google out an answer on is which USB hub to get; the machine only has three USB C ports, and I’ve gota whole bunch of USB gear to attach (mainly USB 2 I think, from synths/sequencers to CV MIDI adapters and Korg sq1 type things) . I’ve looked at the Anker 10 port ones, but they’re USB 3 and have a warning that some MIDI things might not work with them, so I’m starting to think that a USB 2 one with a large amount of ports (>7) would be best.

Any recommendations/guidance?

Comments

• I use Elektron’s Overhub. Not cheap, but 100% reliable so far. It’s plugged into a USB-A port on my Thunderbolt hub, but with an adapter or appropriate cable you could plug it straight into the MacBook Pro

• Interesting, cheers Charlie, and looking online it’s not that much more expensive than other options I’ve been looking at…

• I’m a huge of the Pluggable hubs, always work great and stable though I don’t know if they have a USB-C option so you might need an adapter.

If you want something with more options for connectivity, I’m very happy with my CalDigit TS3+. Pricey, but my entire studio basically runs through that and it’s never let me down.

• I have a couple of fairly old Pluggable USB 3 hubs. They have worked fine with a USB-C to USB-B cable with Macs and iPad as host. They've worked both powered and unpowered when using USB-C on the host side. I've never had any MIDI issues with them.

• Nice one, those plugable ones look interesting too, though I’m leaning towards the elektron as they’re available in a local shop in Bradford, plus brand recognition/tell of the devices to be connected are theirs…

• I did get the Elektron one, which is pretty solid so far, but I now need another for the graphics side of my life - I've two desks in my studio, one with all the sound gear and big monitor speakers, and one with the big screens... this one looks like it'll work a treat, but I'm wondering if it will also work with a CCK on my iPad Air 3 (lightning connector) or if there's on way I'll get both in one device. I'm thinking that I could get away going away without a laptop if I can plug in an SSD and copy SD cards from my camera over just using my iPad, maybe even watch a movie on a stormy day as well...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZVKTP53/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PGPJL0BBLHLX&psc=1

• edited September 2022

@Krupa said:
    I did get the Elektron one, which is pretty solid so far, but I now need another for the graphics side of my life - I've two desks in my studio, one with all the sound gear and big monitor speakers, and one with the big screens... this one looks like it'll work a treat, but I'm wondering if it will also work with a CCK on my iPad Air 3 (lightning connector) or if there's on way I'll get both in one device. I'm thinking that I could get away going away without a laptop if I can plug in an SSD and copy SD cards from my camera over just using my iPad, maybe even watch a movie on a stormy day as well...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZVKTP53/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PGPJL0BBLHLX&psc=1

That USB-C dock will not work with a Lightning connector and the Apple CCK. The USB-C video and power delivery profiles are not compatible with Lightning. There are 3rd-party Lightning docks that include SD card readers and can attach a USB drive. You might even find one that includes HDMI video as well.

Edit: Apparently this does work: USB-C hub to USB-C to A adapter to Lightning USB-3 camera adapter. Of course, the USB-C-specific features, like power delivery, don't work, but the basic USB parts do. See posts below.

• @uncledave said:

@Krupa said:
    I did get the Elektron one, which is pretty solid so far, but I now need another for the graphics side of my life - I've two desks in my studio, one with all the sound gear and big monitor speakers, and one with the big screens... this one looks like it'll work a treat, but I'm wondering if it will also work with a CCK on my iPad Air 3 (lightning connector) or if there's on way I'll get both in one device. I'm thinking that I could get away going away without a laptop if I can plug in an SSD and copy SD cards from my camera over just using my iPad, maybe even watch a movie on a stormy day as well...

That USB-C dock will not work with a Lightning connector and the Apple CCK. The USB-C video and power delivery profiles are not compatible with Lightning. There are 3rd-party Lightning docks that include SD card readers and can attach a USB drive. You might even find one that includes HDMI video as well.

Ah that's a shame, nice one though, I guess two devices will be necessary... I'm not too bothered about HDMI out of the ipad, just USB and SD, like I say, copying files and watching the odd movie, maybe I'll even take my old nanokontrol and drambo some nights away :)

• I just got that Anker btw, and connected to the USB 3 Camera adapter with power going into both that and the hub, I was able to connect an SD card, a USB SSD and my ICA 4+ all at the same time, and the iPad was being powered B)

• @Krupa said:
    I just got that Anker btw, and connected to the USB 3 Camera adapter with power going into both that and the hub, I was able to connect an SD card, a USB SSD and my ICA 4+ all at the same time, and the iPad was being powered B)

Do you mean the USB-C Anker hub you linked? How are you connecting it to the USB-3 Lightning adapter? If that works, it's a good thing to know.

• @uncledave said:

@Krupa said:
    I just got that Anker btw, and connected to the USB 3 Camera adapter with power going into both that and the hub, I was able to connect an SD card, a USB SSD and my ICA 4+ all at the same time, and the iPad was being powered B)

Do you mean the USB-C Anker hub you linked? How are you connecting it to the USB-3 Lightning adapter? If that works, it's a good thing to know.

Yeah, just with a USC C to USB A physical adapter...