Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PolyBud - Multitrack Polyrhythmic AUv3 MIDI Sequencer [Out Today]

Hi everyone, I'm very excited to announce that my new app PolyBud is released to the app store! It's a multitrack polyrhythmic sequencer - but what is that?

• You can add as many note or cc tracks as you want.
  • Each note track has the note, velocity, gate, ratchet, probability and randomisation modes.
  • Each track has their own MIDI Channel so they can control different synths.
  • Each track can run in different sequencer rate.
  • CC tracks are great for modulating synth parameters.
  • And the cc steps can be ramped (or 0% ramp for a classic sample and hold effect)

And the most important feature of the app,

• You can set different step lengths to the each mode!
  • That introduces the polyrhythmic variations immediately and its crazy fun!
  • Like 9 steps of notes, 5 steps of gate, 6 steps of velocity, 13 steps of probability in a track.
  • Add another track of 7 steps of notes, 8 steps of gate, 4 steps of velocity etc

It was one of the most requested features for my sequencers to be able to set the different step lengths. I didn't want to complicate the super-easy workflow of my other sequencers so I end up creating a new one just for that purpose.

I think it's a great, very fun and easy-to-use sequencer so it's definitely a bud app! But I have to admit that programming such a complex sequencer was a challenge. Each track has multiple modes, and each mode basically run its own sequencer. So it's kind of a very deep 3D-sequencer. I'm sure you can find some bugs or break the app somehow if you want, so I'm looking forward to hear your feedbacks, thoughts and feature requests on this one, thanks!

http://keybudapp.com/polybud
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/polybud-polyrhythmic-sequencer/id1624211288

Comments

• Demo please. Video overview even better.

• @eross said:
    loving this thing so far. so how do you remove a note or cc track from the l/h side bar?

You can remove the tracks from the settings menu 👍

• Hi @cem_olcay - I got this as it looks like it would offer a convenient way of triggering Atom 2 patterns and maybe trigger events in other apps without having to mess with piano rolls. It would be very useful to me if I could adjust "Rate" to something longer than 1/1 so that notes could trigger for longer than one bar - maybe up to 16 or 32 bars? I expect this would also appeal to people who like to add drones or similar to their pieces. Thanks!

• How can you select/set presets in standalone mode?

I can see Factory presets in AUM. When I try to save one with my pattern I get:

“Missing key in preset state map”.

• edited June 2022

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Hi @cem_olcay - I got this as it looks like it would offer a convenient way of triggering Atom 2 patterns and maybe trigger events in other apps without having to mess with piano rolls. It would be very useful to me if I could adjust "Rate" to something longer than 1/1 so that notes could trigger for longer than one bar - maybe up to 16 or 32 bars? I expect this would also appeal to people who like to add drones or similar to their pieces. Thanks!

Yeah, this...
    I'd love this for all the buds...

• Start/stop sync for Ableton Link for standalone would be awesome, similar to SnakeBud.

• Congratulations @cem_olcay

Does this one have sample offset? Will it be incorporated in all future apps?

• @McD said:
    Demo please. Video overview even better.

Sound for more has one up on the YouTube

• edited June 2022

I’ve been using StepBud to trigger pattern changes and, yeah, having the ability to set step to 4 or 8 bars would be very useful in that or this app. Basically, I’m using these step sequencers to map out song sections.

• You had me at "probability" and "randomisation". Was producing some Ambient in Loopy Pro, but now I feel is time to dive back into AUM and see what new stuff I can concoct in that. Maybe some Ambient, or Minimal Techno. (I can't believe it's been a year since I posted "Painted Infection" to Soundcloud, lol. Jeez!)

• edited June 2022

Just grabbed it. Each track you create can send a monophonic midi sequence or cc messages and you can create many tracks. It’s like stepbud but you can have ten stepbuds or more in one instance of the app. Making for cool polyrhythms and experimenting. Also it’s better for playing drums. So while there are some similarities it’s been updated, enhanced, and gives you the ability to send out many notes or cc on individual midi channels. There’s a few good videos on the YouTube, The sound test room has one, and sound for more has one.

• @lasselu said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Hi @cem_olcay - I got this as it looks like it would offer a convenient way of triggering Atom 2 patterns and maybe trigger events in other apps without having to mess with piano rolls. It would be very useful to me if I could adjust "Rate" to something longer than 1/1 so that notes could trigger for longer than one bar - maybe up to 16 or 32 bars? I expect this would also appeal to people who like to add drones or similar to their pieces. Thanks!

Yeah, this...
    I'd love this for all the buds...

Agreed. adding a 2/1 and a 4/1, 8/1, 16/1 would be great, maybe a 3/1 too.

@cem_olcay any thoughts on extending the time length you can set per step. It’s Especially critical for using the cc to trigger song patterns, or bud app patterns. But also for the midi notes being triggered.

You can add a bunch of 1/1 at the same amount, but adding longer times will speed up workflow, and allow you to do more with less. Ya know. Cheers man.

• Instabuy!👍🏽🧔🏼🙏🏽

So - the different step lengths results from different note tracks? I cannot set different step lengths in one note track?🤔

• edited June 2022

@Satie2 said:
    Instabuy!👍🏽🧔🏼🙏🏽

So - the different step lengths results from different note tracks? I cannot set different step lengths in one note track?🤔

No but you can set many tracks, Each note track has a universal step length in bottom right. But each note track u set up can have its own individual length.

• Step lengths are the amount of notes, not the length. Each parameter can have its own amount of steps, if you have 8 notes and 4 velocity steps, the velocity steps will go through twice for each time it goes through 8 notes. definitely watch a video, they break it down rather nice.

• It would be great @cem_olcay if you could minimize/maximize each tracks parameters. That way when you have like 7-10+ tracks it’s easier to navigate through. Cheers!

• Probability and randomisation controls for CC tracks would also be neat

• So what can this do that I can't accomplish with multiple instances of StepBud?

• @lasselu said:
    So what can this do that I can't accomplish with multiple instances of StepBud?

Ramping the CCs is additional. And the workflow with more tracks and different rates between all kind of tracks ….

• Ah ok, thank you...

• edited June 2022

I bought it this morning and had a really nice session in combination with pure piano, zeeon and tera pro. Thank you @cem_olcay for another great app which leads to interesting, sometimes annoying and most importantly unexpected results 🤪.

items on my wish-list so far:
    - copy paste note- and cc-tracks
    - (much) longer notes than 1 bar
    - possibility to edit(prepare) a (new) pattern without activating it - this would be a game changer for live sessions at least for me :)
    - copy/paste patterns without activating it -> same as above
    option to override the global setting within a note track:
    - root note
    - scale
    - step length per note

Thanks again for your great work 🙂

• @lasselu said:
    So what can this do that I can't accomplish with multiple instances of StepBud?

What @Satie said. Plus, sure you could load 8 stepbuds but not only does it make your session complex, and complicated, it surely adds a lot more to the DSP. This way it’s all housed in one app, easy to look at each track, and see what your doing. trying to coordinate 8-10 stepbud instances and getting things the way you want it would be tedious.

• Good point, so I bought it... ;)

• Oh wow this lil Buddy is fun, and super interesting! Well worth the price…

• Polybud is missing a very useful generative tool - a note offset parameter. It would be set up in the UI just like the number of ratchets parameter from say -12 to +12. The offset is added to to the current note, quantized to the current scale and that is the MIDI output. This generates some very interesting musical results when the the number of notes and number of offsets are different.

My favourite sequencer Kria which runs on Norns has this feature - I love it.

• I’m feeling tempted… hard to reeeeesist

• After 1 long sweet session I really like it. Had a polyrhythmic lead going with 3 tracks to moodunits clean guitar, with Rhino, then added a bass line track. You can really control and create a lot of different things with this. It’s Pretty dope and there’s lots of creative possibilities. Heck use it to drive drums if you like. I gotta say I definitely recommend it. One of @cem_olcay finest due to the sheer amount of tracks you can send Notes or CC out on. Each on their own midi channel.

My only thing is nothing longer then 1/1 per step aka 1 bar. please sir @cem_olcay add longer amounts to the time setting. I know you can add more steps but it’s different, I really wanted to be able to add a 2/1, 3/1, 4/1, even 8/1. All those additions would be really great for holding long notes/chords (chords built with multiple tracks), playing drums, clip launching, or working with CC.

• @rheslip said:
    Polybud is missing a very useful generative tool - a note offset parameter. It would be set up in the UI just like the number of ratchets parameter from say -12 to +12. The offset is added to to the current note, quantized to the current scale and that is the MIDI output. This generates some very interesting musical results when the the number of notes and number of offsets are different.

My favourite sequencer Kria which runs on Norns has this feature - I love it.

I definitely like that idea.

• @cuezaireekaa said:
    Oh wow this lil Buddy is fun, and super interesting! Well worth the price…

+1