Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help Triggering Different Patterns in Atom PR2

Hi,
I have 2 instances of Atom PR 2 in AUM. One instance is intended to be a song, where the notes are spaced out, and their only purpose is to send MIDI note messages to the 2nd instance of Atom PR2.

The 2nd instance of Atom PR2 has about 6 patterns; one for the intro, a pattern for verse 1, a pattern for chorus 1, etc. I am FURIOUSLY TRYING to trigger or play each of the patterns by sending a MIDI note from the 1st instance (and I'm the MIDI keyboard to 'test' out sending the notes that trigger which pattern to play.

I can't get it to work. It seems there are certain 'settings' you need. I do have each pattern set to play based on the triggering or playing of a certain MIDI note. When I play these notes - Atom Roll changes the focus of which pattern is seen, and it even says 'playing' on the label of the pattern - but it's not playing.

Any thoughts? Any GOOD tutorials on triggering patterns?

Thanks
AJ

Comments

• Did you ever get this sorted?

Make sure you use different notes to trigger clips vs. patterns. You may have used the same notes, causing the clip to stop unexpectedly.

If possible, set the clips to launch using different notes, and leave the pattern notes at the default. I.e. use higher note ranges to launch clips.

• @CracklePot

I am only using patterns. I have a pattern for the intro, a pattern for verse 1, a pattern for chorus 1, etc.

I am certain each pattern is triggered by a different MIDI note. At the top of each pattern it shows the note you've set to trigger it to play C0 D0 E0 F0, etc. I have set these myself.

My approach is to have one instance of Atom PR2 trigger or 'play' another instance. The first instance has a single MIDI note: C0 (the intro pattern) for four bars, then it stops. At the start of bar five, I have D0 start for six bars, then it stops. At the start of bar or measure ten, MIDI note E0 starts and goes for eight measures, then stops. Etc.

It actually DOES WORK, well kinda sorta. The patterns are starting and stopping via MIDI notes...... however, sometimes the patterns start playing in the middle of the pattern rather than the beginning of the pattern. What's up with that? I think some of the Launchpad settings override or interfere with controlling patterns via MIDI notes?

I "KINDA" get the desire to make certain hardware (Launchpad) integrate seamlessly with software; BUT when when your software has multiple ways of doing the same function; DANGER WILL ROBISON.

It's sooOOOOOoOOOoo frustrating. I've got HOURS wrapped in this already.

• If you want to post your AUM session, I can try a take a closer look. It may be a certain option or setting is off, like you suspect. Looking at the session will be much faster than this q&a thing.

• @Vmusic said:
    @CracklePot

I am only using patterns. I have a pattern for the intro, a pattern for verse 1, a pattern for chorus 1, etc.

I am certain each pattern is triggered by a different MIDI note. At the top of each pattern it shows the note you've set to trigger it to play C0 D0 E0 F0, etc. I have set these myself.

My approach is to have one instance of Atom PR2 trigger or 'play' another instance. The first instance has a single MIDI note: C0 (the intro pattern) for four bars, then it stops. At the start of bar five, I have D0 start for six bars, then it stops. At the start of bar or measure ten, MIDI note E0 starts and goes for eight measures, then stops. Etc.

It actually DOES WORK, well kinda sorta. The patterns are starting and stopping via MIDI notes...... however, sometimes the patterns start playing in the middle of the pattern rather than the beginning of the pattern. What's up with that? I think some of the Launchpad settings override or interfere with controlling patterns via MIDI notes?

I "KINDA" get the desire to make certain hardware (Launchpad) integrate seamlessly with software; BUT when when your software has multiple ways of doing the same function; DANGER WILL ROBISON.

It's sooOOOOOoOOOoo frustrating. I've got HOURS wrapped in this already.

If it's any help, you can disable the Launchpad integration in Atom 2. Hamburger Menu > Toggle Scripts > remove checkbox next to the script.

• edited June 2022

Hey, real quick, try an octave up. In other words, where it says “C-1”, try “C”.

That is, in the first instance containing the “spread out” notes that you’re sending to switch the patterns in the second instance.

• @CracklePot

I've attached my AUM Session, well... I tried to. The forum would not let me attach a '*.proj' type file. So, I put it out here in my AWS (Amazon Web Services)/public cloud account.

https://my-forum-posts.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/IssueWithAtomRoll.aumproj

• Hi @Vmusic

I had a look at your Project, and it seems ok.
    It played Phasemaker fine (my substitute sound source, I don’t have those 2 apps you used).
    My guess is you probably did not have AUM playback running, so the Atoms look like they are playing, but are actually idle if the AUM transport is stopped.

The pattern triggering from the Song Atom or AUM kb seemed to work fine though. So double check that AUM is in the play state. And if you are still not hearing anything come out, try swapping in a simple sound source with no other midi mapping to see if it can playback your patterns.

• @CracklePot Thank you so much giving it a look.

• @Vmusic said:
    @CracklePot Thank you so much giving it a look.

You’re welcome.
    Any luck at all with your project?