Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad file browser to access Mac ... just does not work

tjatja
edited May 2022 in Other

I have my Mac added to my iPads Files App ... and it works fine!

But I have some other Apps that I would like to connect to the Mac:

FileBrowser
FE File Explorer
GoodReader

I tried all 3 of them and for the death of me, I cannot get a connection.

I only see "permission denied" (FE File Explorer), "authentication failed" (GoodReader, encryption enabled or not) or just a new login window (FileBrowser).

I tried it with "mini","\\mini", "\\mini.local" and "\\mini.fritz.box" which all should be OK.
Also FileBrowser can detect servers and found the Mac Mini.

I used the same login and password that I used for the Files App and double-checked with a ssh connection.
Just does not work ...

Is there some strange trick to get this working?
Or is Apple simply not allowing other Apps to login?!?

Strange thing ...

Comments

• Which file sharing protocol do you want to use?

• tjatja
    edited May 2022

@rs2000 said:
    Which file sharing protocol do you want to use?

Not sure what to answer here.

I can only select "macOS" (FE File Explorer Pro) or "Computer" (FileBrowser, which then automatically shows the Mac) or "Find Servers" (GoodReader, which also finds the Mac) .

On the Mac, I enabled "File Sharing" for my account and as seen in the iPad's Files App, this seems to work.

I would not assume that those Apps try different protocols than the Files App.

But I have no indication about the protocol - Apple is always to secretive ;-)
    They also call an ssh server a "Remote Login" ...

You seem to assume that there are different protocols in questions, but I see no way to configure this on the Mac or those iPad Apps.

EDIT: Checking again, the GoodReader App shows this:

mini.fritz.box
    SMB:\\MINI\

So, Samba seems to be tried.
    The right thing?

EDIT 2: I also checked the Mac again and I now see that it recommends to use: smb:\\mini.fritz.box
    So, this should be the right thing

• AFP is being deprecated and SMB is the default now.
    Which I could remember if I should use 2 or 3 every time I set up a synology :\

• With my Synology, SMB is used only for discovering and mounting the shared volumes. AFP is used to access the contents of each share though.

• @qryss said:
    With my Synology, SMB is used only for discovering and mounting the shared volumes. AFP is used to access the contents of each share though.

I've yet to get full thruput using AFP

• edited June 2022

Accessing shared folders on my Mac with Filebrowser works fine if I use the Mac’s local IP address with SMB. (i.e. \\192.168.1.xx)

• edited June 2022

In my experience, accessing CIFS shares from iOS devices is largely hit and miss. But from what I remember, FE File Explorer uses its own CIFS client which works better than the one the Files app uses.

(if you wanna do yourself a favor, just jailbreak your devices and use sshfs 😂)

ONLY HALF SERIOUS! I know this is not an option for most ☺️

• I prefer 5-1/4" floppies. It took quite a bit of engineering to make an iOS adapter that works, but it was worth it.