Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What cool things can be done with two iPads?

So I got myself another iPad (Pro this time).

Could flip the other, or.. what else, music-wise, should I be doing with the ultimate power of TWO IPADS?!

Comments

• You could use one with each hand.

• edited May 2022

What can be done with 2 iPads? The same as you can do with 1 iPad x 2 :) ... sensible answers might include:

• Use the more powerful one as the music engine, and the other one as a control surface ...
    • Split your set into 2 AUM sets, synched with Ableton Link
    • Use one for a playable instrument like Samplr, Borderlands Granular, or a drum pad based one, and other other for all your other synths\fx
  • You could turn one into a control surface for the other, making your own bespoke setup with TouchOSC or the excellent options within Loopy Pro

• You could turn them into deluxe serving trays.

• You can mix between two Launchpads. Or you can get a little bit groovy with two servings of DJDJ. You can have drums on one iPad and everything else on another.

• edited May 2022

I have and use two iPads regularly.

At the moment one is for Loopy Pro,
    as a multitimbral sound source and VS Synth
    and the other is for dRambo, AUM and Cubasis 3.

Ableton Link and Midi Clock is a must for sure.

• @Tarekith said:
    You could use one with each hand.

Or one with each band, synced over LINK 😄

• A stereoscopic version of this ?

• If you have an iconnect midi box you can run midi and audio back and forth between the two. Use one as a sound source for sampling or sound design. As other have stated, use one for a custom control surface for anything you'd like.

• If you give them to large companies they can set them up in a way that makes the completely useless for anything other than running the required software. As a bonus it removes all possibility of the user troubleshooting any issues and provides ongoing stability, connectivity, inter-app communication and usability issues.

• If the two iPads are the same model, they can open up a portal to a parallel universe, where all your dreams come true.

At least that's what the Apple salesperson told me.

For some reason, that hasn't worked. Maybe I'm holding them wrong.

• edited June 2022

There’s a great beta available for free in the forum called Wireless AUv3 which allows you to send the audio of one iPad to the other, so you have more cpu to work with. Sonobus is another app that helps with that. Same with Solo Contutti, and the Solo Contutti companion app.

You can also connect then with Bluetooth, I think, and send midi from one to the other, so one can be a controller and the other your sound source.

Or link tempo and use them as two instruments, playing in time.

• You can also use one as a music visualizer, and get your audio/visual on.

• I run one iPad as a controller with Guitarism 🙃

• @robosardine said:
    You can mix between two Launchpads. Or you can get a little bit groovy with two servings of DJDJ. You can have drums on one iPad and everything else on another.

I’ve often thought about a setup with 2 iPads running Launchpad or Loopy pro, and a mini dj mixer in between them.

• Ableton Link and the magical Launchpad app.. well with Bloc Wave.

• I hate switching back and forth between the sequencers and AUM. It kills my workflow.
    So how about using the old iPad as a midi controller or a sequencer (LK, Atom or Xequence) while running some synth apps on the new iPad in AUM?

• @CapnWillie said:
    Give them away. 🔥

There’s that as well.
    Send them in my direction, I’ll put them to good use. 😁

• i don’t know, but don’t leave them alone in a room together, and never ever feed them after midnight!

• Turn on front facing camera on both and point them at each other. Pan dimensional teseract battles

• Facetime yourself.

• @eross said:
    i don’t know, but don’t leave them alone in a room together, and never ever feed them after midnight!

And keep them away from water…

https://thterrortime.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/GREMLINS-2.jpg